2023 Scouting Combine Thread

Ty21

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Ok forget that if you want but you're telling me you're not at all concerned with Carter's usage on that Georgia DL and him being subbed out a lot during games..and his subsequent lack of production in the stat column? 

For a players with his supposed talent and skill wouldn't you have expect a little better all things considered?

If not then I would love to hear your reasoning 

The substitution pattern narrative is a big fat nothing to me. Its Georgia, they have 5 stars sitting on the bench, they are going to rotate in constantly to keep everyone fresh. They did it in 2021, and even then when Carter wasnt the main DT, everyone knew he was the most talented already. He wasnt begging to be taken off its their sub pattern

Hes also a guy who was Constantly doubled and plays were designed to keep him away from the action, and through all of that he was still a force. 

He is a DT at the end of the day, in a game designed to play horizontally (college football) its the hardest spot to show up on the stat sheet, The fact that youre evev looking at the stat sheet tells me you are looking in the wrong place. You have to look at alot of other things, not just because of the position, but college stats can be VERY misleading both ways. Things we need to look at; how much attention he draws, disruptions despite of that, closing pockets so his Defense can make a play. And he does all of those thing better than any other DT I have seen in a little while.

He plays with his pad level too high at times this year, I dont know if thats due to playing off that injury or if he was getting anxious to go make plays, but when that happens and he gets doubled (alot of the time) he can lose that rep, and he does sometimes give up on a rep when he is beat. It seems to be a preservation thing, more than an attitude thing, as he often comes right back and dominates the next snap. That is stuff you can clean up with coaching and becoming a veteran. Especially as he would be doubled less, and learns the veteran tricks.

4 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

You guys are going to regret saying alot of these things when the first 4 picks are QBs , Seattle is gifted Will Anderson, and Jalen Carter is terrorizing us in a Lions uniform for the next Decade

Regret what, saying that there are more questions about Carter’s commitment to football and to his on field consistency than there are Anderson’s? Is that a debate? I didn’t even say that any of the Carter questions or legal stuff should move the needle. I just said that those questions are there, which I think is pretty undeniable.

For the record, neither what is known right now about Carter legally or potential work ethic/conditioning issues would stop me from drafting him 4th, or even 2nd. But, he’s still 2 to Anderson’s 1 for me just as he has been all along. I’m just saying it’s going to be part of the conversation. I completely agree in thinking Carter is going to be awesome - I’m just higher on Anderson than you are.

I also reeeeeeally hope neither ends up in Detroit. 

37 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Regret what, saying that there are more questions about Carter’s commitment to football and to his on field consistency than there are Anderson’s? Is that a debate? I didn’t even say that any of the Carter questions or legal stuff should move the needle. I just said that those questions are there, which I think is pretty undeniable.

I still dont understand this. This is the most grasping for straws argument whenever it comes up

Not everyone needs to LOVE football. As long as its not a "im just doing this for money, and Im going to quit when I get it" Albert Haynsworth level. Having other interests is a good thing. Its such a 1985 way of thinking

Stroud & JSN putting themselves out there like this at the combine is something I really haven’t heard much over the years from prospects…shows the respect former teammates have for him…I have no doubt his current one’s feel the same.