The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

8 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Wacha probably out until the All Star break. Ponce started yesterday for Memphis but got pulled after only 3 innings and 45 pitches. Got to think once Gant entered the game yesterday, Memphis got the call to sit him. 

Hopefully he comes back from his DL stint better than Martinez did.

We need to sell at the deadline. Gyorko, Jose Martinez, Carpenter, Fowler(miracle), Holland, Norris, Wacha, Mikolas, Kelly, Brebbia, maybe Ozuna(I’d personally rather not) all can go. We’ve got way too much slightly above average talent and we need to start building for the future around our young arms. I thought we did well to trim fat last year but we need to be a little more aggressive with it this year.

Anyone hear Mozeliak’s interview this morning on KMOX? Pretty much said Fowler isn’t giving enough effort this year. 

I feel like he's someone that when we signed him he brought a lot of energy to our club, and right now you're just not seeing that same type and I hope we can get back to that.

18 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

We need to sell at the deadline. Gyorko, Jose Martinez, Carpenter, Fowler(miracle), Holland, Norris, Wacha, Mikolas, Kelly, Brebbia, maybe Ozuna(I’d personally rather not) all can go. We’ve got way too much slightly above average talent and we need to start building for the future around our young arms. I thought we did well to trim fat last year but we need to be a little more aggressive with it this year.

As much as we should, it won't happen.  We missed the boat on moving Jedd Gyorko last deadline when he was scorching hot.  Even getting a pair of good, but not great prospects would have been a strong return.  Jose Martinez has been our best hitter this year, and you'd have to think he'd have value around the league given he's making peanuts.  We missed the board on moving Carpenter by a couple of seasons.  His value is in the tank.  Fowler is untradeable because of that NTC.

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

Im going to enjoy watching us pay our 4th OF $16.5m for the next season and a half until Dexter finally complains enough to force a trade.

I mean, he's from the Georgia area so the Braves are probably our "best" bet to dump Fowler on.  I'd imagine the Cardinals would probably have to eat most of Fowler's contract.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, he's from the Georgia area so the Braves are probably our "best" bet to dump Fowler on.  I'd imagine the Cardinals would probably have to eat most of Fowler's contract.

Oh, Im not even pretending to look where we could send him. Youre probably right though.

Man do I wish we would have spent that money on Josh Reddick, 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?