Cowboys Free Agent News

textaz03

6 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I wonder if they would have given him a 1st round tender if not for the injury. We’re probably safe now, but I bet a team might’ve stolen him for a second if he were healthy.

With Tyler Smith at LT and Tyron Smith still currently on the roster I would gladly let him go for a 2023 2nd. Get a guy like Steve Avila, Dawand Jones, or John Michael Schmitz. Steele will be 26 next season. Or use the extra 2nd to get a guy that isn’t exactly pick 26 worthy but probably won’t be there at our original 2nd rounder like Siaki Ika, Jahmyr Gibbs, or Mazi Smith. 

Or use the extra 2nd to pair with pick 26 and move up in the first round while retaining our original 2nd round pick. That would put us in range for guys like JSN, Skoronski or Paris Johnson jr. 

I would love a first 3 rounds of:

Round1: Ocyrus Torrence/Best CB available/Bijon

Round2: Siaki Ika/SteveAvila/Mazi Smith/Darnell Washington

Round2: Josh Downs/Jamar Gibbs/Best TE available 

Round3: Devon Achane/Tank Dell/Tank Bigsby

But its draft season so I may be biased 

Edited by DaBoys

36 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

With Tyler Smith at LT and Tyron Smith still currently on the roster I would gladly let him go for a 2023 2nd. Get a guy like Steve Avila, Dawand Jones, or John Michael Schmitz. Steele will be 26 next season. Or use the extra 2nd to get a guy that isn’t exactly pick 26 worthy but probably won’t be there at our original 2nd rounder like Siaki Ika, Jahmyr Gibbs, or Mazi Smith. 

Or use the extra 2nd to pair with pick 26 and move up in the first round while retaining our original 2nd round pick. That would put us in range for guys like JSN, Skoronski or Paris Johnson jr. 

Bust its draft season so I may be biased 

Yeah, I agree, but I don’t think anyone is going to do it now given the ACL injury. I think it would’ve been a possibility, though, otherwise.

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Yeah, I agree, but I don’t think anyone is going to do it now given the ACL injury. I think it would’ve been a possibility, though, otherwise.

It will be interesting if someone who is hiring for OLine depth or even starters looks at him and offers a 3 year deal. 

11 hours ago, DaBoys said:

But its draft season so I may be biased 

Looks good to me

I love TP, but I think franchising him is a bad move.  Why does JJ insist on overpaying his players?  I think you could still sign him to a much lower contract by letting it play out. Hr's coming off of an injury and there are other RB's out there.  

4 minutes ago, chumpy said:

I love TP, but I think franchising him is a bad move.  Why does JJ insist on overpaying his players?  I think you could still sign him to a much lower contract by letting it play out. Hr's coming off of an injury and there are other RB's out there.  

I believe they should’ve  placed the non exclusive tag on him or just let him go. Franchise tag for an injured, specialty RB is bonkers. 

• Like 1

As long as Tony Pollard is ready for week 1, returns to exactly the RB he was last season, is the legitimate starter and not hampered by Zeke, and can handle a full workload for a full season durability wise then this is a good move. 

Only Aaron Jones and Kalil Herbert had a better YPC then Tony Pollard last season. He probably would have led the league in rushing without Zeke. 

Bored so thought I’d post some cap stuff and my takes (all figures via OTC)

Current estimated cap space as of Pollard + Steele tags: -$19.6M (pretend this is in red)

Most notable/likely means of achieving more space-

Restructures:

Dak: $49.13M => $25.262M

Lawrence: $26.0M => $14.932M

Martin: $19.89M => $10.022M

Max total savings: $44.804M

This assumes Dallas opts to restructure all three of these players down to the 7+ year veteran minimum of $1.165M with void years into ‘27. They may not do exactly that, but expect all 3 of these deals to be revised in such a way that saves this side or that of $40M.

Pre-June 1 cut/trades:

Tyron: $9.6M savings

Lewis: $4.7M savings

Total savings: $14.3M

Tyron, like Zeke, may be amenable to a paycut, but cannot return at his current slated figure. I suppose there’s a chance Lewis sticks as veteran depth/leadership, but when we have a better, healthier player in Bland making $900K to man the slot, I view him as superfluous.

Post-June 1 cuts/trades

Zeke: $10.9M savings

It’s a given that something will happen with Zeke, but the timeline is murkier here since we wouldn’t immediately receive the cap relief with a post-June 1 cut- he and Pollard would still cost a combined $27M for several months. Hence the likelihood of a paycut, which grants the team instant savings. Can’t say for sure what that’ll look like, but I would say Zeke is worth about $2M, $3M tops on the open market- so expect our dumb team to double that. $5-6M range, and about the same in savings.

Dallas could make the first five moves by next week, without needing to negotiate a Dak extension, Tyron trade or Zeke paycut, putting us at $39.48M in 2023 cap room per OTC. Obviously this is enough to do some things, more than enough for our FO’s typical SOP, which I’m hoping they deviate from a bit. These moves allow us to slow play the Zeke situation (Tyron as well, $30M is plenty for this franchise). I do think a Dak restructure/extension is unavoidable at this point, my main takeaway from all this.

Two more potential moves (that I see as unnecessary/inadvisable)

Restructure Gallup: $8-to-$8.5M savings (with/without ‘27 void year)

Release Gallimore: $2.7M savings

Restructuring Gallup is probably a bad idea coming off the kind of year he had- would be ideal to retain the ability to move on in ‘24. But he is a younger player on a LTD, so it’s at least worth noting.

With Gallimore, the fact that a report just came out stating his spot is “safe” is discouraging. $2.7M doesn’t sound like much, but that’s gotta be all it takes to keep Hankins, and twice what we’ll pay to keep Watkins- both of whom outplayed him last year. My guess is he gets let go around final cuts when that $2.7M means more.

• Like 1