2020 Packers Draft... 'A 1,001 ways for fans to confess that they are still butt-hurt that the Packers drafted a QB instead of a WR'.

vegas492

10 hours ago, PackFan13 said:

I'm not saying you, there are 4 or so geriatrics with way too much time on their hands that will defend the draft that year and his drafting in general.

When you move up in the first for a QB and your baseless stance is he made Rodgers, an all time great QB, play like he had the majority of his career. It's literally braindead and bias thinking because they don't like Rodgers as a person.

That class of 1st rd wrs was mighty deep. Definitely would have been a better couple years if we went for one of them instead of Love. Time will tell if it works out in our favor down the stretch.

Probably could have gotten one of those tops wrs without pick 62 though, it is really more a knock on gute, love and deguara than ajd. 

Deguara did have a major injury that makes the pick a little harder to grade for me. 

Also i like our rb goodson out of iowa a lot more than patrick taylor so i do agree late round rbs can usually get it done. Too early to judge ajd value but i have a hard time calling that one a bad pick.

1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

Also i like our rb goodson out of iowa a lot more than patrick taylor 

Capture.jpg

Here's the thing though.  All of the first round WRs were off the board before we selected Love.  We would have had to select Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman, or I guess Laviska Shenault.  I honestly don't think these guys put us over the top in 20 or 21, but that is just my opinion.  

• Like 3

21 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What is the grade on Savage? Like C, C- maybe?

We traded up for Savage, and the grade shouldn't be fully complete...yet.  But right now?  Given the trade?  Highest end is a C-.  Probably more like a D or D- right now.   However...there is time for him to turn that around.  Just not a lot of it.

21 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

But what do you use to replace Taylor? Third round? Fifth round? UDFA?  

I say this knowing I am the lone Patrick Taylor proponent on this board.  

Well, I'm hopeful for that Goodson kid.  Also not opposed to drafting a lottery ticket no earlier than round 4.

18 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

Dillon makes jones a better version of himself. Not comparing the two of them.

Who would you rather have than ajd from 2020 rd 3?

Interesting, I've never looked.  I just thought, and still think, that paying elite RB money for Jones, while drafting Dillon in round two is a lot of capital spent on the RB position.  My issue isn't really Dillon so much as the total investment in the RB room.  I mean, here we are, years later and we are going to be paying A Jones until he is 33.  And we are on the last year of Dillon's deal, so if we want to keep him, it will cost real money...and we already have real money tied up in that position.  It's more like a mis-mangement of capital in the RB room in my book than it is a strike against Dillon, the player.

But I'll look....

The next 3 picks were Willie Gay Jr, Chinn and Logan Wilson.  I remember liking the athletic profile of all 3.  All three are very good players.

I remember liking Hamilton at DL from Penn State. 

I remember liking Madubuke on the DL in that draft.

The right choice was probably one of the first 3 or Highsmith...based on production and hindsight.  But I remember liking the 5 I listed.  I would have been very good with them at the time, regardless of the production or hindsight.  Highsmith is based totally, 100% on hindsight given his production.  I didn't have a clue about him in the draft. 

• Like 1

Those seem like fair evaluations of the individual players.  I tend to look back at that draft with a wider lens, and three things stick out:

1. The Jordan Love pick.  Obvious, I know.  And you're right...still incomplete here.  I'm hopeful this works out in the long run.

2. I felt like we drafted guys to remake this team in LaFleur's image.  Big RB, an H-back, and 3 OL.  I get the idea, but the players largely have not panned out.

3. In a year with a historically good WR class, and a definite need for WR, we drafted none.  Makes #2 even harder to accept.

• Like 3

Weird that the people with the most posts on the site don't come into this thread. Gute is bad at drafting, horrific at trading his precious picks for proven players and absolutely botched our current situation and slammed our window shut.

The guy was given a job he's incapable of doing yet has the longest leash in the NFL because we don't have an owner. He would be gone at this point with 99% of the other teams. The more the years go on the worse his drafts look.

Watching the chiefs win with Creed dominating the line while Myers is bottom half of the league was the last straw. Guy can't even get it right when he has his pick of the litter. Let's hope we trade Rodgers and we get a reboot after next year.

Edited by PackFan13
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

Weird that the people with the most posts on the site don't come into this thread. Gute is bad at drafting, horrific at trading his precious picks for proven players and absolutely botched our current situation and slammed our window shut.

The guy was given a job he's incapable of doing yet has the longest leash in the NFL because we don't have an owner. He would be gone at this point with 99% of the other teams. The more the years go on the worse his drafts look.

Watching the chiefs win with Creed dominating the line while Myers is bottom half of the league was the last straw. Guy can't even get it right when he has his pick of the litter. Let's hope we trade Rodgers and we get a reboot after next year.

Lots to unpack here, but go with me on this....

"Weird that the people with the most posts on the site don't come into this thread" -- Probably because the OP of the thread is an idiot with a history of making intentionally misleading threads.

"Gute is bad at drafting, horrific at trading his precious picks for proven players and absolutely botched our current situation and slammed our window shut."  You know I've argued against this statement many times.  After reviewing this draft class, and looking quickly at a few others, I feel like I can defend his round one selections pretty good.  At least league average, though I feel like he's above league average in round one.  But, that's about all I can really defend at this point and time.  Without doing the total research, I'm tending to lean with you here concerning Gute and draft selections outside of round one.  I'm not totally there yet, but I can see how you are.

"The more the years go on the worse his drafts look."   Is it because the past drafts are that god-awful or because our recent draft actually looks really good after year one?  Because I too see some of what you are seeing.  And I feel like I enjoy a lot of his draft classes in year one...but as time goes on, they start to look worse.

"Watching the chiefs win with Creed dominating the line while Myers is bottom half of the league was the last straw. Guy can't even get it right when he has his pick of the litter."   Can't argue against this at all.  We needed a center.  And he was the best center.  Maybe his style didn't fit what we really wanted, but the point stands and that pick looks worse and worse every year.  And for the record?  I still feel like Myers can be a very good o-lineman in the league.  I'm just not sure if it will be at center.  To me, he has one more season to prove he can play there at a higher level, or he needs to look at another position while we draft another center.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

-- Probably because the OP of the thread is an idiot with a history of making intentionally misleading threads.

Like Woody Harrelson throwing on all the lights and rides at the amusement park in Zombieland, you have summoned all the nitwits to this thread.  

• Like 2

On 2/27/2023 at 4:11 PM, vegas492 said:

Assuming that Love Stinks, or is traded away.....how far back do we have to go to find another Packer draft this poor?

2015 was really bad.  Randall, Rollins, Montgomery, Ryan, Hundley, Ripkowski, Ringo, Backman.

2004.  Carroll, Thomas, Washington, Sander, Williams, Wells.

2011 - Sherrod, Cobb, Green, House, Williams, Schlauderaff, Smith, Elmore, Taylor, Guy

2 minutes ago, Striker said:

2011 - Sherrod, Cobb, Green, House, Williams, Schlauderaff, Smith, Elmore, Taylor, Guy

The weird thing about that class is Guy.  He's been a good football player for a long time in the league.  Just not with us.

19 hours ago, vegas492 said:

"Weird that the people with the most posts on the site don't come into this thread" -- Probably because the OP of the thread is an idiot with a history of making intentionally misleading threads.

"Gute is bad at drafting, horrific at trading his precious picks for proven players and absolutely botched our current situation and slammed our window shut."  You know I've argued against this statement many times.  After reviewing this draft class, and looking quickly at a few others, I feel like I can defend his round one selections pretty good.  At least league average, though I feel like he's above league average in round one.  But, that's about all I can really defend at this point and time.  Without doing the total research, I'm tending to lean with you here concerning Gute and draft selections outside of round one.  I'm not totally there yet, but I can see how you are.

"The more the years go on the worse his drafts look."   Is it because the past drafts are that god-awful or because our recent draft actually looks really good after year one?  Because I too see some of what you are seeing.  And I feel like I enjoy a lot of his draft classes in year one...but as time goes on, they start to look worse.

"Watching the chiefs win with Creed dominating the line while Myers is bottom half of the league was the last straw. Guy can't even get it right when he has his pick of the litter."   Can't argue against this at all.  We needed a center.  And he was the best center.  Maybe his style didn't fit what we really wanted, but the point stands and that pick looks worse and worse every year.  And for the record?  I still feel like Myers can be a very good o-lineman in the league.  I'm just not sure if it will be at center.  To me, he has one more season to prove he can play there at a higher level, or he needs to look at another position while we draft another center.

I, thankfully, cannot see a large number of the replies to this thread because for the sake of my own inherent 'someone is wrong on the internet' intincts, I've pulled a @Norm and ignored most of the clowns replying to you because it's just not worth rehashing the same tired points with them (and I'm sure they're going off). 

His 2018 and 2020 drafts were easily his roughest. However 2020, much like TT's 2005 draft (look back at the 2005 selections and think of the grade if Rodgers had busted), could rocket up there if Love delivers. His 2019 draft was his best and, at least based on way too early returns, his 2022 draft could match that. iirc, he is league average at worst for overall rate. Of course, league average for the floor alone won't get you there but a lot of GMs in this league have survived doing exactly that.

Speaking of - from my older posts where I listed the draft history for TB, KC, and PHI, you can see that GMs (at least for TB and KC) tend to be real streaky with their picks. Both Licht and Veach had rough starts but then went on huge runs with their draft picks in their most successful seasons. If the 2023 draft is more like '19 or '22, then the Packers should be in pretty good shape this year.

The biggest mistake Gute has made has been the Rodgers contract. It really leaves no margin of error with last year's draft or this year's draft. Especially if they bring Rodgers back.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

The weird thing about that class is Guy.  He's been a good football player for a long time in the league.  Just not with us.

I looked back at the roster, https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2011_roster.htm and it wasn't super good.  I think we were trying to sneak him on the PS.  Looking at the other DL, I guess I can see the idea why.  But we did miss out on a good player, and not get a super great return for Jarius Wynn or CJ Wilson.  Around the same time, didn't we sign Danny Muir as a UDFA too? He had a decent career. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Striker said:

I, thankfully, cannot see a large number of the replies to this thread because for the sake of my own inherent 'someone is wrong on the internet' intincts, I've pulled a @Norm and ignored most of the clowns replying to you because it's just not worth rehashing the same tired points with them (and I'm sure they're going off). 

His 2018 and 2020 drafts were easily his roughest. However 2020, much like TT's 2005 draft (look back at the 2005 selections and think of the grade if Rodgers had busted), could rocket up there if Love delivers. His 2019 draft was his best and, at least based on way too early returns, his 2022 draft could match that. iirc, he is league average at worst for overall rate. Of course, league average for the floor alone won't get you there but a lot of GMs in this league have survived doing exactly that.

Speaking of - from my older posts where I listed the draft history for TB, KC, and PHI, you can see that GMs (at least for TB and KC) tend to be real streaky with their picks. Both Licht and Veach had rough starts but then went on huge runs with their draft picks in their most successful seasons. If the 2023 draft is more like '19 or '22, then the Packers should be in pretty good shape this year.

The biggest mistake Gute has made has been the Rodgers contract. It really leaves no margin of error with last year's draft or this year's draft. Especially if they bring Rodgers back.

I feel similar about Gute and drafting.  I think he's better than average in the first round...and maybe a lot better than average.  But after that, his picks are not panning out too much.  

Then again...when you already have a franchise QB, elite RB, elite WR and an elite LT....there isn't a whole lot to draft.  And we had a great DL at the time, and maybe Clark still is...and he did draft a franchise CB.  Again, that's a lot of premium positions that were filled.  

Stokes could be the next big thing at CB.  We had P and Z...Gary was developed nicely.  Another hit, but it took time.

What we really needed from Gute was another WR.  That's my complaint, he didn't do enough at that position.

Can't argue against him in free agency.  Or the bargain bin shopping in free agency or mid season.  

Can argue against him for draft picks outside of round one (mostly).  Can argue against him concerning the Rodgers deal.

4 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I looked back at the roster, https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2011_roster.htm and it wasn't super good.  I think we were trying to sneak him on the PS.  Looking at the other DL, I guess I can see the idea why.  But we did miss out on a good player, and not get a super great return for Jarius Wynn or CJ Wilson.  Around the same time, didn't we sign Danny Muir as a UDFA too? He had a decent career. 

Muir played in a few games but never really amounted to too much. He did exist in the league for 6 seasons but Guy has been a lot more impactful.