49ers sign CB Isaiah Oliver (2 yrs)

Forge

31 minutes ago, Ataal said:

Man, it's so weird to see the differing opinions on guys depending on where you look.  Here on this forum, there are mostly positive things to say about this guy.  But, if you scope out the Falcons' Facebook groups surrounding him, most people are saying he can't tackle to save his life because he only does shoulder hits and doesn't wrap up.

I always try to grab information from multiple places.  It just cracks me up how it's generally Facebook groups that have wildly differing opinions.  lol

Facebook is not somewhere I would go for any sports information. I got rid of Facebook a couple years back and I am glad I did. I don't miss it in the least. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Facebook is not somewhere I would go for any sports information. I got rid of Facebook a couple years back and I am glad I did. I don't miss it in the least. 

The stuff just shows up in my feed and I find it interesting.  Definitely not getting rid of Facebook.  It's the only way I keep in contact with literally everyone I know.  lol  

1 hour ago, Ataal said:

The stuff just shows up in my feed and I find it interesting.  Definitely not getting rid of Facebook.  It's the only way I keep in contact with literally everyone I know.  lol  

That’s fair. I know a lot of people that get enjoyment out of it. To me it just seemed like a somewhat toxic place even among family and friends, so I gave it the boot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ataal said:

if you scope out the Falcons' Facebook groups surrounding him, most people are saying he can't tackle to save his life because he only does shoulder hits and doesn't wrap up.

We wouldn't sign him if we didn't think he could tackle. It is VERY important to this regime. Look at womack, he couldn't see the field and now we signed Oliver to play nickel because they don't think he can tackle. 

To be fair about Womack, I'm sure tackling the guys we have on offense all offseason does him no favors with regards to giving the staff confidence he can tackle. Probably good experience overall though. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 4:00 PM, N4L said:

We wouldn't sign him if we didn't think he could tackle. It is VERY important to this regime. Look at womack, he couldn't see the field and now we signed Oliver to play nickel because they don't think he can tackle. 

To be fair about Womack, I'm sure tackling the guys we have on offense all offseason does him no favors with regards to giving the staff confidence he can tackle. Probably good experience overall though. 

I’m 90% sure Oliver is a banger dude. 

On 3/17/2023 at 6:00 PM, N4L said:

I just really hope Womack is not another DJ Reed situation. It looks like Womack can cover and he seems to be a willing tackler. I just hope they don't give him the boot in a year or two and then he ends up being a quality nickel somewhere else. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I just really hope Womack is not another DJ Reed situation. It looks like Womack can cover and he seems to be a willing tackler. I just hope they don't give him the boot in a year or two and then he ends up being a quality nickel somewhere else. 

I get wanting run support - you are running a one gap system where no one can be a liability - but all of the limited data that we have on Womack isn't just that he'd be able to hang as an NFL cover guy, but that he might be legitimately special in that regard. I hope that he at the very least gets a good enough run here that we could trade him for an actual asset of some kind if he still isn't our cup of tea.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JIllg said:

I get wanting run support - you are running a one gap system where no one can be a liability - but all of the limited data that we have on Womack isn't just that he'd be able to hang as an NFL cover guy, but that he might be legitimately special in that regard. I hope that he at the very least gets a good enough run here that we could trade him for an actual asset of some kind if he still isn't our cup of tea.

And the bolded is what it comes down to.

Like, I absolutely get it. It's imperative that your niceklback be able to function in & around the box. Must be able to at least keep contain or impede the progress of RBs so the rest of the troops can rally to the ball when its warranted. BUT your primary responsibility is still defending some the best WRs in the league w/o much help or support and if Womack excels at just that, we HAVE to find a way to get him & keep him on the field. 

• Like 1