2023 Commanders OTAs, Minicamp & Training Camp

turtle28

I think Hudson & Milo Eifler are our 4th and 5th LBs. Barton, Jamin & Mayo are our top 3. But, depending on what we need a LB for, Hudson could play over Mayo. Mayo is purely a Mike/rn stuffer. Hudson & Eifler are more WLBs/coverage guys & special teams aces.

https://t.co/FTPPw1kH1v 

21. Washington Commanders

2022 rank: 22 | 2021 rank: 24

Where would Terry McLaurin rank among NFL wide receivers with even average quarterback play? His degree of difficulty seems to rise with each passing season, as he'll jump from Carson Wentz and Taylor Heinicke last season to a 2023 room likely to be led by 2022 fifth-round pick Sam Howell.

I believe McLaurin is a top-10 receiver, and he should get more help with a leap from Jahan Dotson. Last year's first-round pick flashed early in the season before being sidelined for five weeks by an hamstring injury. When Dotson was restored into a more regular role over the final month of the season, he produced a line that would prorate over a 17-game season to 71 catches for 1,170 yards and 10 touchdowns. He averaged 2.6 yards per route run over that five-game stretch, which ranked seventh in the league. If he can even approach that sort of efficiency over a full season, the Commanders would have one of the best wideout duos in football.

Outside of those players, there's not much to love in Washington. Curtis Samuel was healthy a year ago, but his gadget style of play has made him one of the league's least efficient receivers. Dyami Brown had his role in the lineup usurped by Dotson. Tight end Logan Thomas, who turns 32 this summer, continued to struggle with injuries and had an anonymous season.

Running back is a place for possible growth, but not with Antonio Gibson, who has grown less efficient as a runner across his three NFL campaigns. The good news is Gibson's fumble woes faded into memory after he coughed the ball up six times in 2021. His best role is still likely as a third-down back, and it's possible new offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy installs the college wideout in the Jerick McKinnon spot in Washington's offense. Brian Robinson will also hope to improve after a middling rookie season, although the former third-round pick has an obvious excuse after being shot in an attempted robbery just before the year began.

If Dotson or Robinson emerge as an above-average starter in 2023, the Commanders should push above the league-average mark.

9 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I feel that Curtis Samuel’s ability and versatility as a playmaker gets underappreciated.

He had 102 touches last year (64 recs, 38 rushes) 843 yds and for 5 TDs.

I think Bieniemy is going to find a lot of creative ways to use Samuel this year. I think Samuel should be used in the  Jerick McKinnon role for our offense.

I also think that Turner misused Gibson. I think Bieniemy will get him the ball more & in space more, on outside zone/off tackle run plays, screen plays, receptions from the slot and out of backfield. 

Edited by turtle28

4 Commanders players whose stock is soaring ahead of 2023 training camp

https://riggosrag.com/posts/4-commanders-players-stock-soaring-ahead-2023-training-camp/4?utm_campaign=FanSided+Daily&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email&sc=76406316b2034ef7cc9f40f04f8b84e0792debe356e0766e53610d69579d01e8

1. Chris Paul - He’s been impressing Rivera & Bieniemy and pushing Saahdiq Charles for the starting LG spot.

Saahdiq Charles is being penciled in as the starting left guard on the Washington Commanders' revamped offensive line, but head coach Ron Rivera has given Chris Paul a confidence boost by claiming that he isn't that far behind after early workouts. Something that comes relatively out of the blue given how little the former seventh-rounder was involved as a rookie.”

2. Dyami Brown - Obviously stuck behind Terry, Jahan & Samuel but he's had a good offseason and his been aided by his chemistry with Sam Howell which was developed in the 2 years they played together in college.

“... having previous chemistry with Howell helps. The pair were a revelation together during their time at North Carolina and if they can bring this to the pros, it's something that won't go unnoticed by Bieniemy.

Brown's size, physicality, and ability to stretch the field offer something a little bit different. There should also be plenty of space for the wideout to work considering the more established figures that'll generate more attention from opposing coverages.”

3. Khaleke Hudson - With Jamin Davis being out after recovering from a knee procedure it's allowed Hudson to step into the starting WLB spot this spring and he has impressed with his coverage as a college slot CB & SS.

No player has perhaps helped themselves more so far this offseason than Khaleke Hudson. The former fifth-round selection caught the eye during his one and only start last season against the Dallas Cowboys in Week 18 and has clearly taken on that confidence in the pursuit of similar involvement next time around.

This sentiment was echoed by John Keim of ESPN, who named Hudson as his surprise standout from early workouts. The respected writer also indicated that his production has lessened the urgency for Washington when it comes to strengthening this position group.

"Hudson, a backup/special-teamer in his first three seasons, worked with the starters during the spring in part because Jamin Davis was recovering from offseason knee surgery and free agent signee Cody Barton was working with the backups as he learned the defense. Hudson impressed the coaches, however, building on a successful start in the regular-season finale. He played fast this spring -- as he did in the finale against Dallas. While Washington entered the offseason wanting to improve its linebacker depth, Hudson's one-game performance, as well as this spring, put that quest on hold."

4. Cole Turner - He has shown off his large catch radius at 6’6, 240 pounds and has gotten good separation this spring proving once again that he could make an impact if given a chance this season.

the gradual emergence of Cole Turner throughout early workouts is something that could offer a different dynamic when the regular season arrives.

Turner was an intriguing mid-round selection in 2022 whose time in the league was frustrated by injury early on. But based on his performance levels to date, the former Nevada star looks healthy and ready to make up for some lost time.

His assured hands, ability to create separation, and improved route running have all been noteworthy reasons for encouragement. We'll find out more about what Turner could potentially bring when targets come his way during the preseason, but the fifth-rounder is another that's trending up at the right time.”

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I think if I had to pick one player to take a big leap from the previous year, it would be Turner too, so good to see that. 

Same, Hudson will remain mostly a special teams guy, and Chris Paul & Dyami Brown will remain backups too.

With the age of Logan Thomas & Bates being mostly just a blocking TE, Cole Turner has a real chance to get meaningful snaps at TE & make the leap to being a starting quality TE.

I was kind of surprised there wasn't any uproar that they cancelled a day of mandatory OTA's since all of the workouts in late May and early June matter so much. Especially since we lost 2 days of OTA's from last years excessive contact infraction. 

1 hour ago, Scott Land said:

I was kind of surprised there wasn't any uproar that they cancelled a day of mandatory OTA's since all of the workouts in late May and early June matter so much. Especially since we lost 2 days of OTA's from last years excessive contact infraction. 

well they did have meetings and a light workout . They said they wanted to avoid any injuries. 

• Like 1