Titans name Tim Kelly as OC

RaidersAreOne

Meh.  I'm not too upset about the hire myself.  Better options were out there, sure, but I'm betting that really really good OC candidates didn't want to take on a team staring down a rebuild.

The indefensibly stupid part of this is that they didn't fire Downing after the Chargers game.  It was clear, at that point, that Downing was going to be fired.  It was possibly his most incompetent performance in a season full of incompetent playcalling.  Everyone knew Kelly was the most likely replacement, he was already on staff, and you were going into a game against the then Number 1 overall pick having Texans, with a golden opportunity to give a trial run to the prime candidate to be your OC next season, and instead, you hold onto the guy that you, your boss, your staff, and your entire fanbase know you're gonna fire in three weeks.

Oh yeah, and you just need to win one of the three remaining games to likely make it to the playoffs.

22 hours ago, ET80 said:

I don’t know if he drinks, but I got the ultimate cherry on top for you…
(an image you can't unsee)
Go ahead and complete the set!

Vrabel likes five finger discounted beer, Easterby drinks holy water and sells snake oil. Is that compatible?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Didn’t everyone laugh when Arthur Smith was promoted from being the Tight Ends coach? Sometimes these hires look bad on the surface, but there’s an obvious upside to creating a pipeline of coaching.

certainly. but everyone cringed when downing was promoted from being TEs coach to replace smith and, well, that went basically like everyone expected and worse. kelly has a track record of success in the passing game which is ultimately what we need, and i have a very difficult time believing he will be as bad as or worse than downing. but after such a disastrous year on offense, it’s very uninspiring to have not even scratched the surface in terms of looking into guys who can bring new ideas from outside the building- especially given our entire staff is basically texans north at this point.

• Like 4