Free Agency Frenzy

gopherwrestler

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Whatever happened to Charlestron?

He used to be on Twitter, as I followed him, but he appears to have dropped his account.  But, I think he went into personal training...he last played in the Spring League in 2020.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 10:01 AM, vikesfan89 said:

Well Thielen was number 1 for a few days

Depends on which receiver swoons the new kid the most😅   Theilen's got more cash . . . Chark's got a slight size and major speed advantage . . . Even with their D, I'm not seeing Carolina as a SB contender, but they could win the south.  Then, who knows?

Edited by ArcticNorseman

Anyone a fan of the Greg Joseph resigning?  I just don’t understand. You resign reliable and productive players. Kickers already have their own set of rules, but ones that missed as many field goals as he did, I’m unsure as to how he earned another year or two under the Vikings banner. 

Are there also Joseph fans here? Maybe you could enlighten me. 

22 minutes ago, Morlee said:

Anyone a fan of the Greg Joseph resigning?  I just don’t understand. You resign reliable and productive players. Kickers already have their own set of rules, but ones that missed as many field goals as he did, I’m unsure as to how he earned another year or two under the Vikings banner. 

I’m ok with it. The continuity is the part many are hoping for now

4 hours ago, Morlee said:

His FG kicking was actually rather reliable inside 50 yards. Of his 7 misses, 6 were longer than 50 yards. He also made a couple of clutch kicks. He also has the leg to hit at 60-63 if desparate. Extra Points were a disaster, but I guess the thinking is that you can always go for two point conversions if necessary. He's been decent on kickoffs as well.

All said, he's a middle-of-the-road kicker who provides continuity at the position. I suspect that's why they brought him back. Sad to say, but he's the best kicker we've had since the first couple seasons Longwell was here. 

5 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I’m ok with it. The continuity is the part many are hoping for now

But should continuity cost us potential games? He’s missing FGs that most other kickers make. What other team’s fan base instantly crosses their fingers when their kicker is going up for an extra point attempt?

We did well in close one score games last year, but we can’t rely on this team winning 11, or however much it was, one score games again. I certainly wouldn’t want it to come down to Joseph. 

How much can a kicker matter in the grand scheme of things? Is he really that pivotal a piece for continuity’s sake? Surely they'll bring in another kicker as competition. He’s really done nothing to just be given the job…

I’m not worried about Joseph, and there’s really no purpose to bring in someone else. 

The week 2 game at Arizona in 2021 is the only game where Joseph has missed a kick that cost the Vikings a win. 

And he’s more than made up for it with some clutch kicks of his own, including 5 game winners this past year. 

• Like 2

It is a 1-year deal and he has the 20th highest cap hit for a kicker. He's actually making less than he made last year.

He was 22/23 from <49 and 4/10 from 50+. The 6 missed XPs are concerning but hopefully he can get it corrected. Do we have a kicking coach? Wasn't it Longwell who pointed out a "simple" mechanics issues with Carlson that he said was "easily" correctable?