Bears Sign LB Tremaine Edmunds 4yr/$72m

CBears019

1 minute ago, St Vince said:

How so? You only got a 4 year deal for 94M. The Ravens got Smith for 5 years 100M.

I guess 94 is the same as 72, and just going off averages of contracts 18(4 years and 72) is cheaper than 20(5 years and 100).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Don't get it, is he better than Smith? 

Don't know why we need to keep answering this question at this point, especially considering the news around Lamar Jackson. Among other reasons, Roquan insisted on being his own agent and took business negotiations personally. After a certain point Roquan was never going to make a deal because his feelings/ego had been hurt.  There are other reasons as well, but in general Bears fans aren't overly upset he's gone.

6 minutes ago, St Vince said:

How so? You only got a 4 year deal for 94M. The Ravens got Smith for 5 years 100M.

Where are you seeing 4 years for $94 million? I've seen 4 years for $72mil but not $92mil. Even adding Edmunds and Edwards together is less than $94 mil.

Edit - Clearly I'm a minute later than the rest of the forum   lol

Edited by Sugashane

Just now, blkwdw13 said:

I guess 94 is the same as 72, and just going off averages of contracts 18(4 years and 72) is cheaper than 20(5 years and 100).

Was just curious, thought Smith was a solid LB. Now tell your GM to give the Rams a call for the Donald since they're having a fire sale. You have the capital and money to make it happen. That move would put you over the top. I like what you and the Lions are doing. Think you two will be fighting it out for the future kings of the North. Think GB and Minn will take a step back for a few years.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Where are you seeing 4 years for $94 million? I've seen 4 years for $72mil but not $92mil. Even adding Edmunds and Edwards together is less than $94 mil.

Edit - Clearly I'm a minute later than the rest of the forum   lol

I read it of Facebook wrong 😕 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Was just curious, thought Smith was a solid LB. Now tell your GM to give the Rams a call for the Donald since they're having a fire sale. You have the capital and money to make it happen. That move would put you over the top. I like what you and the Lions are doing. Think you two will be fighting it out for the future kings of the North. Think GB and Minn will take a step back for a few years.

I think in all honesty Poles was going to give him a big deal but Poles seems to be a bargaining guy. He tried to give Smith a top contract but Smith wanted THE top contract. He took it personal and wasn't going to negotiate in good faith after that.

So the summary of Smith and Poles from what I have gathered, and I may be missing something so I'm not saying this is a full definitive list.

Poles even put Smith on PUP so he could negotiate without risking a freak injury to Smith and told him he wanted to sign him long-term, which I thought was a hell of a respectful move. But then Smith acted like a petulant child and tried to rant that Poles was trying to take advantage of him, crying about them trying to rip him off (when he was looking at the starting offers being a top 5 offball LB deal apparently) and then demanded a trade. Poles called him out on it in a presser and pulled him off PUP since he wasn't going to be crapped on, and made him get back to work. Poles tried to negotiate but then Smith had an "interested party" call other franchises - without permission from the Bears, to try and gather information on interest for Smith. THe NFL even had to issue a statement over it. Poles was likely beyond pissed at how stupid Smith was being so when an offer came up he took it. Smith was likely the difference between the 1.1 pick and 1.4 or 1.5.

Ravens got a playmaker that fit their defense better than the Bears as long as their DL can keep him clean, Bears got a haul and significantly better draft capital overall due to it. Both should be happy.

So the entire time we had Roquan Smith, we had to defend how good of a linebacker he was to everyone else. But now after signing him, the narrative has switched to how stupid we are for letting him go to replace him with another similarly expensive LB. So what is it? Is Roquan good? Or isn’t it? From my viewpoint, Edmunds, Edwards, and a 2nd are infinitely more valuable to me. And if edmunds can make a tackle with getting bodied or dragged for yards, all the better.