2023 Sign, Draft, or Promote: #2 WR

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the #2 WR  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the #2 WR

• Renegotiate and Retain Adam Thielen
    • Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new WR
    • Promote KJ Osborn
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

My head tells me that we’ll be saying goodbye. 

My heart hopes he posts a specific Wolf Of Wall Street .gif

I suspect the same, but I also think it's about time.  He took a step back last year and I'm not sure he'll be a significant contributor from here on out even if he were to return.

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

I suspect the same, but I also think it's about time.  He took a step back last year and I'm not sure he'll be a significant contributor from here on out even if he were to return.

I disagree. He’s not the top 25 receiver he used to be, but he’s still valuable and a higher end WR3. And I think he’d be even better if he played more out of the slot, and his savvy route running in the red zone is going to be very hard to replace. 

Id love for the team to find a way to keep him for another year or two, and then draft someone to eventually be that WR2. 

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I disagree. He’s not the top 25 receiver he used to be, but he’s still valuable and a higher end WR3. And I think he’d be even better if he played more out of the slot, and his savvy route running in the red zone is going to be very hard to replace. 

Id love for the team to find a way to keep him for another year or two, and then draft someone to eventually be that WR2. 

He already has started to lose those red zone looks to Hockenson.  I expect that to escalate, because he really wasn't even the primary red zone look until Rudolph left.  I just believe what he can provide at this point is replaceable, but that's fine, that's just how I feel.   

some WRs I like around pick 87

-Tyler Scott 8.30 RAS 5'10 177lbs

-Rashee Rice 9.65 RAS 6'1 204lbs

-Jayden Reed 6.18 RAS 5'10 187lbs

-Trey Palmer INC RAS but 4.33 40  6'0 192lbs

Palmer is bolded because the dude can BURN. I think he's perfect as that field stretcher that defenses would need to account for. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I just don't think the combine did much outside of solidify it for me.

1. He's not a burner, but he has plenty of speed. That long speed thing has been blown so far out of proportion I honestly do believe. He separation the year before last wasn't even a question. 2 years ago he was far and along the best receiver at Ohio St, ahead of Wilson and Olave. Most believed he was going to be a top 5 pick heading into this year.

2. He really didn't need to be thrown out on the outside, Olave and Wilson had the speed and with how good JSN was in the middle of the field, why not work all 3 of them like that? Last year he would have probably played more outside.

3. His health isn't too much of a concern to me. He missed most of the year with a Hammy, basically played it safe. They were going to work him back in and it wasn't right yet. Sounds like he was even healthy enough to play in the playoffs last year, but still probably made the right decision to play it safe.

I honestly do get the questioning to him because he truly has never "proved" his doubts that were out there, but watching him outside of anything he did last year I just can't say I see a WR better than him in this draft.

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Is that source Thielen’s agent, trying to put the last bit of pressure on the Vikings, or draw any more possible interest? 

I will be sad when Thielen is gone. 

The reality is that the free agency market at WR is pretty sparse, so someone would certainly be willing to pay Thielen...probably not what he's currently making, but probably close.  Schefter has now said the same thing that Ben did. 

just so everyone is on the same page, WR is a big need. Why?

1. Thielen looks to be gone

2. Osborn is last year of his rookie year

3. Reagor in last year of his rookie deal

4. Nailor is an unknown 6th round 2nd year player.

You have all universe in JJ, but it gets very thin behind him for the future. 

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

just so everyone is on the same page, WR is a big need. Why?

1. Thielen looks to be gone

2. Osborn is last year of his rookie year

3. Reagor in last year of his rookie deal

4. Nailor is an unknown 6th round 2nd year player.

You have all universe in JJ, but it gets very thin behind him for the future. 

I can agree with that but doing something with the 31st ranked defense is an even bigger need. Not worried about Osborn yet, will have to work something out with him next year but hopefully the cap situation will be improved. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I can agree with that but doing something with the 31st ranked defense is an even bigger need. Not worried about Osborn yet, will have to work something out with him next year but hopefully the cap situation will be improved. 

right now, vikings are 98M under the projected 256M cap for 2024.

edit: if AT is gone like we think, 2024 cap jumps to 120M under if pre 6/1, if post 6/1, 113M under.

Edited by battle2heaven

WR is a need, but I'm still not saying it's a big need even if Thielen is gone.  You pick up 1 guy in free agency, you still have 5 guys, plus Trishton Jackson (who looked decent in training camp last year) and Thomas Hennigan.  You can add also add guys in as UDFAs for competition at the bottom of the roster.

I'm not worried about Osborn and Reagor being in the last years of their deals...this is a weak draft for WRs anyway and next year will be far better.  If Thielen is gone, that just improves the odds of Osborn signing an extension as he won't have anyone to compete with for playing time as the #2, which is good for both the Vikings and him.  

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

It's probably a little far-fetched since he basically makes more than Thielen does, but hey...

Trading for Hopkins would cost $19M. Obviously a team could easily convert some of that salary into a signing bonus, but that’s still a greater commitment. 

I’d rather have OBJ

Edited by SemperFeist