2023 Scouting Combine Thread

Ty21

5 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

From everything I am reading this has been a great day for us...Richardson looked like the freakiest of all freaky athletes & Levis' arm was live and stood out from every other QB...Young hit a number of benchmarks which now take away the "no one has ever been build like him" well he is basically the exact same size as another former #1 pick...easier sell to any owner with concerns...

I also love that some of the WRs at the top of the draft didn't test as well as expected as it drops them into range for a trade back up to the end of the 1st-top of the 2nd to grab one...might even muddy the waters so much that a few of them fall later than expected.

And now Stroud looks great too...

Maybe the double trade is on.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

And now Stroud looks great too...

Maybe the double trade is on.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a triple trade down to be honest which may help Arizona trade down with Vegas, Carolina, or even Tennessee. I have a feeling the top 3 picks will be QB's and someone will get desperate for either Levis or Richardson

I left midway through the second WRs 40 yd dash, pretty fun day. Levis did display his arm strength and hit a lot of good throws, but I think the commercial breaks may have concealed a few "what the heck was that?" kind of passes on a few of the short drills and surprisingly wasn't as impressive as Stetson Bennett on the deep go drill. Definitely had the most impressive arm of the first group though. 

JSN is going to go before 20, but man I wish Seattle thought Geno Smith sucks like most people do. Getting 5 and 20, taking either Carter or Wilson at 5 and then potentially JSN at 20 would be awesome. He is so underrated. We would be debating him at 4 in our trade down scenarios if he was healthy in 2022

JSN raised his stock on my board with the elite 3 cone time.

but Darnell Washington is probably my favorite player of the entire draft right now.

If we traded down with  Houston for 2, 12, 32    I wouldn't even be mad taking Washington at 12. His blocking ability makes him instantly useful for our heavy running scheme while also giving us more options for the quicker underneath passing game to help Fields out. I'm getting to the point where I actually want him on our team more than even like Tyree Wilson or one of the OL

Best plan to fix the O right now:

Trade to 2, then trade down from 2.

Get Washington AND JSN..... Weapons status: loaded..... focus on OL/DL with the rest of the picks

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

Just finished stacking my board on the defensive side with those guys being finished up and it has really clarified for me where I would be looking at the clouds of players...

EDGE - Rounds 1-7 - talent everywhere in this draft...grab one early...probably one in the mid rounds then one late depending on resources...it's that talented a class...30 guys so far with draftable grades...17 I believe are true fits for us.

DT - Rounds 1-3 - Got to grab these guys early as the talent quickly falls off after the first 3 rounds - Only 13 guys I like right now...8 I believe are true fits in that range.

Off Ball LB - Rounds 3-6 - No 1st round talents at off ball LB IMO...a few good ones in round 2 but too high for us with the talent at other positions...round 3 & 4 is the sweet spot for starting calibre guys...development guys after that...21 draftable guys - 6 guys I believe are true fits in that range.

CB - Rounds 3-6 - Tons of talent at CB...first round could see as many as 6 could go in round one...11 more right behind...with the investment last year we can wait to draft a DB...28 draftable guys - 6 guys I really like in that range who are true fits.

S - Rounds 4-6 - Again the investment from last year makes it easy to sit and wait on a Safety...not as much talent as there is at CB but a few guys will go pretty highly...21 draftable guys...5 I like in that range.

Defensively this really is a build front to back draft which is exactly what we need.

13 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Just finished stacking my board on the defensive side with those guys being finished up and it has really clarified for me where I would be looking at the clouds of players...

EDGE - Rounds 1-7 - talent everywhere in this draft...grab one early...probably one in the mid rounds then one late depending on resources...it's that talented a class...30 guys so far with draftable grades...17 I believe are true fits for us.

DT - Rounds 1-3 - Got to grab these guys early as the talent quickly falls off after the first 3 rounds - Only 13 guys I like right now...8 I believe are true fits in that range.

Off Ball LB - Rounds 3-6 - No 1st round talents at off ball LB IMO...a few good ones in round 2 but too high for us with the talent at other positions...round 3 & 4 is the sweet spot for starting calibre guys...development guys after that...21 draftable guys - 6 guys I believe are true fits in that range.

CB - Rounds 3-6 - Tons of talent at CB...first round could see as many as 6 could go in round one...11 more right behind...with the investment last year we can wait to draft a DB...28 draftable guys - 6 guys I really like in that range who are true fits.

S - Rounds 4-6 - Again the investment from last year makes it easy to sit and wait on a Safety...not as much talent as there is at CB but a few guys will go pretty highly...21 draftable guys...5 I like in that range.

Defensively this really is a build front to back draft which is exactly what we need.

I really like Cam Jones in the 5th or 6th. He was hurt his final year at Indiana but he plays fast and is a good blitzer. At worst he can be a decent ST player

Also it's funny you break it down this way. I just updated my mock and I have them taking a CB in round 5 and a S in round 5 & an off ball LB in round 5 (trade)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I really like Cam Jones in the 5th or 6th. He was hurt his final year at Indiana but he plays fast and is a good blitzer. At worst he can be a decent ST player

Also it's funny you break it down this way. I just updated my mock and I have them taking a CB in round 5 and a S in round 5 & an off ball LB in round 5 (trade)

Yeah Jones is one of the guys I like in that 5th round range as well...much like you I suspect I won't look at CB/S until the 5th...LB maybe a little earlier but only for I guy I believe can property play WILL...after FA that might not even be a need.

Another thought I had was that we might not have nearly as much trade leverage as we thought after today.....

Stroud by all accounts impressed heavily, and Young reportedly did well all weekend...... Does Houston really feel the need to trade up from #2 instead of just taking whichever QB remains at #2?

We might not get that good a a "haul" for trading down to pick #2, if they even trade out of it, and I don't see us being able to "double trade down" without getting pick #2...... If we traded with Indy for #4, for example, Arizona is already shopping pick #3, so we don't have any leverage there.

The "home run" play of this draft is getting Houston all in on ONE GUY, trading up for it, then us immediately selling #2 to Indy, Carolina, Tennessee.....

Edited by Epyon

So from reading different threads on this site I’ve learned that:

- Stroud impressed in every way possible

- Levis was…ehh

- Richardson impressed as a physical specimen…but not necessarily as a throwing QB

- Young did not participate in drills

From my interpretation (and please, correct me if I’m wrong), that would essentially solidify Stroud and Young as the top 2 QBs taken (no particular order).  Richardson as 3rd QB taken, and Levis….who TF knows.

I believe this hurts our leverage with the Texans, but helps out leverage with the Colts and every other QB-needy team.  Houston is in a spot where they can guarantee either Stroud or Young (if they’re aiming for a QB at 1.2). However, a drop below 4 seems much more likely.  Not the worst thing, but a Carter/Anderson draft may not be happening.

I have no patience for this draft to come.  The fact the free agency is less than two weeks away doesn’t even register with me for some reason.  I was more patient for my first born’s birth than this years offseason lol.

• Like 1