Raiders sign QB Jimmy Garoppolo (3 years, $67.5M, $34M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

So, I'm trying to sell myself on Jimmy Garoppolo being a great fit for us, can someone sell me on him being our QB please? What does he bring that makes him a good signing and can he take us forward or is he only a bridge QB? Why is he going to be successful when Carr wasn't?

Win loss record and high expectation to continue it other than that I got nothing 

• Like 1

Just now, NCOUGHMAN said:

Win loss record and high expectation to continue it other than that I got nothing 

Jimmy G's reputation has taken a big hit the past couple seasons but not too long ago he was very highly regarded as San Frans franchise QB. He had a lot to do with the 49ers success (Read what 9e fans are saying in their forum). He is brittle and his deep ball sucks, but he is an upgrade to Carr mentality and won't fold like a lawn chair like we've been accustomed to.

Jimmy G is better than general fans give him credit for, it's just the injury concerns that make this signing a little worrisome. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, true2form said:

Difference being Smith was there for a few years and they were already a playoff team.  Drafting our "Mahomes" wouldn't be this year for a similar circumstance. We would need at least a couple off-season's to get the team up to par with where the Chiefs were when they drafted Pat.

Um no they weren’t a playoff team when Smith came on board. He was part of what pushed them to being a playoff team. That KC team was a joke before Reid came on board I mean they didn’t get the number one pick in 2011 because they traded up to it. I’d argue that they were as good as the raiders are today. All I’m saying is that Jimmy G provides stability at the position. The Raiders can draft a guy like Richardson or Levis and not have to rush them out to start. 

2 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Um no they weren’t a playoff team when Smith came on board. He was part of what pushed them to being a playoff team. That KC team was a joke before Reid came on board I mean they didn’t get the number one pick in 2011 because they traded up to it. I’d argue that they were as good as the raiders are today. All I’m saying is that Jimmy G provides stability at the position. The Raiders can draft a guy like Richardson or Levis and not have to rush them out to start. 

I meant they were a playoff team when Mahommes came onboard. We are not on par with the Chiefs so the situations don't align is my point. 

Win the division two years in a row and then draft a guy to get over the hump, that is the comparison.

6 minutes ago, true2form said:

I meant they were a playoff team when Mahommes came onboard. We are not on par with the Chiefs so the situations don't align is my point. 

Win the division two years in a row and then draft a guy to get over the hump, that is the comparison.

By that reasoning if Garappolo can get us to the playoffs then the situations are parallel.  I am not saying he will but just we do not know until we see what Jimmy can do with the team.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

If he went to Fresno, you'd be saying he's a steal and needed a change of scenery. 

Your opinion is meaningless. 

I remember you were a coward last year and went ghost after I was proven right about Tae. You have been wrong over and over again. Crazy how you try to judge my Opinion. You are a little boy to me. 

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I think this is a really good point. None of these big 4 QBs in this draft are generational prospects. There is a lot of “what if?” with every single one of them, where they could be great, but equally they could be mediocre or in the case of a couple of them just flat out busts.

If we gave up what the Panthers did in this draft I wouldn’t be impressed at all.

And that leads us to the question - what did Raiders fans actually expect in this off-season? I know some were pinning their hopes on Brady or Rodgers. Some want us to use a draft pick at QB. Some wanted to retain Carr. Some wanted to use Stidham as a bridge. I think it’s safe to say when there’s this much discrepancy in the direction fans want the team to take, it’s clear that there’s no consensus route to success.

Garoppolo is underwhelming, but I’m not sure there were many better options out there, and in terms of value we’ve actually done relatively well.

I agree with all of this. 

Carr was average, reportedly got the ire of teammates not taking accountability and for how he was playing. No problem moving on. 

The problem, fans wanted an "upgrade" which was not realistic without parting with much needed draft capital on 40 year old Rodgers that has no future in it. 

Jimmy G is a system fit, knows the culture. Smart signing as a bridge. And we can all judge as that QB gets here. 

Everyone wants their Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, etc. and that is a process. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Jimmy G's reputation has taken a big hit the past couple seasons but not too long ago he was very highly regarded as San Frans franchise QB. He had a lot to do with the 49ers success (Read what 9e fans are saying in their forum). He is brittle and his deep ball sucks, but he is an upgrade to Carr mentality and won't fold like a lawn chair like we've been accustomed to.

Jimmy G is better than general fans give him credit for, it's just the injury concerns that make this signing a little worrisome. 

Add that to the fact that he's been on two teams with elite defenses, great HCs, and when he was with the 9ers during their SB run they had the #1 rushing offense.  Also add into the fact that he's never thrown for over 4,000 yards or 27 TDs.  Pretty sure he's only played one entire season during his entire career.  He's been on a team for 146 games, started 57 of them.  A lot about him concerns me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

the pivot with no plan is what doesnt make sense to me. 
-
the way i see it:
They left a job making 100k a year, because some fancy new tech firm was offering them 500k (brady) a year, so they told their boss they quit, and then the tech company went bankrupt 

Does there have to be a plan? Or maybe the plan is to find a better QB which will take some time. 

The way I see it:

They invested in a stock that had been up and down for years. They bet on it booming and as they got into Q4 the stock was vastly underperforming. They needed to dump the stock for the health of the portfolio.

Would you preferred they operated with a sunk-cost fallacy in the case of this stock?

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Does there have to be a plan? Or maybe the plan is to find a better QB which will take some time. 

The way I see it:

They invested in a stock that had been up and down for years. They bet on it booming and as they got into Q4 the stock was vastly underperforming. They needed to dump the stock for the health of the portfolio.

Would you preferred they operated with a sunk-cost fallacy in the case of this stock?

First to the bold. Yes, there should always be a plan when it comes to QB. The most important position on the football field. 

Fair enough to the way you see it: however id say they didnt buy the stock, they margin traded it and got liquidated.
They couldve sold the stock for a loss (IE Traded), but got liquidated and left with nothing.

I also believe selling a stock same year is a mistake. either do your research and hold long term, less taxes too, or dont gamble on yearly performances. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I remember you were a coward last year and went ghost after I was proven right about Tae. You have been wrong over and over again. Crazy how you try to judge my Opinion. You are a little boy to me. 

None of that makes sense, but sure. If that makes you feel better, go off. 

Just now, BackinBlack said:

First to the bold. Yes, there should always be a plan when it comes to QB. The most important position on the football field. 

Fair enough to the way you see it: however id say they didnt buy the stock, they margin traded it and got liquidated.
They couldve sold the stock for a loss (IE Traded), but got liquidated and left with nothing.

I also believe selling a stock same year is a mistake. either do your research and hold long term, less taxes too, or dont gamble on yearly performances. 

Fair enough. 

You don't see plan signing Jimmy G though?

Step 1: Sign QB who fits culture and knows the system. 

Step 2: Draft QBOTF when identified. 

Looks pretty clear to me. 

If your idea of a plan is land the next Burrow, Lawrence, etc. then you'll always be disappointed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Fair enough. 

You don't see plan signing Jimmy G though?

Step 1: Sign QB who fits culture and knows the system. 

Step 2: Draft QBOTF when identified. 

Looks pretty clear to me. 

If your idea of a plan is land the next Burrow, Lawrence, etc. then you'll always be disappointed. 

I wont lie, while I still dont have too high of expectations for this year, I do see the plan now. 
Which IMO is rebuild the next two years. . . which they wont admit. 
But if they get a rookie QB either this or next, they are (praying here), setting him up for success. 
Just keep building the roster, limit the dead cap money, and draft well. 

Its march, I am sure by sept ill have come around to Jimmy and believe we can compete for the playoffs, but at the moment i just dont see it. 

4 hours ago, Chali21 said:

This reminds me of when the Chiefs traded for Alex Smith. Smith was an above average QB but the team was never going to win a Super Bowl with him. This did let the team develop Mahomes. I know he is the best QB in the league but pre draft he was considered raw and needed to be benched. The Chiefs did that for a year and it paid major dividends. They were able to do that because of Smith.  If the Raiders decide to draft a QB Jimmy G is good enough to allow the rookie to sit and learn. 

Is it a lateral move from Carr? Yep. But it’s cheaper and he’s someone who can get along with McD. Also everyone including Jimmy G knows he’s the bridge QB. 

i can get with this, good post. 

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Jimmy has folded like a lawn chair in 5 of 6 years of being the starter in SF.