Raiders sign QB Jimmy Garoppolo (3 years, $67.5M, $34M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Ok fine. Still majority of the people who were against moving on from Carr are the most negative about the team

That may very well be true but the facts are the facts and while Carr had his faults He was almost always available to play.  whereas Jimmy G might have his contract voided over an existing injury, at best Is a lesser talent but “better fit” (which just means he’s a JMD supporter imo but that’s an opinion).  It’s just a matter of how many games JG plays, and it’s not sounding promising.

plus, Our defense somehow got less talented.  When Epps, a SS who struggles in Coverage, and Robert Spillane (the absolute lowest talented green dot wearer in the league), a glorified backup, are your big additions your in trouble.  This defense is very very weak in the back 7.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

Out of thin air ? Lol you haven’t been reading the minicamp thread or the draft thread? Constantly negative comments on anything regarding the team

Bargain bin FAs in not necessarily punting, it’s using FA for depth. We haven’t exclusively signed Practice squad or XFL ridden players. We signed young vets that played some meaningful NFL snaps and produced some. Not marquee names but solid depth in case of injuries 

Building through the draft is their plan 

I hate to break it to you but "building through the draft" means rebuilding. These guys aren't going to come in and instantly be high-impact players. 10 wins is a pipe dream at this point. We still have unproven players on the interior OL and at all levels of the defense. It's a work in progress. I'm not even saying it's the wrong idea but let's face reality here. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

What’s funny is that in 90 days this could all be behind us and Jimmy is healthy. If he’s healthy we’re a 10 win team . I don’t see any position that were worst at than last season

Like the optimism. You genuinely think we improved at all positions?

I see us worse at DT, we replaced a good NT with nothing and added only Young the rookie really. We’re banking on progression and I just don’t see it.

I think we got worse at LB as Perryman was a leader and better than Spillane and worse at Safety with Harmon gone though if Smith turns out to be a good find that could change. CB is up in the air as there’s so many new faces. Could be better, could easily be worse. 

Very likely Jacobs won’t be able to sustain that level of play from last year so potentially a little worse than last year and QB is certainly debatable. Carr was more talented but Garoppolo should be a better fit…….I don’t want to get into this circular debate though so I’ll cede this one 😁

OLine is a strange one, Parham should be better with another year in the system but we’ve basically added no one of note that will really enhance the unit. Maybe we’ll be better just by chemistry and time.

I just don’t see a dramatic enough improvement tbh, I think it’ll be another long season sadly.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Seems like the people who were Derek Carr supporters are the most negative about the Raiders in 2023

Ironically,  if you ask them about the Saints they are SB Contenders

A lot of them were negative about the team last year too(when Derek Carr was on the team) and we saw how that turned out. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2023 at 11:45 AM, 101Raider said:

Honestly, long term this could workout well…

Assuming Brady as our QB isn’t a real thing, then we’re looking at Aiden or Hoyer as QB. That’s guaranteed #1 draft pick material right there… we finally get our franchise QB.

Trade Adams, Renfrow and Jacobs and we have a lot capital going into the draft to set a long-term foundation for our team.

You're right

*INSERT Alonzo Mourning GIF*

22 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Ok fine. Still majority of the people who were against moving on from Carr are the most negative about the team

I'd flip that and say that those who wanted Carr gone are generally more positive or forgiving with the way things are going.  As if they still believe that just because Carr is gone, we will automatically be better. 

18 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I actually like a lot of Ziegler's moves this year. I just think Jimmy makes 0 sense given the rest of the offseason. It's a ploy to buy time from Mark. That's all it is. But I think what will benefit this team long-term is getting a top QB from the draft.

I hated the Garoppolo move at the time but I’ve softened my stance a little since. It is one that is a bit of a ‘neither here nor there’ type move though. 

Garoppolo Is a decent QB so he’s not going to stink the place up and probably will lead us to a middling record, maybe around 6 to 8 wins. I don’t think it’s going to be enough to get in the playoffs or be a contender but he’s not super cheap either, so we do t save that much that we can retool the defence as much as we’d like.

At least with a guy like Stidham or Brissett or Mayfield their cost is significantly lower so you can accommodate a trade or have more assets to use on defence. 

So whilst I’m hoping for the best, I feel we’re caught between two stools, we’ve got a QB not good enough to make the team a contender but not cheap enough to allow those extra funds to really help the team and not bad enough to garner a really high pick in the next draft. No man’s land really. 

34 minutes ago, true2form said:

I'd flip that and say that those who wanted Carr gone are generally more positive or forgiving with the way things are going.  As if they still believe that just because Carr is gone, we will automatically be better. 

Or people like me who were ready for carr to be gone but thought that during year 2 in this new regime we’d not be a joke and half way to being a respectable organization. 

10 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I hated the Garoppolo move at the time but I’ve softened my stance a little since. It is one that is a bit of a ‘neither here nor there’ type move though. 

Garoppolo Is a decent QB so he’s not going to stink the place up and probably will lead us to a middling record, maybe around 6 to 8 wins. I don’t think it’s going to be enough to get in the playoffs or be a contender but he’s not super cheap either, so we do t save that much that we can retool the defence as much as we’d like.

At least with a guy like Stidham or Brissett or Mayfield their cost is significantly lower so you can accommodate a trade or have more assets to use on defence. 

So whilst I’m hoping for the best, I feel we’re caught between two stools, we’ve got a QB not good enough to make the team a contender but not cheap enough to allow those extra funds to really help the team and not bad enough to garner a really high pick in the next draft. No man’s land really. 

And it's ok other QB's will emerge 30mil comes off the books next season in dead cap alone, draft another QB much higher, draft well. Lets say the offense looks really good all the pieces in place. the defense actually shows improvement, with tons of Cap space incoming an improving defense do you then give up the farm for a QB? Knowing you have money to continue to strengthen defense with two real studs  Stidham leaving is actually the biggest disappointment for me i'd feel alot better if it was him getting the reps while Jimmy is out.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Or people like me who were ready for carr to be gone but thought that during year 2 in this new regime we’d not be a joke and half way to being a respectable organization. 

You are certainly an outlier and I respect you for that.  

1 hour ago, true2form said:

There’s one huge main difference ..We haven’t played 1 season without Carr yet. We don’t know what’s gonna happen.

We do know what Stidham had the best game of a QB during our 2022 season vs the league best defense. Carr had 9 seasons starting with us, last season led the league in INTs until his benching and bottom barrel RZ QB. 

Majority of the Carr supporters have been overwhelming negative on every move made since. Almost like there’s a vendetta against the GM and coach. 

Myself included have seen the bright side of things and have a wait and see approach to the NFL season. It’s like some of you have never watch a season before where teams win a lot more games than expected and vice versa.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

There’s one huge main difference ..We haven’t played 1 season without Carr yet. We don’t know what’s gonna happen.

If this is your argument "we don't know what's gonna happen", I don't know how you can complain about people not being 10-wins high on this team in the AFC west.

• Like 2