Manchester United Thread - Fred's a Red

UKTexans

Alexis is definitely a weirdo.. His Instagram is one of the weirder trips you can take. A loveable weirdo but defintely a weirdo. Even with the Chilean national team he was known to be a bit of a loner type. It doesn't mean he's going to produce on the field but it does present a different set of challenges/circumstances in terms of internal/dressing room management. Him and Wenger were never really natural fits and I think personality differences played a role in that, Mourinho may be a better fit in that regard.

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

• 2 weeks later...

as if they let you be a moderator @texans_uk  they must be desperate! :D

I've not looked at everyone's comments, but I imagine my thoughts on the season echo most peoples - progress from last year but still at least 4 quality signings off City.

Best hope of (meaningful) silverware for next couple of years is a muggy Mourinho Champions League.

12 hours ago, kempus said:

He just isn't that good.

Seriously, though, the drop off he's experienced since moving back to United is crazy.

I’ve always thought he was overrated. His talent is unquestionable. Has it all but he was elevated to a stature that exceeded what he actually was as a player. With that said he is a much better than what he has shown at United thus far. He’s was much better at Juve. Give him to Pep and he’d closer to living up to his potential 

Edited by Kip Smithers

Its unfair to say that he was better at Juve, because he is asked to do something completely different at United. Jose wants him to control the game and be the type of midfielder to build a whole team around, and that's just not his style. He is not Kroos/Modric/Xabi Alonso that dictate the tempo.

I just don't see Pogba as someone to build the midfield around, because he is not that type of player. He needs to be able to take risks and try the difficult things; he is a high risk, high reward type of player. He need to be in a midfield, like he was in Juve, surronded with other players who are calm and tempered to control the midfield, and Pogba can make plays. We don't have those players. Matic is mobile and solid defensively but unproven/untested in controlling the tempo and Carrick is very good at controlling the tempo but is quite immobile.

56 minutes ago, Eagles $5$ said:

Its unfair to say that he was better at Juve, because he is asked to do something completely different at United. Jose wants him to control the game and be the type of midfielder to build a whole team around, and that's just not his style. He is not Kroos/Modric/Xabi Alonso that dictate the tempo.

I just don't see Pogba as someone to build the midfield around, because he is not that type of player. He needs to be able to take risks and try the difficult things; he is a high risk, high reward type of player. He need to be in a midfield, like he was in Juve, surronded with other players who are calm and tempered to control the midfield, and Pogba can make plays. We don't have those players. Matic is mobile and solid defensively but unproven/untested in controlling the tempo and Carrick is very good at controlling the tempo but is quite immobile.

That’s the problem. I’m not saying his skills have regressed or he’s been exposed, im saying he was much more effective and impactful at Juve. He played better. And being able to best utilise him is critical. I don’t see how it makes what I said unfair. For France for the most part he is great. He’s simply would be more impactful and effective player if he wasn’t at United. That’s on the coach.