2023 Sign, Draft, or Promote: #2 WR

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the #2 WR  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the #2 WR

• Renegotiate and Retain Adam Thielen
    • Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new WR
    • Promote KJ Osborn
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

My preference is to sign DJ Chark.  The Vikings offense needs a consistent deep threat on the field to make the offense most efficient.  I wouldnt mind AT back at a reduced salary but then they still need that deep threat and Im not sure where it would come from as I dont see anyone replacing any of the top 3.  I also love JSN in the draft but I highly doubt many would be okay with the selection of a WR round 1

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Boda said:

My preference is to sign DJ Chark.  The Vikings offense needs a consistent deep threat on the field to make the offense most efficient.  I wouldnt mind AT back at a reduced salary but then they still need that deep threat and Im not sure where it would come from as I dont see anyone replacing any of the top 3.  I also love JSN in the draft but I highly doubt many would be okay with the selection of a WR round 1

If it’s JSN I can 100% get behind it. Depending on how the board shakes out there’s a few others I wouldn’t hate but not be a fan of it. If JSN is realistically there he really should be the pick with how many of the top defensive players would already be off the board. I’m my opinion that would be a BPA pick.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I honestly wonder what OBJ would bring for a year after not playing at all last year. 

Id definitely kick the tires.  At this point im leaving no stone unturned.  The last I heard is he wanted a multi year contract though although I have no idea if that is true or not. I think he might need to sign a 1yr prove it type of contract 

50 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I really want Jalen Nailor to make a huge jump this offseason and step up as a top 3 receiver for us haha

Any development from within is awesome & it seems every year atleast 1 guy makes a jump.  I hate saying this but I kind of always viewed the Nailor selection as a future Osborn replacement.  Maybe im completely misguided though

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boda said:

Any development from within is awesome & it seems every year atleast 1 guy makes a jump.  I hate saying this but I kind of always viewed the Nailor selection as a future Osborn replacement.  Maybe im completely misguided though

Probably not a huge priority, but I would look at extending Osborn this offseason. He's grown every year and has become a pretty dependable guy, IMO.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Boda said:

Osborn is getting paid regardless if he's our #2 or #3 this year. I want to keep him, but chances are, he'll get WR2 money with a guarantee to start somewhere in 2024. Teams who can't develop receivers often must overpay to get one in Free Agency.

That said, isn't Nailor strictly a boundary receiver?

3 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Probably not a huge priority, but I would look at extending Osborn this offseason. He's grown every year and has become a pretty dependable guy, IMO.

I wouldnt mind the extension as long as it isn't crazy money. I do think he's down the list a little ways though in terms of an extension.  IMO the 2 most important are the obvious ones that Im sure has been talked about already here but just in case it hasnt JJ & TJ.  They also need to decide what they're doing with the QB situaion which could result in another Kirk extension, O'Neil restructure & hopefully another Hunter extension as well.

2 minutes ago, Boda said:

I wouldnt mind the extension as long as it isn't crazy money. I do think he's down the list a little ways though in terms of an extension.  IMO the 2 most important are the obvious ones that Im sure has been talked about already here but just in case it hasnt JJ & TJ.  They also need to decide what they're doing with the QB situaion which could result in another Kirk extension, O'Neil restructure & hopefully another Hunter extension as well.

Well, with the release of Thielen, it does become a little higher of a priority.  He's obviously not going to get the same type of money that Thielen was owed, but they could extend him on the hopes that he could become as productive and would get that type of salary further down the line.  Whether he'd want to do that or not is another question.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Well, with the release of Thielen, it does become a little higher of a priority.  He's obviously not going to get the same type of money that Thielen was owed, but they could extend him on the hopes that he could become as productive and would get that type of salary further down the line.  Whether he'd want to do that or not is another question.

I disagree.  I just dont see this as a blindside cut as it was expected I know some were hoping for a restructure.  IMO I think the new regime gave it 1 year with the last regimes players and now they want to install & introduce their own players & I still view Nailor as their replacement for Osborn.  Again I could be way off base & completely misguided.  I think they'll still look to FA to add a guy and/or the draft.  I think what this did was raise the priority of drafting a WR.  I stand by the fact i think this offense needs a legitimate deep threat on the field damn near every down for it to be most efficient otherwise I just don't see opposing teams stop double & triple covering JJ

3 minutes ago, Boda said:

I disagree.  I just dont see this as a blindside cut as it was expected I know some were hoping for a restructure.  IMO I think the new regime gave it 1 year with the last regimes players and now they want to install & introduce their own players & I still view Nailor as their replacement for Osborn.  Again I could be way off base & completely misguided.  I think they'll still look to FA to add a guy and/or the draft.  I think what this did was raise the priority of drafting a WR.  I stand by the fact i think this offense needs a legitimate deep threat on the field damn near every down for it to be most efficient otherwise I just don't see opposing teams stop double & triple covering JJ

I think it's a little much to expect Nailor to be the replacement for Osborn.  I think Nailor has a chance to be a quality backup, but he'd have to take a pretty big leap to get to Osborn's level (who we clearly know has a great work ethic to improve himself).  Otherwise, I do agree that we need a legitimate deep threat, as I've been advocating for that the last few days...but I think Osborn would be a solid #2, while Nailor has yet to prove anything. 

I just don't see where this offense utilizes a deep threat/take the top off of the defense guy very often. It's all predicated on timing and scheming players open. Great route running and 10 yard split time is WAY more important than long/40 speed. Creating separation means creating YAC opportunities, which is where this offense really shines.

If long speed is a part of the bag of tricks, great - but I'm not prioritizing that skill for any WR they want to bring in. Draft or free agency.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I just don't see where this offense utilizes a deep threat/take the top off of the defense guy very often. It's all predicated on timing and scheming players open. Great route running and 10 yard split time is WAY more important than long/40 speed. Creating separation means creating YAC opportunities, which is where this offense really shines.

If long speed is a part of the bag of tricks, great - but I'm not prioritizing that skill for any WR they want to bring in. Draft or free agency.

When is the last time the VIkings have had a true deep threat?  BB? Unless they're spending a high pick on say JSN no one on the team is bringing that coverage off of JJ.  We seen that all this past year with Osborn playing opposite.