2023 Sign, Draft, or Promote: #2 WR

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the #2 WR  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the #2 WR

• Renegotiate and Retain Adam Thielen
    • Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new WR
    • Promote KJ Osborn
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

2 minutes ago, Boda said:

When is the last time the VIkings have had a true deep threat?  BB? Unless they're spending a high pick on say JSN no one on the team is bringing that coverage off of JJ.  We seen that all this past year with Osborn playing opposite. 

What I'm saying is that it doesn't matter. Teams are going to double and triple JJ, deep threat or not. I'd rather have a guy that can fit into more looks in the offense and execute the offense as designed than put a guy out there that everyone knows is going to run go/deep post routes and sit on that. JJ and TJ are going to occupy most of the defensive coverage no matter who else is on the field. Draft/sign the player that that takes advantage of that within the structure of the offensive design.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

What I'm saying is that it doesn't matter. Teams are going to double and triple JJ, deep threat or not. I'd rather have a guy that can fit into more looks in the offense and execute the offense as designed than put a guy out there that everyone knows is going to run go/deep post routes and sit on that. JJ and TJ are going to occupy most of the defensive coverage no matter who else is on the field. Draft/sign the player that that takes advantage of that within the structure of the offensive design.

Disagree. With a legitimate Deep Threat teams will be forced to respect it and they'll have to take at the very least that 3rd guy off of him, Im also not saying that is said players only route, this is why I really like Chark in FA but adding a legit deep threat doesn't change the offense it only adds to it and most likely expands it & they'll still have the route technician JJ & Im not against adding another savvy route technician such as JSN(big fan).

Id love to see them sign Chark & draft JSN if the situation was possible.  Thatd be an elite Receiver room plus itd be fun to watch Twitter explode 

1 minute ago, Boda said:

Disagree. With a legitimate Deep Threat teams will be forced to respect it and they'll have to take at the very least that 3rd guy off of him, Im also not saying that is said players only route, this is why I really like Chark in FA but adding a legit deep threat doesn't change the offense it only adds to it and most likely expands it & they'll still have the route technician JJ & Im not against adding another savvy route technician such as JSN(big fan).

Id love to see them sign Chark & draft JSN if the situation was possible.  Thatd be an elite Receiver room plus itd be fun to watch Twitter explode 

I get this take, and it's fine to disagree with me - after all why else are we here? I'm just saying that deep speed is way down the skills list for me personally on a WR addition. Being able to execute out of the motion and trips looks that the offense is designed for is WAY more important to me. Give me a guy that gets open quickly, can really block out of bunch formations, and separates on crossers 10 times out of 10.

I'm a fan of Chark, too, but more so because I think he brings a size element and CAN run more than just the vertical stuff that he was doing in JAX.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

How much logic is there in spending significant free agent dollars, or an early draft pick in a player who’s going to be the 4th receiving option? 

Chark would be instant #2 & JSN at worst would be #3 not sure who's pushing either of those guys to 4th.  I could also see JSN surpassing Osborn as the season went on for that 2nd spot.  The only other WR I'd draft early is Johnston but I think hes gone top 15 and probably earlier

EDIT: I misread it.  I still think Chark would be 2nd or 3rd option at worst and JSN could start as the 4th but as the season went on I could see him becoming that 3rd option

Edited by Boda

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

How much logic is there in spending significant free agent dollars, or an early draft pick in a player who’s going to be the 4th receiving option? 

I mis-read this. I wasnt counting TJ .. my bad

14 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Agree.  Without Thielen (and the fact that it's a pre-6/1 cut), it's fairly clear the direction that the team is taking...so Chark is probably off the list as a reasonable FA acquisition.  If there's another FA out there with a similar skill-set that's going to be cheaper, that's an option...like as someone mentioned previously, Parris Campbell.  He'd be a much cheaper option.  I do value at least the threat of being a deep option a little higher.  Campbell has an injury history which will probably depress his salary, but if he could stay healthy, he would provide that skill.

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I think it's a little much to expect Nailor to be the replacement for Osborn.  I think Nailor has a chance to be a quality backup, but he'd have to take a pretty big leap to get to Osborn's level (who we clearly know has a great work ethic to improve himself).  Otherwise, I do agree that we need a legitimate deep threat, as I've been advocating for that the last few days...but I think Osborn would be a solid #2, while Nailor has yet to prove anything. 

McCardell was really high on Nailor and was apparently banging the table for him when he was drafted. I trust what he's done with, and seen in, the other receivers so far. If they don't add a WR in the draft or FA, I'll still feel pretty good about where that group stands.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Gotta be one of the younger WR rooms now in the entire NFL.

Raeger seems like one of those guys that's been around a lot longer than that for some reason.....

I'm not in love with that group, but then, I don't have expectations about next year, so if they want to see what they can get out of the ones not named JJ or KJ, I'm ok with that (I'd take a WR in the late round).

2 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I get this take, and it's fine to disagree with me - after all why else are we here? I'm just saying that deep speed is way down the skills list for me personally on a WR addition. Being able to execute out of the motion and trips looks that the offense is designed for is WAY more important to me. Give me a guy that gets open quickly, can really block out of bunch formations, and separates on crossers 10 times out of 10.

I'm a fan of Chark, too, but more so because I think he brings a size element and CAN run more than just the vertical stuff that he was doing in JAX.

If we are thinking about drafting an early WR, I like Zay Flowers, Josh Downs, and JSN. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I guess I will never understand to high want from so many for DJ Chark. 

If they’re going to target someone in FA, at least get someone who has a history of staying on the field. 

The fascination comes from a year of him being the star WR on a Jags team. I still think he’s going to be more expensive than what I would want for a FA WR at his level. 

If we are going to spend money on a FA WR I would rather go the Mecole Hardman line. Even the Paris Campbell line of thinking.