2023 Commanders OTAs, Minicamp & Training Camp

turtle28

Commanders HC Ron Rivera said Antonio Gibson could be a "matchup nightmare for the opponent" in the team's new offense.

The drumbeat continues to grow louder for Gibson, who appears to be in good favor with new offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy. Gibson is arguably the most versatile back on Washington's roster and has been utilized heavily in the screen game at OTAs and minicamp per The Athletic's Ben Standig. Rivera added, "Eric wants to make sure (Antonio) gets as many opportunities right now to show us what he's capable of because I think that'll be a big part of the game planning." Gibson's background as a receiver during his days at Memphis led many to believe he would see receiving work early in his career. While he's managed 124 receptions through his first three seasons, Gibson was always stuck in the shadow of J.D. McKissic, who is currently a free agent. As the hype around Gibson continues to grow, it's possible he turns into a high-end RB2 for fantasy if Bieniemy can deploy him in ways the previous offensive coordinator did not.

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/60021/antonio-gibson

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Someone called this as he's a better as starting RB in a Reid/Bieniemy offense which is more zone runs, off-tackle runs & using the screen game & option routes for the running backs as an extension of the run game. I think Gibby going to have a huge year in Bieniemy’s offense while Bob will be the short yardage back & get like 10 carries a game to give Gibby a rest.

“For the past three offseasons, fans and analysts have said the Washington Commanders needed to do more at linebacker. After all, the head coach [Ron Rivera] and defensive coordinator [Jack Del Rio] were outstanding NFL linebackers.

Outside of selecting Jamin Davis in the first round of the 2021 NFL draft, Washington has mostly relied on lower-round picks, hybrid players and low-cost veterans. The results have been mixed. Davis struggled badly as a rookie but did take a step forward in 2022. While he is still not where the Commanders want him to be, his growth was an encouraging development last season.

Davis has been slowed this spring after having surgery this offseason. While it isn’t believed to be a long-term issue, it opened the door for fourth-year linebacker Khaleke Hudson to assume a larger role throughout OTAs and minicamp.

Hudson has delivered.

According to former Washington tight end and current analyst Logan Paulsen, Hudson has looked great this offseason.

“The guy that stood out to me the most was Khaleke Hudson,” Paulsen said on his “Take Command” podcast with Craig Hoffman. “Every day. Like, he would just do something where you’re like, ‘Who’s that? Oh, that’s 47. That’s a great blitz. Oh, he snuffed out that screen. That’s 47. Who was in man coverage on that receiver in the slot? Oh, that’s Khaleke.'”

“He looks great,” Paulsen continued. “If he keeps playing this way, I don’t think there’s a lot of need to be super worried about the linebacker group. I forget how sneaky good of an athlete he is. He’s very twitchy; he’s good in space.”

In today’s pass-heavy NFL, Hudson’s skills are essential. The Commanders have often struggled to cover tight ends, something that improved in 2022. Hudson started the final game against the Cowboys and looked outstanding. He has drawn praise from Rivera and Del Rio for his performance. Del Rio has continued praising Hudson throughout the offseason.

Paulsen also complimented newcomer Cody Barton, who is replacing Cole Holcomb at mike linebacker. However, he made it clear that Hudson has been the linebacker who has most caught his attention.”

• Like 1

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

“For the past three offseasons, fans and analysts have said the Washington Commanders needed to do more at linebacker. After all, the head coach [Ron Rivera] and defensive coordinator [Jack Del Rio] were outstanding NFL linebackers.

Outside of selecting Jamin Davis in the first round of the 2021 NFL draft, Washington has mostly relied on lower-round picks, hybrid players and low-cost veterans. The results have been mixed. Davis struggled badly as a rookie but did take a step forward in 2022. While he is still not where the Commanders want him to be, his growth was an encouraging development last season.

Davis has been slowed this spring after having surgery this offseason. While it isn’t believed to be a long-term issue, it opened the door for fourth-year linebacker Khaleke Hudson to assume a larger role throughout OTAs and minicamp.

Hudson has delivered.

According to former Washington tight end and current analyst Logan Paulsen, Hudson has looked great this offseason.

“The guy that stood out to me the most was Khaleke Hudson,” Paulsen said on his “Take Command” podcast with Craig Hoffman. “Every day. Like, he would just do something where you’re like, ‘Who’s that? Oh, that’s 47. That’s a great blitz. Oh, he snuffed out that screen. That’s 47. Who was in man coverage on that receiver in the slot? Oh, that’s Khaleke.'”

“He looks great,” Paulsen continued. “If he keeps playing this way, I don’t think there’s a lot of need to be super worried about the linebacker group. I forget how sneaky good of an athlete he is. He’s very twitchy; he’s good in space.”

In today’s pass-heavy NFL, Hudson’s skills are essential. The Commanders have often struggled to cover tight ends, something that improved in 2022. Hudson started the final game against the Cowboys and looked outstanding. He has drawn praise from Rivera and Del Rio for his performance. Del Rio has continued praising Hudson throughout the offseason.

Paulsen also complimented newcomer Cody Barton, who is replacing Cole Holcomb at mike linebacker. However, he made it clear that Hudson has been the linebacker who has most caught his attention.”

Hudson -- didn't we cut him and bring him back. Now he's lights out ? Really ?

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2022/08/ex-michigan-lb-cut-by-washington-commanders.html

Edited by RSkinGM

10 minutes ago, daskins said:

Ill play - Pretty sure we drafted Keenan McCardell and cut him after just one year.

Yes- Excellent - I was trying to think of another !! We might be off track though. Looking for guys we cut and brought back but I like throwing in the bad cuts and trades  ! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Hudson -- didn't we cut him and bring him back. Now he's lights out ? Really ?

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2022/08/ex-michigan-lb-cut-by-washington-commanders.html

He spent the beginning of last year on the practice squad & then was promoted when Holcomb was hurt I think or when Eifler was hurt.

As the write up states, he’s not this huge run defender, but he’s the size of Landon Collins, played S & slot CB a lot in college so he can cover. 

Sounds like with Jamin out Hudson is getting an opportunity and is looking good as a weak side LB. That’s promising. I thought he played pretty well the end of 2020 when KPL & other LBs got hurt in December.

5 hours ago, offbyone said:

I feel like we hear this every year about Hudson and then he disappears from the conversation.  It would be incredible if he lit it up at a position of major need.  But I do remember one year when Troy Apke was the best player in camp :)

We hear it probably bc he performs well in training camp/preseason but then when the season starts he’s the 4th or 5th Lb & just a special teams guy so we never see him play.

I mean we only play 2 LBs almost all game, sometimes only play 1 LB so guys like Hudson don’t see defensive snaps bc he’s behind Jamin.

Edited by turtle28