Saints to sign QB Derek Carr

RaidersAreOne

16 hours ago, Kingram said:

If our OL performs like that, I'll be far more worried about that than the QB play. Good grief. Pocket collapsed faster than Jon Grudens coaching career.

I decided to go through some of the other clips that were posted by that twitter account, just curious to see if there were actual examples of being a bad QB, going through 8-9 clips and only one of them was actually a bad play by him.  The rest were collapsing pockets, no open receivers to throw to, or receivers making a mistake.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I come in peace!

I have to admit I haven't watched any Saint ball this year other than a number of highlight packs. How has DC been for you guys? I know he's been banged up a couple times already. Has he been looking good? What has he been excelling at vs. struggling?

I'm curious to hear how he's been.

5 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I come in peace!

I have to admit I haven't watched any Saint ball this year other than a number of highlight packs. How has DC been for you guys? I know he's been banged up a couple times already. Has he been looking good? What has he been excelling at vs. struggling?

Just go pull up a YouTube highlights page of him this year. It'll probably be about 36 seconds long, and include 2 games.

If they go hurry-up, he does well. If he takes time to process, he gets in his own head, and f's it all up.

The faster the better. Unfortunately, I lost Pete Carmichael's phone number, so I can't call him and tell him all the things the rest of us see...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Just go pull up a YouTube highlights page of him this year. It'll probably be about 36 seconds long, and include 2 games.

If they go hurry-up, he does well. If he takes time to process, he gets in his own head, and f's it all up.

The faster the better. Unfortunately, I lost Pete Carmichael's phone number, so I can't call him and tell him all the things the rest of us see...

Has he struggled in the RZ and getting happy feet whenever pressured? With Vegas as soon as he got hit once, he was cooked for the game. 

43 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Has he struggled in the RZ and getting happy feet whenever pressured? With Vegas as soon as he got hit once, he was cooked for the game. 

I haven't really noticed that. What I do notice is that our receivers aren't able to get open quickly enough for the line to keep the QB safe. There's just not (a) time for plays to develop, or (b) the OC can't design plays to fit the lack of talent on the O-line.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I come in peace!

Take him back!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I come in peace!

He won't lose you the game if your defense holds everyone to 12 points.  

He's been atrocious in the red zone, like franchise historically bad.  The oline isn't doing him any favors, but he's been bad regardless.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 10:12 AM, big_palooka said:

He has. He had one of the highest paid, top 5 Olines from 2018 to 2020. They were an elite pass protecting unit and it didn't matter. 

Second, the Raiders could not protect a lead this past season. Carr struggles in the second half with a lead dating back to his time with Gruden. He becomes conservative.

He is terrible in the red zone, which is why Dan Carlson lead the league in FGs from 20-29 yards. But, the biggest issue is he absolutely does not want to take a hit. This goes back to college. He becomes skittish in the pocket when he starts getting pressured. He won't let plays develop and leave big plays on the field zeroing in on his checks. Or worse, his footwork will get sloppy and he'll throw up a prayer. 

His biggest problem for me was inconsistency. He would have a couple games where he looked poised, accurate and determined. You get excited, then he lays an egg where he looks scared and makes boneheaded decisions. 

Example last season, on fire again KC week 5, lose by 1. Dominate against Houston week 6. Week 7, implodes against the Saints and can't get the ball across the 50.

He will go stretches where he won't target his top WR. Amari Cooper and Devante Adams both would disappear for games where he didn't target them. 

I like Carr, but he's decidedly average and will frustrate you with moments of brilliance followed by streaks of mediocre play. Glad he's your problem now. 

Was certainly interested to see how he'd progress with the Saints. Going back to my post in March, he's hitting every mark of his Raiders career and what we came to know if him. I didn't even mention the passive aggressive, not taking accountability and throwing teammates under the bus stuff. The energy from the team when Jameis came in was noticeable this past week. 

One positive from this most recent Derek Carr injury is that I think our chances of actually drafting a QB high in the offseason drastically increased. That’s 2 arm injuries to go along with inconsistent play in just over half a season from Carr. 

Obviously we won’t be in position to draft players like Caleb Williams/Drake Maye, but I’m still very intrigued by some of the other QB’s in this draft such as Jayden Daniels, Michael Pennix, JJ McCarthy, and Bo Nix. 

• Like 1

As with any change we make, as a Saints fan, I'm always optimistic.

I was really, really hoping that a different scheme, different surrounding, different relationships, and a different defense could maybe be the combination that Carr needed to get over the hump and perform like an all pro. Well, he hasn't.

In 10 games, we've seen about 2 flashes of brilliance...and that's about it. He is performing at a mediocre level, at best, and is not putting us in positions to win.

We can make all the excuses in the world about "we're missing (insert injured player's name here)" or "there were so many bad penalties" or "our receivers are dropping too many passes" etc... 

All that crap flies out the window when I see...;
Jordan Love (1st year starter) put a 93.3 rating on us.
Mac Jones (generally garbage) put a 114.7 rating on us.
Gardner Minshew (perennial backup) put a 133.4 rating on us.
Tyson Bagent (from some tiny school, and his 2nd NFL start) put a 118 rating on us.

I put all these ratings up there because Carr - a 10 year starter - has barely hit those same numbers.
Carr's best 4 performances carry ratings of 104.6, 108.8, 114.7, and 133.3. 5 of the other 6 games are sub 90 (with 2 games in the 60's).

Last season, ANDY DALTON put up better numbers through 10 games, and was 15/12 TD to INT in that span. Carr is 10/4 which shows his conservative play. 

• Like 1

Carr thinks he's better than he is... period. I wanted (much like @Mid Iowa said) to think a change of scenery was all DC needed. But, truthfully, not remotely close to being correct. Frustrating thing was he exhibited some nice play in pre-season (but it doesn't really count does it?) He's a scrub who's an okay backup, essentially. He might have passion for the game but passion means squat when you make bad decisions on a weekly basis. 

• Like 2

Whomever signed off giving him 100 GTD should be fired. They had 9 years evidence who the guy was and thought somehow it was the Raiders defense that held him back.

Ironically, the Raiders defense is the best it's been in a decade with Carr gone and the Saints are trending worse than in recent years. Explain that. 

• Like 2