Raiders sign LB Robert Spillane (2 years, $9M, $4M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Devilshark69 said:

This kid and add tranquill, maybe Campbell or sanders in the draft. I don’t know about everyone else (except BP and oaktown) but I’m so very tired of a trashy lber core. Thought Littleton and kwit would help..... negative ghostrider!! 

Our LBs have been terrible for pretty much my entire 20+ years watching the Raiders. I remember being so excited about the Rolando McClain draft pick - what a fail that was.

LB seems to be a position that sums up the entirety of our defense. We just can’t seem to ever get it right.

Edited by Nightmare
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Devilshark69 said:

This kid and add tranquill, maybe Campbell or sanders in the draft. I don’t know about everyone else (except BP and oaktown) but I’m so very tired of a trashy lber core. Thought Littleton and kwit would help..... negative ghostrider!! 

Anthony Walker would be a nice add. Raiders need a cover LB.

And yes, I've been pounding the table for a LB for as long as I can remember. In a division with KC, you need guys who can move sideline to sideline. 

Trenton Simpson in round 2 is my guy. He can play any LB spot, twitch with explosive speed. Reminds me of JOK coming out. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

And yes, I've been pounding the table for a LB for as long as I can remember. In a division with KC, you need guys who can move sideline to sideline. 

Trenton Simpson in round 2 is my guy. He can play any LB spot, twitch with explosive speed. Reminds me of JOK coming out. 

I like Simpson too. Would love an extra 2nd, should be a lot of defensive talent available. 

One of the top 3 CBs, Simpson and a guy like Keion White or Will McDonald would be nice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

I like Simpson too. Would love an extra 2nd, should be a lot of defensive talent available. 

One of the top 3 CBs, Simpson and a guy like Keion White or Will McDonald would be nice. 

Kind of what I hope happens. Trade down from 7, stack more picks in the top 100 where you are sure to get some starting talent on defense. 

But the plan is murky right now. Trading up for a qB seems negligent given how poor this roster is defensively. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I think a dream scenario for us would be Carter @ 7 and then Simpson in the 2nd. Gives us two things we've been sorely lacking in a disruptor/pressure creator in the middle of the DL and speed at LB. 

I'd like a TE/CB in the 3rd. Who does everyone like in that second group of DB's? I've always like the way Hodges-Tomlinson from TCU plays.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Our LBs have been terrible for pretty much my entire 20+ years watching the Raiders. I remember being so excited about the Rolando McClain draft pick - what a fail that was.

LB seems to be a position that sums up the entirety of our defense. We just can’t seem to ever get it right.

I think it's hard for your LB's to thrive when you always have a terrible defensive line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I think it's hard for your LB's to thrive when you always have a terrible defensive line.

100%. Doesn't help when we have guys like Ben Heeney and Miles Burris back there also.

And this guy looks like a young Hannibal Lector

Robert Spillane Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

• Like 2

LB is such a weird position in the modern NFL. 

It's hard to find an all around LB. The NFL being more of a passing league has birthed a ton of undersized athletic LBs who were great in college, but bust in the pros (Jack, Simmons, Smith, Bush, etc.). They lack instincts, are not physical and can't stack and shed blocks. They want to play more like safeties, catching tackles. This is why YPC averages are the highest they have every been in the league. 

On the other side you have guys like Perryman/Spillane who are traditional, down hill run stoppers but get exposed in coverage. 

Hard to find the athlete at LB who is not afraid to be physical in the run game and take on blockers. And who also has a read and react ability. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

LB is such a weird position in the modern NFL. 

It's hard to find an all around LB. The NFL being more of a passing league has birthed a ton of undersized athletic LBs who were great in college, but bust in the pros (Jack, Simmons, Smith, Bush, etc.). They lack instincts, are not physical and can't stack and shed blocks. They want to play more like safeties, catching tackles. This is why YPC averages are the highest they have every been in the league. 

On the other side you have guys like Perryman/Spillane who are traditional, down hill run stoppers but get exposed in coverage. 

Hard to find the athlete at LB who is not afraid to be physical in the run game and take on blockers. And who also has a read and react ability. 

yup, as the nfl and Ds start to become more and more focused on stopping the pass, building a strong run game will become tougher and tougher to stop. 
which leads to time of control and less weather controlled football. 

Id love to build a powerhouse run O. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 8:55 AM, CaliforniaKid7 said:

I think a dream scenario for us would be Carter @ 7 and then Simpson in the 2nd. Gives us two things we've been sorely lacking in a disruptor/pressure creator in the middle of the DL and speed at LB. 

I'd like a TE/CB in the 3rd. Who does everyone like in that second group of DB's? I've always like the way Hodges-Tomlinson from TCU plays.

Jalen Carter at #7 and Drew Sanders at #38 would be a dream. 

Hodges-Tomlinson is good but he's super small, as we've seen with Amik it's tough for little DBs to succeed. I like Eli Ricks and Darius Rush.