Commanders sign QB Jacoby Brissett

MikeT14

This is the first off-season move I don't like. Brissett is what he is at this point in his career and doesn't have any upside. It's the typical short term view Rivera has had all throughout his tenure. Why not bring in a young guy with at least some upside like Gardner Minshew or Drew Lock? Instead we wasted a decent amount of cap space on Brissett on a career 18W-30L guy. 

4 minutes ago, Ghostnote said:

This is a quality signing in Rivera's mind considering Brissett is an accomplished veteran who played well in Cleveland in 2022. And if Howell craps the bed and box frame, Brisett is a capable option. It's enough to not make Howell comfortable.

If it serves as just more motivation for Howell to work, then that's great.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

If it serves as just more motivation for Howell to work, then that's great.

Ironically people were just recently saying getting rid of Heinicke is good because having him present is too much pressure for Howell and makes for a dangerous qb controversy dynamic.  

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I still don't really understand this move as opposed to just bringing Heinicke back? Brissett's numbers aren't even that much better. Its just a weird acquisition to me and to pay more. Just seems odd I guess. 

It seems like we tried at least and wanted to. Local beats said as much. Ultimately it was TH's decision. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 8:37 PM, taylor made said:

This is the first off-season move I don't like. Brissett is what he is at this point in his career and doesn't have any upside. It's the typical short term view Rivera has had all throughout his tenure. Why not bring in a young guy with at least some upside like Gardner Minshew or Drew Lock? Instead we wasted a decent amount of cap space on Brissett on a career 18W-30L guy. 

I see what you’re saying, I also would rather have seen a guy like Minshew but, I have no problem with Brissett. If he was our QB last year we probably make the playoffs.

His record doesn't mean anything to me. Outside of him playing in NE, he's played on some awful team's.

I realize highlight films make Ryan Leaf ( who-look him up , ha ! ) look like the GOAT but he sure seems able to make all the throws. Deep throws, touch, fairly quick release and a better runner than I knew. We'll see !! highlihts from last year - hope it opens !

https://t.co/RADdvEWgY5

I think you can find it in the story . 

Edited by RSkinGM

11 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I realize highlight films make Ryan Leaf ( who-look him up , ha ! ) look like the GOAT but he sure seems able to make all the throws. Deep throws, touch, fairly quick release and a better runner than I knew. We'll see !! highlihts from last year - hope it opens !

https://t.co/RADdvEWgY5

I think you can find it in the story . 

I saw a graphic on Twitter that showed Brisett was really good throwing to one side of the field - probably where Amari Cooper was - but wasn’t good to the other side. Same with deep throws.

I think the Commanders should trade for Lamar Jackson. It would keep him playing in the metro area but with a different team. He could very well be the long-term solution at QB the Commanders have been trying to find for 30 years.

7 minutes ago, pf9 said:

I think the Commanders should trade for Lamar Jackson. It would keep him playing in the metro area but with a different team. He could very well be the long-term solution at QB the Commanders have been trying to find for 30 years.

Or he'll immediately get hurt and we'll be on the hook for the next 5-6 years for $200M worth of guaranteed money. And it will happen that way. He will absolutely break his leg in some horrible way at FedEx Field. So no, I'll pass. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 10:37 AM, lavar703 said:

I still don't really understand this move as opposed to just bringing Heinicke back? Brissett's numbers aren't even that much better. Its just a weird acquisition to me and to pay more. Just seems odd I guess. 

If Eric Bs system is predicated in speed and deep threat - Taylor prolly not a fit right?