Why did _________ bust?

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Cooper wasn't even the only generational OG in that draft to bust. Chance Warmack was also drafted top 10 and also stunk something awful. 

Good call.   Forgot about him.

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What about CB Vernon Hargreaves? I remember people being obsessed with him coming out.

I liked him a lot that year too.  But mostly I remember thinking people were crazy to think that there was even a chance he was better than Jalen Ramsey.

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Why did Dorial Green Beckham bust?

Because he was drafted solely on his freshman season.  I think people knew he was a roll of the dice when he was selected.

4 hours ago, john305 said:

Robert Gallery. T-Rex arms was the reason many said he busted at LT but I always wondered if there was more to it.

Short arms, slow feet. This was back when the gap in speed between a conference like the Big 10 and SEC or Pac 10 was pretty large. He got used to blocking Linebackers who moved like linemen as opposed to Lineman sized guys who moved like linebackers. He kicked inside to guard and was fairly decent IIRC. If he was the 42nd overall pick instead of the 2nd, you'd say he had a solid career.

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

For once Al didn't take the flashy weapon (Larry Fitzgerald) and opted to go the safe route on OL.... and he's a historical bust. FFS. Gallery turned out to be a solid-ish Guard but he was supposed to be an elite LT for 12+ years man.

A couple of things. This was when Al Davis was transitioning from "I prefer speed" to "I literally want speed and nothing else". Second, I've never understood why OL are always thought of as "safe picks", like they can most definitely bust as well. And a bad OL can ruin a game for you much more than a bad WR or RB can (see 2021 Week 18)

• Like 2

Josh Rosen busted because he was soft and his only above-average quality was his decision-making, which was exhibited against a very weak Pac-12 at the time.

Sam Darnold busted because he was infinitely too turnover prone against mediocre college defenses, and that was only going to be exemplified against NFL teams who can make you see ghosts.

I wasn't on this website at the time, but I wish I was. I absolutely HATED those guys as prospects and never understood the hype. Granted I also really liked Dwayne Haskins and Isaiah Simmons so it evens out.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Charles Rogers ??

Injuries derailed him nearly immediately - then substance abuse took over as he got hooked on pain pills and other substances following his broken collarbone. Rogers had a few rumors of substance issues in college, and that came home to roost when you introduced painkillers into the mix.

No telling whether or not he’d succeed if these things didn’t happen… but who knows?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Glenn Dorsey 

I’m legitimately interested in this one, because I saw him as Warren Sapp reincarnated at LSU. Ndamukong Suh turned into the guy I thought Glenn Dorsey was going to be. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What about CB Vernon Hargreaves? I remember people being obsessed with him coming out.

Wasn’t very quick or fast vs NFL WRs, was too grabby and drew a ton of flags, couldn’t create turnovers and got lost in his own zone assignments at times. Couldn’t really do well on ST, was a below average depth CB overall.