The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

10 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

When they happen late in the season and for the positions you failed to address earlier, there's undeniably luck involved in there.

Although we had an odd run of players choosing not to play here last season, same as coaches downright rejecting us one year prior to that. 

What isn’t luck is having the discipline and patience to not overreact and sign mid to bad players earlier, so you have the ability to jump when good players become available 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, eagles91 said:

To your point, even a supremely talented defense lost the Superbowl. This thinking will sound backwards, but I think a less talented defense that simply takes a more disciplined approach to defending motion concepts and implementing disguised blitz packages is better off. A lot riding on Desai. But there is no reason that a middle of the road defense that can do those two things paired with this offense shouldn't be successful. Like, if they just do something against good QBs they can run it back.

The defense is going to be less talented no matter what, but I would rather see it being an experience problem than a talent problem. Draft top defensive players and let the 2nd year players get their time. That being said our offense is still going to be good obviously but where we will see the difference is when we play teams like the 49ers or Dallas who can contain our offense and where our defense just doesnt execute enough to stop them, whereas last year we did.

2 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

Or it guarantees everyone jumps us on draft day like it has happened before. 

You’re always so negative for no reason lol. You’re making up scenarios for why we get sniped in the first round in early March. Calm down.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

That being said our offense is still going to be good obviously but where we will see the difference is when we play teams like the 49ers or Dallas who can contain our offense and where our defense just doesnt execute enough to stop them, whereas last year we did.

I get those teams potentially exploiting our defense but when did Dallas or SF contain our offense?

16 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

The defense is going to be less talented no matter what, but I would rather see it being an experience problem than a talent problem. Draft top defensive players and let the 2nd year players get their time. That being said our offense is still going to be good obviously but where we will see the difference is when we play teams like the 49ers or Dallas who can contain our offense and where our defense just doesnt execute enough to stop them, whereas last year we did.

It's an interesting conversation that somewhat hinges around players vs. scheme. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it sounds like you're saying you would rather have younger, more talented players that lack experience. I don't know that I totally agree. I think I would rather see them take high picks on say a RB and TE. Bolster the offense to the point where they can truly play any way they want, from any formation, in any situation, on any down. Then be smart with their free agent signings on defense. Target guys who have been released and won't count against comp picks next year. Sure, re-sign Hargrave, or sign a guy like Zach Allen. D-line should remain a priority. Then load up on defense in the next draft.

Edited by eagles91

8 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Lmao @ all of the RIP Eagles stuff I'm seeing on Twitter. I don't even get on there much but I'm seeing it. Such an overreaction society we live in nowadays. 

I mean it’s gonna be hard not to regress from this past year with probably the toughest projected schedule in the NFL, the coach turnover and amount of talent we’ll be losing via free agency. 

I get why our opps are getting excited.

But, just knowing the job Howie’s done the past 2 years makes me feel better about having another good offseason at least in terms of doing more with less. We’re gonna be looking down the barrel at guys who were cut and won’t count against the comp pick formula. Making signings or trades in the summer. 

Hopefully we’ll get early production out of our top 3 picks this year and the guys that were waiting in the wings like Dean and Jurgens step up to the plate.

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

I mean it’s gonna be hard not to regress from this past year with probably the toughest projected schedule in the NFL, the coach turnover and amount of talent we’ll be losing via free agency. 

But, just knowing the job Howie’s done the past 2 years makes me feel better about having another good offseason at least in terms of doing more with less. We’re gonna be looking down the barrel at guys who were cut and won’t count against the comp pick formula. Making signings or trades in the summer. 

Hopefully we’ll get early production out of our top 3 picks this year and the guys that were waiting in the wings like Dean and Jurgens step up to the plate.

I know we won't be as talented -on paper-, but the doomsday vibes are just all totally off. Keep seeing the lists of who we could lose, as if it's something nobody knew was coming lmao

19 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

You’re always so negative for no reason lol. You’re making up scenarios for why we get sniped in the first round in early March. Calm down.

It's a reply, I didn't bring it out of the blue. It's in early march because that's the date the comment I replied to was made. Why do we all have to think the same way in here? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I get those teams potentially exploiting our defense but when did Dallas or SF contain our offense?

Dallas held us to only 6 points in the 2nd half when they played at Philly and SF held us to 7 points to the 2 min warning until the QB issues were too much to bear and it helped break their defense.

We have to keep in mind that if our defense is giving up more points then our offense is not going to be ran the same way. Hurts is going to have to throw more to keep up without using so much time. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

What narrative? Why are you so defensive with this?

I mean those players were did not arrive on their own, there's credit for actually making those trades above someone else, but there's definitely luck involved because coming out of the draft once again empty handed in regards of a CB was questionable at best as much as you can see Bradberry being cut.

Let's not act like the guy can't do no wrong and say things like "have faith in Howie" stuff like that. I'm not hating as you incessantly claim, I give plenty of credit for what he does right and criticize the things he is not good at. Even things like he sucks at drafting you feel the need to defend. 

There isn't a discussion to be had here. You aren't honest. You call yourself a Howie hater. You consistently always point out his flaws as if those are the things that define him while downplaying anything positive he has ever done. You frame him signing and trading for good players as accidents.

It is just silly that you are sitting here saying I am looking to defend him over everything when I am simply being objective and you are stuck bashing him whenever you possibly can even when it is absolutely made up.

The narrative is simple. You don't like Howie. You want Howie to look bad. You can say otherwise, but anyone with an ounce of honestly on this board can see it clear as day.

28 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

What isn’t luck is having the discipline and patience to not overreact and sign mid to bad players earlier, so you have the ability to jump when good players become available 

It is luck when it pans out. We had issues with the secondary for ages now, to the point that the DL we invest so heavily in was negated by 3 step drop-backs, all of those times, our discipline and patience not to overreact didn't bring us anyone. 

It is so frustrating that the year we finally had good starters in 2/3 levels of the defense we had Gannon who did not maximize those resources. 

14 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

This will definitely be one of Howie's hardest jobs to keep us competitive defensively. It isn't looking great and we have a lot of spots to fill. I won't panic over it and I hope he can get the job done, but there is gunna be a step back talent wise.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I know we won't be as talented -on paper-, but the doomsday vibes are just all totally off. Keep seeing the lists of who we could lose, as if it's something nobody knew was coming lmao

I definitely don’t see a doomsday scenario like I still think we will make the playoffs in a weak NFC even if we don’t repeat as division champs.