2020 Packers Draft... 'A 1,001 ways for fans to confess that they are still butt-hurt that the Packers drafted a QB instead of a WR'.

vegas492

On 3/5/2023 at 3:45 AM, mikemike778 said:

No.

Teams can spend generations looking for a QB.  If Love becomes a high-end QB lets say top 10 for multiple years then its worth it.  Not saying it becomes a A+ draft but if you find your QB in a draft then you win that draft.

I didn't like the pick at the time and agree that if you are taking a shot at a QB you want him playing before year four. But if he hits, the draft hits.

What a horrible take. We were a game away from the Superbowl. It's not like we didn't already have an all timer at QB. You don't search for your starter 5 years from now when you are on the cusp of a title. It's idiotic and has blown up in our face.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Some interesting banter on Runyan.  For the record?  I don't think he's good.  I also do not think he is bad.  He's someone that you should be able to replace so you don't have to pay real money for them.

But....it is telling to me that he starts and Newman was on the bench.  Newman, to me, has better high end rep tape, and obviously terrible low end rep tape.  Runyan is nothing if not consistent.

And for a 6'th round pick, it was a great, great pick.

Royce still will have a shot to prove he can build his game into one of an NFL lineman. Like you said, he will show some moves at his frame size and cause some problems. The problem with inconsistency means you will not get out there for long. A mental lapse can quickly kill a drive. Repeated breakdowns can kill your QB or scratch a whole game plan. I remember Allen Barbre had obvious talent but was a dreamer out there at RT. He would get caught out there badly a few times a game. We rightly moved on but he got his game together in Philly and was a solid starter on some good lines. These guys take time and it’s a credit to Runyan to have been this consistent so early in his career even if his ceiling isn’t as high as we all would like. 

54 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

What a horrible take. We were a game away from the Superbowl. It's not like we didn't already have an all timer at QB. You don't search for your starter 5 years from now when you are on the cusp of a title. It's idiotic and has blown up in our face.

We had no reason to make the NFC championship game that year and Rodgers looked like he was on the clear decline. In hindsight, a WR would've been better there. But unfortunately Gute is blessed with the gift of hindsight like some posters on this site.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

We had no reason to make the NFC championship game that year and Rodgers looked like he was on the clear decline. In hindsight, a WR would've been better there. But unfortunately Gute is blessed with the gift of hindsight like some posters on this site.

I hate sticking up for that poster, but I'm going to be fair here.  Without being so straight forward as his posts on the subject are, I'll say this.  He isn't very "wrong" in my book.  We were a game away.  And we drafted a QB when he had an all time great there.  That isn't hindsight...it's just the truth.

We know there are shades of grey around it.  Rodgers had been declining.  We were getting to the end of a contract.  We had a new coach.  We did have other needs.

And we took Love.  Just so turns out that Rodgers has a great 3 year run.  The team is outstanding.  Early in that run, Jordan look terrible.  Now he looks like he has a chance, but still he's also looked terrible.  And here we are.  We've pretty much wasted the rookie contract advantage.  Rodgers proved to us that we took a QB a year or two or three too early.  And maybe that happened, in part, because we took Love.  Who knows.

What I do know is this....our scouting department knows a lot more than I do.  And we know they scout years in advance.  So they must have really liked what Love brought to the table and figured that they wouldn't be in a position to draft a talent like that at QB for quite some time, so might as well draft it when you can.

Now we have to see if the organization was right about that talent.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Striker said:

I find it funny when these guys reply to you as if you're ever going to read their posts or care about what they have to say.

I mean, he is talking football.  We are disagreeing about how we view Jon Runyan, but I think we are having a pretty productive discussion.  Hitnhope said C, I said B, Vegas said A.  We have all laid out reasons, and none of us are really wrong, but can see the other's view.  What is the issue? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PackFan13 said:

What a horrible take. There's a better chance of a first round pick not making a significant meaningful impact in their first season than them actually making said impact. If you draft a future star at QB that sets you up for a decade plus of chances to be in the mix, then you win the draft. You're arguing for the sake of argument. And losing? With vigor?

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I mean, he is talking football.  We are disagreeing about how we view Jon Runyan, but I think we are having a pretty productive discussion.  Hitnhope said C, I said B, Vegas said A.  We have all laid out reasons, and none of us are really wrong, but can see the other's view.  What is the issue? 

I was specifically referring to those who try to insult/bait Norm as if that's ever worked since he has most of them blocked by now.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I hate sticking up for that poster, but I'm going to be fair here.  Without being so straight forward as his posts on the subject are, I'll say this.  He isn't very "wrong" in my book.  We were a game away.  And we drafted a QB when he had an all time great there.  That isn't hindsight...it's just the truth.

We know there are shades of grey around it.  Rodgers had been declining.  We were getting to the end of a contract.  We had a new coach.  We did have other needs.

And we took Love.  Just so turns out that Rodgers has a great 3 year run.  The team is outstanding.  Early in that run, Jordan look terrible.  Now he looks like he has a chance, but still he's also looked terrible.  And here we are.  We've pretty much wasted the rookie contract advantage.  Rodgers proved to us that we took a QB a year or two or three too early.  And maybe that happened, in part, because we took Love.  Who knows.

What I do know is this....our scouting department knows a lot more than I do.  And we know they scout years in advance.  So they must have really liked what Love brought to the table and figured that they wouldn't be in a position to draft a talent like that at QB for quite some time, so might as well draft it when you can.

Now we have to see if the organization was right about that talent.

Probably something to be said for this. Considering:

Round 1 QBs in 2021: Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Lance, Fields, Mac Jones

Round 1 QBs in 2022: Pickett

The last thing the Packers would want was for Rodgers performance to slip or for him to retire post '21 or '22 and having limited QB options. Especially if they had a guy they liked right there in '20.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vegas492 said:

And we drafted a QB when he had an all time great there.  That isn't hindsight...it's just the truth.

But that is how you manufacture some advantage. Was Love better than half the Qb's that have started since he was drafted, maybe not on paper. but institutional memory is very significant in predicting most outcomes in the social world. And the NFL has literally no examples of replicating/creating/explaining the degree to which coaches who have succeeded in the past (Mac) fail in the present (Dak). 

The only example I can relate it to (because of my knowledge base) is junior and senior members of the house of representatives. This happens all the time, even across partisan lines. Junior democrats and junior republicans often ride off of senior members in their state (regardless of affiliation), because understanding the institution and how to succeed within the confines of the institution is often more powerful knowledge than any outsider information. It in  my eyes is a central roadblock to ideas many liberals pose in terms of the benefits of minority representation in government, because knowledge of how to play makes other points of view, generally speaking, irrelevant. Point being, it makes complete sense that three years learning from Rodgers (both in the good and the bad) is more helpful than 10 years of being coached by the best coach imaginable.   

Only things I would change - 

Dillon - I'd bump up to B or B+, he arguably saves this draft.

Runyan - to B as well, don't think he's been that much better than Dillon but still solid. 

Martin - deserves at least a D or F, I only remember him being the talk of training camp and then Krys Barnes stole the show there after he got injured. 

Garvin - C he has been fine in spurts but I never really thought he contributed that much.

Edited by Gopackgonerd

The last thing the Packers would want was for Rodgers performance to slip or for him to retire post '21 or '22 and having limited QB options. Especially if they had a guy they liked right there in '20.

Dang.  I didn't know it was that bad until you posted it.  

19 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

How did we have no reason to make it? We got steam rolled by the best defense in the league with Adams as our only option. Everyone said the Packers need more weapons and it was touted as one of the best classes ever for wr. Literally no other GM would do this. It's malpractice. 

If you think 4k yards, 26 tds and 4 ints is a clear decline that needs to be replaced you are in for a shock next year. 

18 hours ago, Ham Sammich said:

What a horrible take. There's a better chance of a first round pick not making a significant meaningful impact in their first season than them actually making said impact. If you draft a future star at QB that sets you up for a decade plus of chances to be in the mix, then you win the draft. You're arguing for the sake of argument. And losing? With vigor?

This is as dumb as your username. 

Talk about hindsight. You don't look years down the line as you have no idea who's going to emerge from the college ranks. See Burrow, Joe. Love has also proven nothing, Mac Jones could very well be better than love ever is and odds are he never makes the pro bowl like Mac did ( not that he should have )

The job is to win the Superbowl and it's impossibly hard to get there. He absolutely botched that draft and slammed our window shut with his inability to draft/trade for impact players. It's historically bad when looking at all the context. He should be fired immediately if Love fails to shine next year. 

• Like 1

Interesting thought.  I was of the opinion that it was a good idea, but a couple of years too early to take the next QB.  I did that with zero thought on the actual crop of players in the subsequent years.  I do like Love over everyone but Lawrence that has been listed, and we had zero chance to land him anyway.  I don't know enough about the 23 class to make much of an opinion on them vs Love. 

I also question whether taking Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman put us over the top in either of the subsequent playoff losses.  In 2020, MVS had 115 yards and a TD, against Tampa.  That would tie Higgins' second best yardage mark that season, and Pittman has had 3 games in his career with more yards.  MVS was injured n 2021, but Rodgers had tunnel vision in that game and threw only to Jones and Adams.  I very much question if any WR changes the way that game plays out. It was a huge defensive struggle, and we lost because of a blocked punt. 

• Like 1