Raiders sign S Marcus Epps (2 years, $12M, $8M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t mind Epps, he’s a solid yet unspectacular starter.  Your always going to be looking to upgrade from him longterm but he isn’t going to cost you games.  
But my issue is the contract and that next year he’s going to get paid 7M+ and it’s guaranteed enough so that you basically gotta keep him.  You don’t pay $4 to save $1.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Just want to point out he is probably better than Jabril Peppers who some people wanted.

In case you haven't caught on.... unless the FA signing is a "name" player,  DZ sucks for signing them. Spillane outplayed both Jack and Bush in Pittsburg, but everyone would have been happier signing Jack because they know the name. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

In case you haven't caught on.... unless the FA signing is a "name" player,  DZ sucks for signing them. Spillane outplayed both Jack and Bush in Pittsburg, but everyone would have been happier signing Jack because they know the name. 

We’ll that’s a hyperbole.  I don’t think anyone is hating on Spillane.  Fans are hating that we only brought in Spillane when we had 55M to spend.  
There was zero long term growth from this FA period.  We spent all that money on 1 year guys and a couple 2 year guys that were stuck with their inflated year 2 cap hits because of the dead cap.

Do you really believe this year’s FA advanced the teams progress to rebuild?

4 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

We’ll that’s a hyperbole.  I don’t think anyone is hating on Spillane.  Fans are hating that we only brought in Spillane when we had 55M to spend.  
There was zero long term growth from this FA period.  We spent all that money on 1 year guys and a couple 2 year guys that were stuck with their inflated year 2 cap hits because of the dead cap.

Do you really believe this year’s FA advanced the teams progress to rebuild?

FA is not for long term growth. The guys in FA are there for a reason. Committing long term and a ton of money on role players is how you end up paying Cory Littleton level JAGs until 2025. 

I like the short term, young with upside approach. You're not getting franchise talent in FA, you're getting role players. Build through the draft and cycle through your role players in FA. If a guy hits, you either re-sign or let someone else overpay and get a comp pick. Rinse and repeat. 

This of course only works if you build correctly through the draft. 

Phase 2  - developing your young talent who are under contract.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, big_palooka said:

As you've said though, teams don't let good players walk in free agency. So why did the Steelers let Spillane walk and then sign a similar player (Holcomb) for almost twice as much APY?

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

As you've said though, teams don't let good players walk in free agency. So why did the Steelers let Spillane walk and then sign a similar player (Holcomb) for almost twice as much APY?

Because Spillane isn’t that good. I think that’s the point BP is trying to make, no?

7 hours ago, reddevil said:

Because Spillane isn’t that good. I think that’s the point BP is trying to make, no?

Nah BP is saying he outplayed Jack but because he doesn't have a name around the league fans don’t rate him and would rather have Jack.

Edited by Dessie
  • Like 2

On 4/1/2023 at 4:43 PM, big_palooka said:

FA is not for long term growth. The guys in FA are there for a reason. Committing long term and a ton of money on role players is how you end up paying Cory Littleton level JAGs until 2025. 

I like the short term, young with upside approach. You're not getting franchise talent in FA, you're getting role players. Build through the draft and cycle through your role players in FA. If a guy hits, you either re-sign or let someone else overpay and get a comp pick. Rinse and repeat. 

This of course only works if you build correctly through the draft. 

Phase 2  - developing your young talent who are under contract.

Obviously you have to draft well to build a team.  Locking in quality starters and depth pieces to long term deals while under cheap contracts AND those players ascending throughout their deals is essential to building a team.

You talk about developing young talent…. How do you do that on 1 year deals?  If Spillane takes off, we’re stuck bidding for him and probably losing him next FA period.  And if you lose him you gotta sign someone else to replace him or spend a draft pick on.  Given who we’ve signed what are we going to net on comp picks…. At best 2-3x 6th and 7th picks…. Pathetic.

I wasn’t asking for franchise talent in FA.  I wanted a couple solid starters at positions of need.  

So your idea of a good FA period is a bunch of 1 year deals who leave and we get some day 3 comp picks for OR we have to resign the guys to bigger deals next year if they hit.  

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Obviously you have to draft well to build a team.  Locking in quality starters and depth pieces to long term deals while under cheap contracts AND those players ascending throughout their deals is essential to building a team.

You talk about developing young talent…. How do you do that on 1 year deals?  If Spillane takes off, we’re stuck bidding for him and probably losing him next FA period.  And if you lose him you gotta sign someone else to replace him or spend a draft pick on.  Given who we’ve signed what are we going to net on comp picks…. At best 2-3x 6th and 7th picks…. Pathetic.

I wasn’t asking for franchise talent in FA.  I wanted a couple solid starters at positions of need.  

So your idea of a good FA period is a bunch of 1 year deals who leave and we get some day 3 comp picks for OR we have to resign the guys to bigger deals next year if they hit.  

Spillane / Epps / Fascyon got 2 year deals and those are the three that JMD mentioned as probable starters. 

19 hours ago, Dessie said:

Nah BP is saying he outplayed Jack but because he doesn't have a name around the league fans don’t rate him and would rather have Jack.

This is what I was saying. Not saying Spillane is good, he's just a guy which is why he is a FA. Saying if the Raiders signed Jack or Bush instead, the signing would be better received by the fans because they are known names and high draft picks.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

You don't. You do that through the draft. You draft a guy to develop who can hopefully replace Spillane if he takes off. Or if he proved his value, you re-sign him if it makes sense. End of the day, he's JAG and these are replaceable. The good teams know this.  

I think the Raiders got a couple solid starters at positions of need. But they are not named named guys, so everyone has a problem with them. If it was Peppers, Jack and Love... Raider fans would be happy. Epps, Spillane and Shelley.... DZ doesn't know what he's doing, he needs to go!! 

My idea of a good FA starts with having a good roster. Not having to sign 12 guys every year to fill gaps, but instead being able target the one or two positions you need. That starts by drafting well and developing. 

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

This is what I was saying. Not saying Spillane is good, he's just a guy which is why he is a FA. Saying if the Raiders signed Jack or Bush instead, the signing would be better received by the fans because they are known names and high draft picks.  

I agree with that. I genuinely didn’t even know who he was when they announced it, lol.