2023 Commanders OTAs, Minicamp & Training Camp

turtle28

12 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It’s at a very, very odd place out in the middle of nowhere, though I suspect some of the immediate area has popped up since the team has been there.  It also isn’t as secure as you would think an NFL team’s facility would be, and I’m not talking about secure from just Bill Belichick and prying cameras.  

Yup. It USED to be out away from everything. Over the last 20+ years all of that grew up around the facility. You're right about security. The practice bubble can be hit from Loudoun County Parkway if someone has a firearm (or air rifle), etc... Similarly the cross street is Gloucester Pkwy (which comes from Rte 28). That runs right next to the practice field. The whole thing is WAYYYYY too close to the nearby roads, now. Which is why I suggested they move it westward toward Leesburg and/or a bit beyond it to get the acreage they'd need to be truly secure again. Or simply move it a bit south from where it is. There's literally nothing north of the 1787 Golf club/course and they could move the facility further south (look at a map and you'll see how big of open space there is there)

But my son loves looking at the bubble at night (we travel by there A LOT on trips to an from my daughter's school and my son's daycare and on the way to Brambleton for my daughter's soccer games/practices). Because at night the whole bubble is lit up during the season. And for much of the offseason it's lit up at night as well. There have only been a handful of times we've passed it after dark where no one has been inside it.

The bubble is great and I want to take my kids on a tour of the facility. I missed the STH thing though. My kids don't believe I did a mock NFL combine thing there about 8 years ago. We got a tour of everything (bubble, inside the building, practice field, etc...) when I did my thing back then.

• Like 3

The beauty of Juste is he’s the size of a safety. He’s 6’3, 200. If he’s playing the slot you shouldn’t have to take him off the field at that size. He could play Buffalo nickel & be our slot corner.

Edited by turtle28

7 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Looking forward to seeing Cody Barton play. He has some good size to him 6’2” 240. I think he’s going to be a positive surprise at LB. Between him and Jamin, I think they’ll be a nice combination. 

I think so too, he was really solid last year in Seattle. He was the leader of that D, took over for Bobby Wagner.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I still think they look stupid for not picking up the 5th-year option. I think ultimately it hurts this team pretty badly in the end. 

Honest question - Do you think Sweat and Young were ever BOTH getting paid by us? I don't see how this hurts us at all. In fact it only reduces the amount we have tied up in GTD dollars. Chase has to understand that he is waaaaay behind in terms of earning a 2nd contract, so much so that it was in the teams best interest to decline his 5th year option. Sweat easily has the upper-hand with his availability and production so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

Honest question - Do you think Sweat and Young were ever BOTH getting paid by us? I don't see how this hurts us at all. In fact it only reduces the amount we have tied up in GTD dollars. Chase has to understand that he is waaaaay behind in terms of earning a 2nd contract, so much so that it was in the teams best interest to decline his 5th year option. Sweat easily has the upper-hand with his availability and production so far.

Agree 100% with all of this. 

Sweat - while he might not have the ceiling that some see in Chase, has been the better pro so far.

• Like 2