2023 Sign, Draft, or Promote: #2 WR

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the #2 WR  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the #2 WR

• Renegotiate and Retain Adam Thielen
    • Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new WR
    • Promote KJ Osborn
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

JSN led the nation in this 2 years ago.

yeah. I'd love to draft him. My argument was not anti-JSN. I was saying that I don't see the need or understand the fascination with pure speed guys in this offense.

9 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

yeah. I'd love to draft him. My argument was not anti-JSN. I was saying that I don't see the need or understand the fascination with pure speed guys in this offense.

Figure Hockenson and Osborn give the team good possession options. With Jefferson and Hockenson drawing a ton of attention, I could see the desire for a receiver who can get vertical and stress the defense in a different way. Don’t think teams gave Thielen or Osborn that respect last year and it will certainly help Jefferson. Now you don’t need to just be a pure speed guy to be a deep threat, but I’d certainly love to add that dynamic to the offense and has a guy who can flat out fly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Figure Hockenson and Osborn give the team good possession options. With Jefferson and Hockenson drawing a ton of attention, I could see the desire for a receiver who can get vertical and stress the defense in a different way. Don’t think teams gave Thielen or Osborn that respect last year and it will certainly help Jefferson. Now you don’t need to just be a pure speed guy to be a deep threat, but I’d certainly love to add that dynamic to the offense and has a guy who can flat out fly.

I’m not investing a lot of resources in that guy, though. Reagor can get vertical, Nailor can get vertical. If Parris Campbell is on a cheap prove it deal, he can too. I would spend more in draft capital or free agent money on a guy that can be a regular and meaningful contributor in the offense, ala JSN or Chark when healthy.

5 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I’m not investing a lot of resources in that guy, though. Reagor can get vertical, Nailor can get vertical. If Parris Campbell is on a cheap prove it deal, he can too. I would spend more in draft capital or free agent money on a guy that can be a regular and meaningful contributor in the offense, ala JSN or Chark when healthy.

I probably wouldn’t either given the issues on defense. 

Well, with Dantzler cut, the Vikes have about 1/2 as many legit CBs (Booth, Evans, Jackson) under contract as WRs . . . so, it'd make perfect sense to draft a WR at #23 🤣🙄

I did not know Reagor's deal included $13.27M guaranteed, but I guess that rookie deal is slotted slightly ahead of JJ.  I kinda think things will be flippin' soon.  I also don't know how accurate Sportrac is with #s, but if they're legit, Ryan Wright, with a whopping guaranteed salary of $20,000, is waaayyyyy underpaid! (total sidebar, ooops).

So, the Vikes should rightfully promote KJ to the #2 WR position and extend him.  I think Reagor and Nailor are good depth guys.  Drafting another WR is a good idea, but not with a high pick.  Get a good value guy in Rds 4, 5 or 6.  

DO NOT waste money on FA WRs right now --- that's a glass case to break if something horrific happens to JJ or KJ.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I did not know Reagor's deal included $13.27M guaranteed, but I guess that rookie deal is slotted slightly ahead of JJ.  I kinda think things will be flippin' soon.  I also don't know how accurate Sportrac is with #s, but if they're legit, Ryan Wright, with a whopping guaranteed salary of $20,000, is waaayyyyy underpaid! (total sidebar, ooops.   

That would be Reagor's 5th yr option...which won't be picked up, so it's not really relevant.  Because as you see, JJ's option would be $19M+, which will be picked up unless there's an extension.

And Wright's guaranteed salary was from last year (hence, you see the 2022 dead cap hit if he had been released).

2 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

I woke up this morning feeling somewhat, calm and actually very serene with the current Vikings WR corp.

We are fine here for 2023. They can always add, but it's not a code red event.

I still think with this offense, it is still a dire need. Do I think it has to be a round 1 pick, no, but I do see either a vet WR or even one drafted fairly early. 

https://twitter.com/BuffaloBills/status/1636759300952698880?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1636759300952698880|twgr^c3d1df577d628ef98360b0db5946325aca276c67|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbssports.com%2Fnfl%2Fnews%2F2023-nfl-free-agency-tracker-live-updates-every-signing-trade-rumor-on-day-3-of-new-league-year%2Flive%2F

Not saying he'd be our #2, but if we dont sign/draft anyone of that caliber and make KJ the #2 then i would like to grab this guy and see what he can do to help out. Has the speed and can be a weapon on jet sweeps and whatnot.

Edited by meixdaddy_10

On 3/13/2023 at 12:00 PM, SemperFeist said:

They need to find someone who can replace Thielen’s 89% snap count. If that’s Osborn, then they need to find someone to replace Osborn’s 75% snap count. 

Is that player on the current roster?

I think 3rd wr snap counts is going to drop quite a bit if the signing of josh Oliver is any indication. 

• Like 1