2023 off-season thread

paul-mac

2 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

They could always draft a QB on a rookie contract, and bench Russ, which will probably cause Russ to seek a trade, in which case he probably would have to restructure his contract with whoever else is willing to take him.  

I don't mind this scenario as the QB prospects look good this year coming out of college.  Caleb Williams, Penis from Washington seems intriguing.  Was that the same Penis from Indiana? 

We still do phrasing?

52 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Watch Payton trade for Trey Lance and build a Taysom Hill package for him. 

The Taysom Hill role would be the one fit that could be justified on our end.   Lance has the athleticism for that kind of package.  But as far as being a legit QB, he really needs so much more time to develop.     It's not his fault he sat for 2+ years (season-ending injury early in game 2 last year was a major wrench in his developmental curve), but it is what it is.

The issue remains on what SF would ask for - as much as they want to commit to Purdy, giving away Lance doesn't sound it's the plan (if it was, MIN & SF would have done a deal pre-draft).   Now, with the PR storm that's hitting them, maybe that changes, but obv we're not in a great position to be spending more premium picks, if it's not a legit QB candidate (Taysom Hill isn't that IMO).

If there were wagers, I'd say MIN would be the most likely spot, given their prior interest this offseason.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 1:33 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

I don't see a world where Russell Wilson isn't on the roster in 2024. We'd lose $50m against the cap (via $85m dead cap) for trading or cutting him, - that's just too much to deal with, regardless of how bad he plays.

If he is that bad in 2023, then others have said, we'll have a high enough pick to go select his replacement who can then compete with him in 2024.

2025 we'd gain c. $6m against the cap for cutting him, albeit with $50m dead cap. That feels like a definite opportunity to cut ties if he's that bad.

Let's give 2023 a go first though, ay?

Good points, but............

Sean's got 5 years at $18 mil per to turn this team into a perennial contender. His sights will be definitely long term. If he see's Russ as our QB in 2026/27 then he'll be fine. If he feels it's better to move on without him now he'll do it, regardless of the cap. That's on George, not him.

Anyway, I agree completely with the 2023 sentiment. Lets see what we've got. Weaknesses in coaching, attitude and personnel will be mighty easy to identify and he's not got a lot of time to fix it. IMO we haven't had this many questions  and possible holes in this team since the 1960's. 

Seans got his work cut out for him.

Edited by AKRNA
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Good points, but............

Sean's got 5 years at $18 mil per to turn this team into a perennial contender. His sights will be definitely long term. If he see's Russ as our QB in 2026/27 then he'll be fine. If he feels it's better to move on without him now he'll do it, regardless of the cap. That's on George, not him.

I know what you mean, but what world would we be better without him and $50m in cap space? We could literally just keep him on the roster, not play him, and keep the $50m.

This isn't like one of those PR disaster players that you cut because they've done something unethical, thus you have to eat the cap. This is just a guy underperforming. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I know what you mean, but what world would we be better without him and $50m in cap space? We could literally just keep him on the roster, not play him, and keep the $50m.

This isn't like one of those PR disaster players that you cut because they've done something unethical, thus you have to eat the cap. This is just a guy underperforming. 

Would Wilson ride the pine? I think he would rather retire or be traded than sit in shame and have to deal with that negative narrative. That's why I don't see him on the roster in 2024 if he plays like last year.

4 hours ago, The Helicopter said:

Would Wilson ride the pine? I think he would rather retire or be traded than sit in shame and have to deal with that negative narrative. That's why I don't see him on the roster in 2024 if he plays like last year.

$39m to not play? Hell yeah I can see him riding the pine, clapping and pretending to be interested with a headset on.

10 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

It's a dilemma, that's for sure. I don't see us with Russ on the roster in 26/27 unless he makes a remarkable comeback in an offense he's not suited to. That's a $55 mil cap hit for a team that has to be really competitive for Sean to keep his job.

It'll get sorted soon enough. 

47 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

$39m to not play? Hell yeah I can see him riding the pine, clapping and pretending to be interested with a headset on.

I get it, but the man has so much money already and it seems like such a low note to go out on and end his career. Unless he picks it back up again the next with another team. Such a tarnish to his "legacy".

44 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

It's a dilemma, that's for sure. I don't see us with Russ on the roster in 26/27 unless he makes a remarkable comeback in an offense he's not suited to. That's a $55 mil cap hit for a team that has to be really competitive for Sean to keep his job.

It'll get sorted soon enough. 

Huh?

The Walmarts aren’t going to fire Sean if Russ proves to be washed. One, both the Walmarts and Sean didn’t bring in Russ and two, firing Sean for that would destroy their reputation around the league. The Walmarts want to run this organization like the Rooneys, not like the Davises and Haslems.

Absent a major scandal (or a series of them) or Sean morphing into a Nathaniel Hackett level of ineptitude, he’s not going anywhere for at least 5 seasons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Huh?

The Walmarts aren’t going to fire Sean if Russ proves to be washed. One, both the Walmarts and Sean didn’t bring in Russ and two, firing Sean for that would destroy their reputation around the league. The Walmarts want to run this organization like the Rooneys, not like the Davises and Haslems.

Absent a major scandal (or a series of them) or Sean morphing into a Nathaniel Hackett level of ineptitude, he’s not going anywhere for at least 5 seasons.

The bigger question is will Payton stay for the full on rebuild.   Context is different because he just got here but he bailed on NO when the butchers bill (which got extended by the 2017 draft class and then the post-TB12 TAM voidable year extension trick) came due.  One can argue he’d been there so long it was time for a change but that’s the risk from his tenure there.      

Russ failing won’t fall on Payton’s lap.   Him leaving if he’s not up for a full on rebuild is the concern.   Barring that IMO the new owners will give him a lot of leash given his track record.   

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Huh?

I was talking about 2027. 

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

The bigger question is will Payton stay for the full on rebuild.   Context is different because he just got here but he bailed on NO when the butchers bill (which got extended by the 2017 draft class and then the post-TB12 TAM voidable year extension trick) came due.  One can argue he’d been there so long it was time for a change but that’s the risk from his tenure there.      

Russ failing won’t fall on Payton’s lap.   Him leaving if he’s not up for a full on rebuild is the concern.   Barring that IMO the new owners will give him a lot of leash given his track record.   

I understand the concern of him bolting, but I can’t imagine Payton took this job with a Russ-or-bust mentality. There’s literally only one person in the world who thinks Russ Wilson is the future of the Broncos QB position.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 7:51 PM, broncosfan_101 said:

Watch Payton trade for Trey Lance and build a Taysom Hill package for him. 

This would’ve made a LOT more sense for the player than going to Dallas. 

Dallas?? They’ve got a quality 1 and 2. Lance is arguably in a worse spot than he was in SF. Tough