Saints Sign Derek Carr (4 Years 150m)

goldfishwars

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

He played hurt down the stretch as well, didn't he?

Yeah pretty sure he broke a finger in November. I don't get why he's acting like Matt Ryan was some slam dunk all year. Carr missed week 17 and still received 12% of the vote.

50 minutes ago, Kingram said:

They have a "real HC" because he won 13 games with a laughably easy schedule? Interesting. I'll make you a friendly bet that the Saints finish with more wins this year than the Vikings. Deal? Winner gets to bring this back up next December.

Deal.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

2016 was one, yes, where he had a strong season (not remotely close to winning MVP as you suggested). But also 2017, one of Carr’s worst seasons, with the same line. An Carr, elite offensive line, Michael Crabtree, Amari Cooper, and Jared Cook, should’ve done a hell of a lot more than league-average or worse.

In fairness in 2017 he broke a bone in his back against Washington early in the season, missed a game or two and then played injured for a few and was noticeably hobbled. We also changed OC from Bill Musgrave who was great to Todd Downing who was pretty bad. He still didn’t play well though, but it’s not like he just suddenly had a down year, there were some circumstances to that which need to be mentioned.

54 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

He just came off an average year with a better receiving core, so I’m not sure how high my expectations go.

That said, average QB play should be more than enough to get the Saints into the playoffs. They’re probably locked in for at least 2-3 seasons, so it’s worth playing out.

That didn't play the majority of the season. I think he will thrive in New Orleans personally. I pencilled it in as his most likely landing spot months ago.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

That didn't play the majority of the season. I think he will thrive in New Orleans personally. I pencilled it in as his most likely landing spot months ago.

Also if you assume full health, I'm not sure its a downgrade. Adams obviously the best out of both teams but MT is still great when he plays, Olave is very good, Kamara a big weapon and Shaheed emerged as an awesome deep threat last year. I think the Saints receiving core is pretty damn good.

• Like 2

It’s wild that one could easily argue the Saints currently have the 2 best QB’s in the NFC South 😂

It wasn’t long ago this division featured QB’s such as Brees, Brady, Newton, and Ryan. What a drop off a few years can make.

9 minutes ago, Kingram said:

Also if you assume full health, I'm not sure its a downgrade. Adams obviously the best out of both teams but MT is still great when he plays, Olave is very good, Kamara a big weapon and Shaheed emerged as an awesome deep threat last year. I think the Saints receiving core is pretty damn good.

Our WR2 for most of the year was Mack Hollins. And TE1 for most of the year was Moreau, who is generously a low end starter with huge mental lapses.

18 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

That didn't play the majority of the season. 

1st Team All-Pro Davante Adams and 1st Team All-Pro Josh Jacobs didn’t play the majority of last season? 

Olave looked like a rookie stud but he’s no Adams. Kamara’s had some awesome seasons but Jacobs was way more impactful last year. Renfrow missed a little more than half the season (yet was still more reliable than MT has been for 4 years now) and Waller’s…Waller. Won’t even bother splitting the hairs of Mack Hopkins vs Rahid Shaheed (Hollins had a semi decent season though). 

Yeah, the pass protection is an upgrade, but the run game/receiving weapons are a downgrade, for now. NO could always add pieces (somehow).

12 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

25-6 is, in your opinion, competitive?

It was the closest MVP race since 2005, so yeah... Regardless, the last time Carr had an OL as good as the one he will have this year he had by far his best season.

1 hour ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Maybe Carmichael finally unlocks Carr's full potential?

I'm not sure Carmichael could unlock a box if you gave him the key and put it in the hole for him.....Did you see how awful the Saints offense was last year? The man has zero creativity and no clue how to get the ball into the hands of his best players.