2023 Scouting Combine Thread

Ty21

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

With Rap reporting that most teams think Young is the #1 pick even before he measures in how great would it be if he comes in at 5-11" 205lbs? Personally I think he will be 5-10'1/4" and maybe around 198lbs but if he could be slightly bigger it would do nothing but drive that stock up.

Hoping the trainer he hired bulked him up to at least 6’2”

Interesting when re-stacking my boards...I have 13 EDGE players with a top 2 round grades...9 I think really fit what we want to do...I only have a firm top 2 round grade on 4 DTs & I am not sold on 1 of those guys...that could play into how far we want to move down in the draft unless we can get someone we feel comfortable playing both inside or out (Dre'mont Jones or Zach Allen).

52 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Interesting when re-stacking my boards...I have 13 EDGE players with a top 2 round grades...9 I think really fit what we want to do...I only have a firm top 2 round grade on 4 DTs & I am not sold on 1 of those guys...that could play into how far we want to move down in the draft unless we can get someone we feel comfortable playing both inside or out (Dre'mont Jones or Zach Allen).

I think you are on to something.  So far, the edge players and CBs are strong.   Trading the 1stOverall for Simmons or Payne makes so much sense.

I hope we draft the 3-technique DT Kancey (Donald) or Adebawore (Harris) and a DE... the 1st 2 round.

Edited by JibjeResearch

58 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

It's SUCH a deep class at EDGE, it's why I want us to trade down and draft Carter (if we like him/the background checks out after the dust settles).

Wouldn't surprise me to see two DEs taken.

9 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I still dont understand this. This is the most grasping for straws argument whenever it comes up

Not everyone needs to LOVE football. As long as its not a "im just doing this for money, and Im going to quit when I get it" Albert Haynsworth level. Having other interests is a good thing. Its such a 1985 way of thinking

I agree with you. But Flus said this week (and has said repeatedly over the past year) that he wants guys that love football.

He’s talking about FA here but there’s no way he doesn’t feel the same way about draft prospects. What does it mean to show you love football on tape? Who the F knows. I assume maybe he’s talking about effort and HITS principle type stuff but that’s just my assumption. But whatever that is for him, it’s important to him, and that makes it relevant whether or not you or I think it should. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G08 said:

It's SUCH a deep class at EDGE, it's why I want us to trade down and draft Carter (if we like him/the background checks out after the dust settles).

I’ve been of the mindset much of the time that we’re gonna take 2 DE in the first 4 rounds, and maybe earlier. The FA market is thin there and the draft is deep. It seems common sense to me. Depending on the board at the time and FA ahead of the draft I don’t think it’s out of the question at all that our first two picks are DEs, especially if we land Dre’Mont Jones or Hargrave in FA. 

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

With Rap reporting that most teams think Young is the #1 pick even before he measures in how great would it be if he comes in at 5-11" 205lbs? Personally I think he will be 5-10'1/4" and maybe around 198lbs but if he could be slightly bigger it would do nothing but drive that stock up.

So much gets made out of this stuff that’s just ridiculous. Does it really matter whether Bryce Young is 196 lbs or 193 lbs? Or if he’s 6’0” or 5’11”? Of course not. At least the weight has a tangible durability aspect to it. The height one is just so asinine. Look at the size of the OL he played behind at Alabama: the shortest OL starter they had the past 2 years was 6’3”, and several have been 6’5” or taller. Hasn’t impacted Young’s ability to be successful, has it? So why would that change now? 

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

So much gets made out of this stuff that’s just ridiculous. Does it really matter whether Bryce Young is 196 lbs or 193 lbs? Or if he’s 6’0” or 5’11”? Of course not. At least the weight has a tangible durability aspect to it. The height one is just so asinine. Look at the size of the OL he played behind at Alabama: the shortest OL starter they had the past 2 years was 6’3”, and several have been 6’5” or taller. Hasn’t impacted Young’s ability to be successful, has it? So why would that change now? 

Personally I agree that Young's height shouldn't impact much...I do think his mass does however simply due to the punishment he will take in the pros and as much as the SEC is physical nothing compares to the pros...there are some positions where I totally believe size/length matters but QB isn't really on of them...that said it is clear pro evaluators think this stuff matters so the bigger the better.

7 hours ago, G08 said:

It's not even that it's a deep class...it's that it's a deep class in every round and with players who fit the mold that we are going to be looking for on the edges...I think H/W/L is going to be really important on the DL and I have "Bear Grades" on...

5 potential 1st rounders

4 potential 2nd rounders

4 potential 4th rounders

1 potential 5th rounder

2 potential 6th rounders

16 guys that could fit our scheme...29 edge players I have as draftable and that is before we even get to the pro days and the measurable of a few guys have me going back and watching them play so that could end up about 33-35 draftable EDGES...that is pretty crazy. 

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I agree with you. But Flus said this week (and has said repeatedly over the past year) that he wants guys that love football

Yes you need those type of guys in the defense, especially when you are going to pay them, but you also need talent more than anything.

You can fill in around youre talent with “Love the Game” guys, but remember as much as Poles is building for Flus’ team/defense, he is also building up the most talent on the roster. Who knows what could happen with Flus, if he is not getting better in 3 years, he could absolutely be upgraded, and if you are talent deficient because you passed over it for “his guys” it’s going to be a tough sell to keep your job if you’re Poles. But if you gave him everything talent wise, and it’s clear the strategy just isn’t working anymore (cycles happen in the NFL all the time) Poles has done his job and is more likely to be retained for the next go around. 

Again, you don’t go after the Albert Haynesworth types (just the easy comp) but not every player on your roster is going to be Johnny Hustle mentality either.  More talent, comes with more personality/diva/whatever you want to call it. 

Sure, if they grade out the same, take the guy who has more of a love for the game. But right now, I still think Carter is on another talent level than anyone else in this draft.

• Like 1