49ers Sign QB Sam Darnold to a One Year Deal

J-ALL-DAY

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm not sure there actually is one, tbh

I mostly agree. Unless Lance looks substantially different in training camp - mostly with timing and anticipation and accuracy. Which probably boils down to the same thing - he needs the reps to work through some things that we don't have time for him to work through here. Would not be surprised by a trade out at the end of the preseason Nate Sudfeld-style for either he or Sam Darnold. We'll probably have a young third guy in camp being this year's Brock Purdy, whether that's DTR or Haener or something similar. And Lance'll be the first on the chopping block for that trade because even though he's got more theoretical upside because he's under team contract for one more year with an option for two on the cheap, he is also the player with some possible purchasing power. But if Lance gets first team reps and looks pretty good, I think that he can earn the spot starter role and the first role off the bench in case of injury. Lance's still on the cheap. And if you are the first guy off the bench on this team, you always have a chance to impress enough when injury concerns happen to earn the job on a more permanent basis. Same for Darnold in the even more catastrophically unlikely circumstance that he uncovers something here. We can find enough room with trades and such (Armstead, Deebo) for some Geno Smith kind of money if he has a really impressive season. And it may be that they just want three guys that they don't mind starting if they can roster them all on the cheap. Honestly, would not blame the front office for that sort of thinking after last year. And not just because we got snake bit. You look at the Ravens and Dolphins. It's super easy to just become completely irrelevant and waste some proud players' time if you don't have quarterback options. 

• Like 2

Love the move. 

Darnold gets a opportunity compete and improve.

At worst he's one of the best 3rd string QBs in the league who gets to apprentice under Shanny for a year.

Lance will, at worst, be one of the best 3rd string QBs in the league.

I'm not worry about what it looks like from the outside.

Lance will have every opportunity to change the narrative this off-season.

If he can't then he was never the guy to begin with so we thank God we hit on Purdy and keep it moving.

If he makes it interesting then we'll have the most talented QB room in the entire league.

This moves let's me know we aren't leaving anything up to chance this year.

You carry three capable QBs and let the chips fall where they may.

• Like 1

Just went down a Darnold rabbit hole and saw the good with the bad…

honestly, I really like this signing. You can still see the talent and couple that with the fact that he is still very young is kinds exciting.

look what he has had in the past…..not much.

you put him in this offense with the talent that we have, we could potentially see what he could really do. Yes, he is gonna be #3, but if he can digest this offense, I really think he could shine if it came down to it.

he ain’t Josh Johnson, so there is that

• Like 4

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Like I said, Darnold is essentially harmless in the big picture. Good soldier that will do what he has to do. 

I would have preferred a mid round pick to develop. Unless they are truly out on lance. I don’t think we can be scared of another year of relying on a third string QB. That just doesn’t happen. I’d rather have that money for something else. 

11 minutes ago, straighthate said:

I would have preferred a mid round pick to develop. Unless they are truly out on lance. I don’t think we can be scared of another year of relying on a third string QB. That just doesn’t happen. I’d rather have that money for something else. 

With relative unknowns in Purdy and Lance both, I'd rather be prepared with a good vet than a mid round rookie. I'd rather find another 7th/udfa QB to stash on the PS who could conceivably take that 3rd QB role next year instead

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, straighthate said:

With relative unknowns in Purdy and Lance both, I'd rather be prepared with a good vet than a mid round rookie. I'd rather find another 7th/udfa QB to stash on the PS who could conceivably take that 3rd QB role next year instead

2 hours ago, adamq said:

Excatly what I was about to say.

You saw the seasons of various playoff teams get deralied by not strengthen the 2nd and 3rd string QB spots on their respective roster.

This also insurance in case Lance doesn't show enough progress/development to be trusted as QB2. 

I can't find anything to complain about with this move...like at all. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, straighthate said:

I think that's likely still to happen. Maybe not a "mid round" pick, but I'd be somewhat surprised if they don't pick one in round 6 or 7. Maybe udfa. Has to be someone they can likely stash in the practice squad now though

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Forge said:

I think that's likely still to happen. Maybe not a "mid round" pick, but I'd be somewhat surprised if they don't pick one in round 6 or 7. Maybe udfa. Has to be someone they can likely stash in the practice squad now though

We're definitely getting a UDFA or at best, a 7th round pick QB to be on the PS. 

I've had it in my head for weeks now that we're picking up a QB, RB, and WR in the 7th round or UDFA. I don't think we take a player at these three positions any higher than maybe the 6th. 

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 1