Saints Sign Derek Carr (4 Years 150m)

goldfishwars

He just came off an average year with a better receiving core, so I’m not sure how high my expectations go.

That said, average QB play should be more than enough to get the Saints into the playoffs. They’re probably locked in for at least 2-3 seasons, so it’s worth playing out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Magnifico said:

See this as move that will stop the Saints from rebuilding in the short term and keep them in the middle and pushing salary into the future or as a first round exit tops. He's significantly better than Winston and Dalton but I don't see them as contenders especially with the difficult cap situation.

They needed to rip the bandaid off and look to the next generation of Saints Football. I think Long term Atlanta and Panthers will be in a better position once this contract plays out.

Dalton was surprisingly solid last season, which is why I'm down on this signing. He's better than Dalton going forward for sure but how much better is he than 2022 Dalton and we saw how mid of a team the Saints were in that case. Maybe Carmichael finally unlocks Carr's full potential?

3 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

He just came off an average year with a better receiving core, so I’m not sure how high my expectations go.

That said, average QB play should be more than enough to get the Saints into the playoffs. They’re probably locked in for at least 2-3 seasons, so it’s worth playing out.

OL is a massive improvement.

1 minute ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Dalton was surprisingly solid last season, which is why I'm down on this signing. He's better than Dalton going forward for sure but how much better is he than 2022 Dalton and we saw how mid of a team the Saints were in that case. Maybe Carmichael finally unlocks Carr's full potential?

Dalton undoubtedly cost us some games last year despite what his PFF numbers and QB Rating say. There were some terrible sacks, forced redzone interceptions, and he didn’t really check down to Kamara nearly as much as he should have.

I’m not going to pretend I watched many Raiders games last year, but it seems like it was a bit of an outlier for Carr statistically speaking. I have heard nothing but negative things regarding their system/coaching staff last year from Raiders fans. Leads me to believe I can probably expect closer to 2020/2021 production from Carr rather than what he did last season, which would be a significant improvement at QB for the Saints.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kingram said:

When? 2016? That was also by far Carr's best year. He was a legit MVP candidate for most of the year.

2016 was one, yes, where he had a strong season (not remotely close to winning MVP as you suggested). But also 2017, one of Carr’s worst seasons, with the same line. An Carr, elite offensive line, Michael Crabtree, Amari Cooper, and Jared Cook, should’ve done a hell of a lot more than league-average or worse.

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

2016 was one, yes, where he had a strong season (not remotely close to winning MVP as you suggested). But also 2017, one of Carr’s worst seasons, with the same line. An Carr, elite offensive line, Michael Crabtree, Amari Cooper, and Jared Cook, should’ve done a hell of a lot more than league-average or worse.

I said he was a legit MVP candidate...Which he was. He finished 3rd in voting with 12% of the vote. I guess we will find out.

49 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Dalton undoubtedly cost us some games last year despite what his PFF numbers and QB Rating say. There were some terrible sacks, forced redzone interceptions, and he didn’t really check down to Kamara nearly as much as he should have.

I’m not going to pretend I watched many Raiders games last year, but it seems like it was a bit of an outlier for Carr statistically speaking. I have heard nothing but negative things regarding their system/coaching staff last year from Raiders fans. Leads me to believe I can probably expect closer to 2020/2021 production from Carr rather than what he did last season, which would be a significant improvement at QB for the Saints.

It was a strange year last year tbh. We were all expecting Carr to be very good with the best recieving core he's ever had. Although to be fair, Waller was injured most of the year and even when on the field he was a liability 50% of the time, tipping a few balls for interceptions and dropping a few easy TDs that he would normally catch. Renfrow was injured a lot of the year too and made some uncharacteristic mistakes like fumbling two plays in a row to cost us the Cardinals game. Overall, I'd say Carr never really looked comfortable in the McDaniels system. He always has had ups and downs and some great games and some bad ones but he just never looked dialed in.

The Oline was not good last year and we actually rotated linemen the first half dozen games like the Dline 😲 I think a large part of what makes Carr tick is having belief in the Oline (which he didn't have), feeling comfortable and getting into rhythm. He played best under Musgrave and Gruden when they would ease him in, get him settled with some easy throws (he tends to get excited early in games and let some passes fly on him) and let him then find his rhythm. He's always been great at comebacks and pulling a W out of the bag in the clutch but for some reason that all went down the drain last year.

I think he'll actually be a pretty good QB for the Saints and if they can get him in his comfort zone he could exceed expectations. It'll be fascinating to see. 👍 

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kingram said:

I said he was a legit MVP candidate...Which he was. He finished 3rd in voting with 12% of the vote. I guess we will find out.

Lol, alright. I don’t consider guys who are clearly not in the running to win “candidates”, so I guess it’s semantics. Matt Ryan won that and it wasn’t remotely close.

That part aside, I think we know who Carr is at this point. Unless he’s walking into a perfect situation (high end weapons, quality OL play, elite offensive coaching) then I think he’s going to continue being the guy that he’s pretty much shown to be for his entire career. Slightly above average. A quality season 7 years ago with an elite OL doesn’t really move that needle considering A) the line this year probably won’t be what that prime Raiders line was, and B) Carr regressed hard the following season with the same players.

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Lol, alright. I don’t consider guys who are clearly not in the running to win “candidates”, so I guess it’s semantics. Matt Ryan won that and it wasn’t remotely close.

That part aside, I think we know who Carr is at this point. Unless he’s walking into a perfect situation (high end weapons, quality OL play, elite offensive coaching) then I think he’s going to continue being the guy that he’s pretty much shown to be for his entire career. Slightly above average. A quality season 7 years ago with an elite OL doesn’t really move that needle considering A) the line this year probably won’t be what that prime Raiders line was, and B) Carr regressed hard the following season with the same players.

Matt Ryan only got 50% of the votes...lol. Thats a very low number. It was one of the more competitive MVP races.