Raiders sign QB Jimmy Garoppolo (3 years, $67.5M, $34M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

My prediction for Jimmy G stats: 4,400 yards (68% comp), 34 TD, 8 INT

Love your optimism but Jimmy G has been injured or benched 16 games out of the last 3 seasons. The odds of him making it through a full season with our current group of interior lineman is effectively nil. Ill think he'll do good but not great. I'll reserve expectations until I see how he gels with Adams. If they show a good connection early on, that'll be the key to the whole offense working. Our lack of defensive focus will mean fast starts and playing from behind as well so he'll have a chance at big numbers if he stays healthy

3 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

Love your optimism but Jimmy G has been injured or benched 16 games out of the last 3 seasons. The odds of him making it through a full season with our current group of interior lineman is effectively nil. Ill think he'll do good but not great. I'll reserve expectations until I see how he gels with Adams. If they show a good connection early on, that'll be the key to the whole offense working. Our lack of defensive focus will mean fast starts and playing from behind as well so he'll have a chance at big numbers if he stays healthy

James is serviceable, Parham should improve, we just need one more guard and our OL should be at least above average.

10 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I'm playing 4D chess while you guys and the Raiders front office are playing checkers....  I am three steps ahead of every move that is made and have been right all along.  Get used to it!

4D chess is not keeping Carr for 17 years when he’s clearly a huge part of the problem and you can never admit his flaws which will never make him a consistent Top 12 QB, he’ll always me middle of the pack who has great streak and streaks of horror. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

My prediction for Jimmy G stats: 4,400 yards (68% comp), 34 TD, 8 INT

So top 5 QB numbers lol. I don’t think you realize how many limitations Jimmy has. He’s average and brittle. If we get a comparable version of what Carr was last year for us but better in the red zone ill be happy. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

So top 5 QB numbers lol. I don’t think you realize how many limitations Jimmy has. He’s average and brittle. If we get a comparable version of what Carr was last year for us but better in the red zone ill be happy. 

Agreed, of course since he’s our QB now people are going in “defend” mode. Ask anyone in NFL General the one QB I’ve criticized even more than Derek Carr the past few years… Jimmy G. Literally all the same flaws. Horrendous pocket presence, horrendous under pressure, I have said multiple times in the past two years Jimmy is the worst starter in the NFL when against pressure, he’s like a deer in headlights, bad play extender but not as bad as Carr, horrible deep ball, worse deep ball than Carr, average NFL arm (worse than Carr for sure), tendency to make absolute boneheaded mistakes at crucial moments. 

Two areas we will see improvement are the redzone and leadership. So I look forward to that. Finally a QB not scared to death in the redzone. I think Jimmy is a slight downgrade from Carr, but way cheaper. They are almost the same QB. 

11 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Agreed, of course since he’s our QB now people are going in “defend” mode. Ask anyone in NFL General the one QB I’ve criticized even more than Derek Carr the past few years… Jimmy G. Literally all the same flaws. Horrendous pocket presence, horrendous under pressure, I have said multiple times in the past two years Jimmy is the worst starter in the NFL when against pressure, he’s like a deer in headlights, bad play extender but not as bad as Carr, horrible deep ball, worse deep ball than Carr, average NFL arm (worse than Carr for sure), tendency to make absolute boneheaded mistakes at crucial moments. 

Two areas we will see improvement are the redzone and leadership. So I look forward to that. Finally a QB not scared to death in the redzone. I think Jimmy is a slight downgrade from Carr, but way cheaper. They are almost the same QB. 

If he’s that bad we are going to pay him $34m for 1 year, is that cheap ? 

11 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

I see essentially the same QB as well except we're trading Carr's deep ball for Jimmy G's redzone effectiveness. And thats a trade off I'm ok with. ill take the consistency and stability over the boom or bust mentality.

20 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Remember last offseason how he was all optimistic about the McDaniels-Ziegler duo, especially after they handed Carr that contract extension.  Man was Frankie WaterGunz insufferable when his boy got the contact last offseason. Dude was singing their praises lmao now that Carr was absolutely awful and got his walking papers, the guy is truly salty and its always fun to read his posts for a laugh now. 

Its “football 101” as he likes to say,  if you hate a team so much, go freaking root for another team. And maybe get some counseling. I know breakups can be hard. 

He was singing their praises when looked like we were committing to Carr. Which is ok in my book, we all agree to disagree. However, repeating disrespecting the raider shield, and calling us fans morons is overstepping the code. 

Its an issue I’ve seen online with so-called Raider fans siding with Carr wishing him to win a super bowl . If they loved him so much fine go cheer for the Saints. We still riding with silver and black

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Add in Jimmy G will be able to run JMD offense better than Carr.

He also is more mobile in the pocket and Carr. Which isn’t saying much but up is up. I have a feeling we are gonna take one of the 2nd level QBs in the draft with experience. Hendon Hooker or Thompson-Robinson 

59 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

He was singing their praises when looked like we were committing to Carr. Which is ok in my book, we all agree to disagree. However, repeating disrespecting the raider shield, and calling us fans morons is overstepping the code. 

Its an issue I’ve seen online with so-called Raider fans siding with Carr wishing him to win a super bowl . If they loved him so much fine go cheer for the Saints. We still riding with silver and black

I think few QBs would have succeeded with the roster the Raiders had the last 10 years. Carr isn’t a bad guy and has been apart of some big moments in the last 10 years with the Raiders. Personally I wouldn’t be mad if he won a Super Bowl, provided it wasn’t against the Raiders. He’s dealt with a lot and getting some level of success would anger me in the slightest. I wish him well but my team is the Raiders and I’ll alway root for them over any other player. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, raidr4life said:

He only cost $16m against the cap this year. I if we cut him next year we save $24m only $3m dead cap 

His cap number is $28m for 24. . He would cost $18.75m pre 1/6 & $15m post 1/6 if we cut him? But you think that’s good? 

Edited by Dessie

On 3/18/2023 at 12:30 PM, riceman80 said:

I see essentially the same QB as well except we're trading Carr's deep ball for Jimmy G's redzone effectiveness. And thats a trade off I'm ok with. ill take the consistency and stability over the boom or bust mentality.

To be honest, Carr's deep ball is nothing special. He air mails balls deep and usually cause the WR to wait on them. He's got a strong arm, but his deep ball always left a lot to be desired. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

To be honest, Carr's deep ball is nothing special. He air mails balls deep and usually cause the WR to wait on them. He's got a strong arm, but his deep ball always left a lot to be desired. 

His deep ball is absolutely a big step better than Jimmy’s. Though, Jimmy absolutely is better in the RZ.

Edited by FloydFan