The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

9 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Who do you guys want managing this team next year? Do you want to give Shildt a full season or go with someone new? 

@CWood21 @kgarrett12486 @StLunatic88 @MOSteelers56

I was firmly on the Ryne Sandberg hire before they opted to go with Matheny last time, but him re-signing midseason was kind of weird for me.  Shildt will get an interview, but I don't see him as a viable candidate.

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I agree, we either need to commit to a true rebuild or completely rework the roster via trades and FA this offseason. No more of this add a few pieces here and there to this 'core' like we've done so much over the recent.

If we're going the rebuild route, I'd like Schildt to get a legit shot to run a team through the offseason to finish of a season. Commit to him for a full year like Cubs did with Renteria. If you're dream manager becomes available, then pursue. 

Unfortunately, there's like a 1% chance they do a full rebuild.  And I'm not even talking about LOLastros or Cubs rebuild, I'm talking about a Brewers/Braves rebuild.

See, I think Shildt is going to be a very serious candidate. I know It doesn’t necessarily reflect in their record, but I’ve already seen some things that Shildt has done that MM would never do that I’ve been really impressed with. 

I’d be fine if Shildt was given the position. I’m also intrigued by a few candidates....Carlos Beltran might be my favorite from the inexperienced tree. Don’t really want Girardi but I’m becoming more and more open to the idea, the reported communication issues he had in NY with some of the players is obviously concerning because it sounds so familiar. But I’d almost want to go with Shildt or Beltran before I gave it to Girardi. 

So Shildt and Beltran might be at the top of my list. Unless of course some miracle happens and Terry Francona becomes available. 

5 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

SSS and certainly could be coincidence, but I had to check on Dex's production post-Matheny.  

.265/.350/.500, 128 wRC+ 

Maybe he completely turns it around and we can salvage something, but what does that say about him as a player that a Manager would drop him THAT much?

7 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Maybe he completely turns it around and we can salvage something, but what does that say about him as a player that a Manager would drop him THAT much?

Nothing? 

I think the consistent playing time is helping Fowler more than anything. 

3 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Lot of moves coming in...

holland and Lyons DFA’d

Hudson added to roster 

Cecil to DL 

Tui traded to Mariners for Seth Elledge RHP (#10 prospect in their system according to Mlb.com) 

Some rumblings they're listening to offers on Bud Norris.  As they should.

17 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I hope the hacking scandal doesn’t screw us again because I think the Astros would be an ideal trade partner in the coming days. They need bullpen help and offense from corner OF and DH spots. They look like a good spot for Norris and Jose to land.

From everything I've read, they're not really looking to make moves.

33 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Hes had stretches of consistent play this year, and all of last year.

Yeah and he was at least decent last year. And he hit .188 in April and from May 1st till MM got fired he was limited to pinch-hitting duties in 27 of the next 61 games.