Saints Sign Derek Carr (4 Years 150m)

goldfishwars

4 minutes ago, Kingram said:

It was the closest MVP race since 2005, so yeah...

Lol, alright. Like I said, semantics. 

To me, 25-23 would be close. Maybe 25-20. If your competition is quadrupling you in votes, that’s not close to me, lol. 

4 minutes ago, Kingram said:

Regardless, the last time Carr had an OL as good as the one he will have this year he had by far his best season.

The line was dominant in 2017. 

He did have back issues, but then also elected to play in the Pro Bowl, lol.

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

Lol, alright. Like I said, semantics. 

To me, 25-23 would be close. Maybe 25-20. If your competition is quadrupling you in votes, that’s not close to me, lol. 

The line was dominant in 2017. 

He did have back issues, but then also elected to play in the Pro Bowl, lol.

He also finished 2016 hurt and missed a game. You can continue to be obtuse if you want, I'm not sure what else to say. He was great in 2016. He played through a bad injury in 2017. I don't think its a coincidence his best season came with the best OL he's had in his career.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

He just came off an average year with a better receiving core, so I’m not sure how high my expectations go.

That said, average QB play should be more than enough to get the Saints into the playoffs. They’re probably locked in for at least 2-3 seasons, so it’s worth playing out.

But did he? 

Renfrow missed 7 games, Waller missed 8 and didn't start 2 more, and Moreau played dinged up all year. 

For like half of Carr's starts he had Adams, Mack Hollins who is more like a #4, and a banged up backup TE. I'd call that one of the worst overall receiving corps in the league. And neither Renfrow nor Waller were even very good when they did play. Add in the "very complex" new system for every single one of them, it was honestly a pretty abysmal situation. 

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

But did he? 

Renfrow missed 7 games, Waller missed 8 and didn't start 2 more, and Moreau played dinged up all year. 

For like half of Carr's starts he had Adams, Mack Hollins who is more like a #4, and a banged up backup TE. I'd call that one of the worst overall receiving corps in the league. And neither Renfrow nor Waller were even very good when they did play. Add in the "very complex" new system for every single one of them, it was honestly a pretty abysmal situation. 

vs who? Olave, Juwuan Johnson, and Rahid Shaheed? Maybe MT, who hasn’t been told in 4 years? Yeah, I’ll take Adams, Hollins, and half a season of Renfrow. Not to mention Jacobs coming off an All-Pro season vs Kamara. 

Again, NO could add players to that group, but it’s not really that inspiring. 

• Like 1

Just now, seminoles1 said:

He was a legit contender before his injury. Him still getting votes kind of proves that.

He has to be being intentionally obtuse at this point. It was the most competitive MVP race of the last 20 years.

Doesn't really move the needle for me. I don't think Carr is a massive upgrade to Dalton/Winston. 

I'm more interested in what this means for Michael Thomas. After he restructured, I thought it a foregone conclusion he was getting cut. Now, I'm not so sure....Sure, he hasn't played much, but if he stays healthy, he can still ball.

11 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

But did he? 

From what I saw, Renfrow wasn’t playing at the same (2021) level either when he was on the field last year. Was a bit surprised to see him regress. Curious to see if he bounces back this year.

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

1st Team All-Pro Davante Adams and 1st Team All-Pro Josh Jacobs didn’t play the majority of last season? 

Olave looked like a rookie stud but he’s no Adams. Kamara’s had some awesome seasons but Jacobs was way more impactful last year. Renfrow missed a little more than half the season (yet was still more reliable than MT has been for 4 years now) and Waller’s…Waller. Won’t even bother splitting the hairs of Mack Hopkins vs Rahid Shaheed (Hollins had a semi decent season though). 

Yeah, the pass protection is an upgrade, but the run game/receiving weapons are a downgrade, for now. NO could always add pieces (somehow).

Waller was pretty awful last year 😁 tipped at least a few passes for interceptions that he would normally gather and dropped at least a couple easy TDs, he almost single hand idly cost us a couple games. Even when he came back late in the season he was a non factor really. Lots of Raiders forum members are wanting to trade him for cap relief. I think he’ll bounce back but he wasn’t very good last year at all!

7 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

Doesn't really move the needle for me. I don't think Carr is a massive upgrade to Dalton/Winston. 

I'm more interested in what this means for Michael Thomas. After he restructured, I thought it a foregone conclusion he was getting cut. Now, I'm not so sure....Sure, he hasn't played much, but if he stays healthy, he can still ball.

He is a massive upgrade to Dalton and Winston lol

4 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Waller was pretty awful last year 😁 tipped at least a few passes for interceptions that he would normally gather and dropped at least a couple easy TDs, he almost single hand idly cost us a couple games. Even when he came back late in the season he was a non factor really. Lots of Raiders forum members are wanting to trade him for cap relief. I think he’ll bounce back but he wasn’t very good last year at all!

Yeah, I know, that’s why I said it that way, lol. Legitimate questions about his health/toughness/motivations, he’s unreliable at this point. That wasn’t supposed to be a plus.

• Like 2