Titans expected to release OLB Bud Dupree

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think there's a possibility. Bud will have to accept being the #3 guy, though. 

if/ when he can stay healthy enough to play

2 hours ago, DawgX said:

Definitely knew that signing wasn't going to turn out great at the time.

glad we never signed him to that type of a deal. Still would much prefer Justin Houston as the rotation Edge3 player despite age. Not a fan of bud overall, took him 4 years to finally play like a RD1 pick . 

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

Who could have seen this one not working out?

(Hint, a lot of people)

our forum was glad the FO never gave him such a deal.  But there are other players out there getting such deals as well, and not living up to the deal.  Sometimes a team trades for a player that never even plays and the player is paid 7 or 8 digits9_9

Edited by 3rivers

I always wondered how Bud made it so long in the NFL so far but Beasley didn't.   Bud was better against the run and tackling for sure but beasley was a bit better in coverage and created more turnovers with a few more sacks.

2015-2019  When both were starters

Bud 
31.5 Sacks
50 QB Hits
46 TFL
200 Tackles
9 PD
6 FF
1 int

Vic 
37.5 Sacks
46 QB Hits
37 TFL
160 Tackles
12 PD
11 FF
1 int

Overall Bud was maybe a little better but im not sure if he was enough better to be in the league and beasley to be out of it lol.

2 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

I always wondered how Bud made it so long in the NFL so far but Beasley didn't.   Bud was better against the run and tackling for sure but beasley was a bit better in coverage and created more turnovers with a few more sacks.

Bud 
31.5 Sacks
50 QB Hits
46 TFL
200 Tackles
9 PD
6 FF
1 int

Vic 
37.5 Sacks
46 QB Hits
37 TFL
160 Tackles
12 PD
11 FF
1 int

Overall Bud was maybe a little better but im not sure if he was enough better to be in the league and beasley to be out of it lol.

did Vic have eventual DPOY opposite him to help his numbers?

did Vic play on a good defence?

did Vic have a pro bowler next to him (Heyward) ?

Not sure why Beasley is out, maybe he had behaviour issues with coaches  or teammates, that can get in the way. On the field though,  your numbners plus what I mentioned should make it favourable for  Beasley when comparing to bud. I hope someone signs bud to a prove it deal thats much more than the Steelers will offer. Really hoping 

15 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Bud 
31.5 Sacks
50 QB Hits
46 TFL
200 Tackles
9 PD
6 FF
1 int

Vic 
37.5 Sacks
46 QB Hits
37 TFL
160 Tackles
12 PD
11 FF
1 int

A big part of it is that Beasley's numbers there are super fluffed up by a basically historically unsustainable 2016 season, that no one really trusted. Something like 30% of his pressures that year resulted in a sack, when league average is like 15%. So he had like 15 sacks on like 50 pressures. He was actually pretty average in terms of how consistently he beat the OT across from him, and he only really had speed in his arsenal, so some guys could shut him down completely even then. Now to some extent, turning pressures into sacks is a skill. But realistically, the best way to continue producing as a pass rusher is to just get a lot of pressures. So his pressures dipped a little bit after 2016, but more inevitably, his sacks plummeted because he regressed to more league standard rates of converting pressures to sacks. And his forced fumbles and overall impact fell along with that.

Now, for why he's already out, it's because his peak happened so early that no one ever really had to bet on him. His peak year caused Atlanta to exercise the 5th year option, but by the time that had rolled around it was already very clear that '16 was an outlier, and '17/'18 was who he really was. The Titans gave him one last shot, but at that point risk was clearly high, so he never got more than a one year deal. And he did absolutely nothing, so that was smart on the Titans part. Bud Dupree peaked a little later in his rookie deal, so that enticed someone to pay him big money hoping 2019 would be the norm. I think it was predictable that it wouldn't be, but the Titans took that gamble on Dupree that they didn't have to take when they signed Beasley.

On 3/6/2023 at 3:27 PM, Jakuvious said:

A big part of it is that Beasley's numbers there are super fluffed up by a basically historically unsustainable 2016 season, that no one really trusted. Something like 30% of his pressures that year resulted in a sack, when league average is like 15%. So he had like 15 sacks on like 50 pressures. He was actually pretty average in terms of how consistently he beat the OT across from him, and he only really had speed in his arsenal, so some guys could shut him down completely even then. Now to some extent, turning pressures into sacks is a skill. But realistically, the best way to continue producing as a pass rusher is to just get a lot of pressures. So his pressures dipped a little bit after 2016, but more inevitably, his sacks plummeted because he regressed to more league standard rates of converting pressures to sacks. And his forced fumbles and overall impact fell along with that.

Now, for why he's already out, it's because his peak happened so early that no one ever really had to bet on him. His peak year caused Atlanta to exercise the 5th year option, but by the time that had rolled around it was already very clear that '16 was an outlier, and '17/'18 was who he really was. The Titans gave him one last shot, but at that point risk was clearly high, so he never got more than a one year deal. And he did absolutely nothing, so that was smart on the Titans part. Bud Dupree peaked a little later in his rookie deal, so that enticed someone to pay him big money hoping 2019 would be the norm. I think it was predictable that it wouldn't be, but the Titans took that gamble on Dupree that they didn't have to take when they signed Beasley.

There's also the part about Dupree being a quality run defender on the edge, whereas Beasley offered little outside of his pass rushing. I'd take a shot on Dupree now on a cheap contract to see if he stays healthy. If he does, you get a great athlete who can defend the run and will play with his motor revved as a pass rusher.

17 hours ago, -Hope- said:

that offseason both trey hendrickson and haason reddick were available. we needed an edge and i was banging on the table for anyone except bud dupree. so what did jon robinson go and do? dumbass.

teams make bad UFA decisions and trades, it's the NFL. If they didn't sing him someone else would have. Reddick and Hendrickson should have been on the radar, did they even offer them a deal or interview?