2023 Scouting Combine Thread

Ty21

The more we talk about Carter, the more I wonder if HE fits with what Flus wants. The talent and potential are obvious, but what about the other stuff he and Poles keep talking about?

-Does he love football?

-Does he fit with the effort level of HITS?

Putting one’s self in his current legal predicament will make you question Carter’s commitment. His snap count will make you question both. I’m not saying either is a disqualifier at all, but they’re questions that are legitimate. Now compare that with Will Anderson, who from all accounts (analysts, coaches and even his teammates at the combine) is obsessed with being great at football and sets a “follow me” tone whenever he’s on the field. I’ve never seen anything about Anderson the person getting in any kind of trouble, and when basically everyone is opting out of everything to preserve draft status, he’s playing in a non-championship bowl game and doing the combine drills. 

We’re not talking about a mid round pick here. We’re talking about a top 5 pick. The stakes are huge. Forget the positional stuff and set aside the questions about size (that fans and analysts express but may not even be an issue for Flus/Poles) on Anderson for a minute - both would fill huge needs and both have generational level potential on the field (both have All Pro player comps). If you’re the guy whose *** is on the line for this pick, which guy is the one you’d want to bet on? To me that answer is pretty obvious. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The more we talk about Carter, the more I wonder if HE fits with what Flus wants. The talent and potential are obvious, but what about the other stuff he and Poles keep talking about?

-Does he love football?

Putting one’s self in his current legal predicament will make you question Carter’s commitment. His snap count will make you question both. I’m not saying either is a disqualifier at all, but they’re questions that are legitimate. Now compare that with Will Anderson, who from all accounts (analysts, coaches and even his teammates at the combine) is obsessed with being great at football and sets a “follow me” tone whenever he’s on the field. I’ve never seen anything about Anderson the person getting in any kind of trouble, and when basically everyone is opting out of everything to preserve draft status, he’s playing in a non-championship bowl game and doing the combine drills. 

We’re not talking about a mid round pick here. We’re talking about a top 5 pick. The stakes are huge. Forget the positional stuff and set aside the questions about size (that fans and analysts express but may not even be an issue for Flus/Poles) on Anderson for a minute - both would fill huge needs and both have generational level potential on the field (both have All Pro player comps). If you’re the guy whose *** is on the line for this pick, which guy is the one you’d want to bet on? To me that answer is pretty obvious. 

Agreed it's no question for me that Anderson is the guy I'd rather bet on 💯

10 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

-Does he love football?

You guys are going to regret saying alot of these things when the first 4 picks are QBs , Seattle is gifted Will Anderson, and Jalen Carter is terrorizing us in a Lions uniform for the next Decade

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

You guys are going to regret saying alot of these things when the first 4 picks are QBs , Seattle is gifted Will Anderson, and Jalen Carter is terrorizing us in a Lions uniform for the next Decade

To be clear I never said I would not take Carter if we traded down and he was the BPA on the board, but if given the choice between Anderson or Carter, based on what we know, I'm taking Anderson all day everyday 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

To be clear I never said I would not take Carter if we traded down and he was the BPA on the board, but if given the choice between Anderson or Carter, based on what we know, I'm taking Anderson all day everyday 

I am fully entrenched in this camp as well as of right now.

20 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

And I disagree. This stuff from the other day (which is nearly all conjecture at this point) makes no impact on what I think of him as a prospect. He has had the "immature" tag on him this entire time, that didnt pop up out of nowhere. Thats been there and its part of dealing with Elite talent

And yes, I see carter as ELITE talent, I dont see Anderson that way, I see him a rung below, but he is safe. He measured and tested just fine, and he is almost always doing the right thing on tape, but I dont think Ive ever seen a snap that makes me say "wow" like Carter often does. 

Its 15 years later and Im having flashbacks to the Chris Long/Glenn Dorsey discussions from back in St. Louis

Edited by StLunatic88

6 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Its 15 years later and Im having flashbacks to the Chris Long/Glenn Dorsey discussions from back in St. Louis

well we weren't a part of those, we were arguing over who to take between ryan clady, chris williams, brandon albert, or gosder cherilus (the correct answer was duane brown, for the record)

who is who in the long/dorsey v carter/anderson debate?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

who is who in the long/dorsey v carter/anderson debate?

Its not apples to apples, but Chris Long is Jalen Carter while Glenn Dorsey is Will Anderson

Anderson and Dorsey have all the colligate production/tape while Long and Carter are more projecting into our system with some elite traits (Long's 10 yard split was amazing If I remember correctly)

People didnt want to take the shot on Long, because it was only one year, it was at Virginia and he boosted himself at the Combine, while Dorsey had all the college accolades and could be the reliable/cant miss presence on the defense. 

29 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Disappointing for LVN…Wilson right where I expected with that length…

Really strong number for Harrison & Murphy…great showing by White.

Adebawore has done so much for himself