Why did _________ bust?

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Why did Solomon Thomas bust?

I always thought he had no real elite traits and said as much at the time. He was an EDGE/DT tweener with little to no outside rush ability, but he tested off of the charts. I never saw the hype on film personally.

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:
12 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Why did Solomon Thomas bust?

I always thought he had no real elite traits and said as much at the time. He was an EDGE/DT tweener with little to no outside rush ability, but he tested off of the charts. I never saw the hype on film personally.

I could be completely wrong, but I’m of the belief that Tyree Wilson is the exact same guy. Not fast/explosive enough for an edge role, not strong/stout enough for an interior role. His film shows some better technique and instinct/IQ, but his playing athleticism is very substandard for a top tier guy. 

• Like 1

Just now, ET80 said:

I could be completely wrong, but I’m of the belief that Tyree Wilson is the exact same guy. Not fast/explosive enough for an edge role, not strong/stout enough for an interior role. His film shows some better technique and instinct/IQ, but his playing athleticism is very substandard for a top tier guy. 

I feel identically on Wilson. I'd actually have felt better about him and Thomas if they were drafted in the mid to late first as 3-4 DE or a 4-3 5 Tech type guy. Probably decent floor, maybe gives you some interior pass rush ability if you kick him inside on third downs...but I don't see it at all IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

From the next year, a player I thought was super safe that famously busted hard was Justin Gilbert.  I thought he had it all at CB.

Justin Gilbert now plays for my city's arena football league team in Iowa. What a fall from grace.

Edited by AP_allday2869

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

This 100%. He was neither fast enough for the edge nor strong enough for the middle. The Niners tried beefing him up for the inside and when that failed, they slimmed him down for the edge again but he just couldn't cut it. 

I think things MIGHT have been different if we had the DL talent we have now and Kris Kocurek coaching the line when Thomas was here, but there are no guarantees. 

It honestly sucked that he busted so hard because he's an A+++ guy and extremely easy to root for. 

Rueben Foster on the other hand...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

This 100%. He was neither fast enough for the edge nor strong enough for the middle. The Niners tried beefing him up for the inside and when that failed, they slimmed him down for the edge again but he just couldn't cut it. 

I think things MIGHT have been different if we had the DL talent we have now and Kris Kocurek coaching the line when Thomas was here, but there are no guarantees. 

It honestly sucked that he busted so hard because he's an A+++ guy and extremely easy to root for. 

Rueben Foster on the other hand...

Foster was one of my favorite ILB prospects ever.  Then the offseason started.

• Like 1

Kevin White. Injuries and mental. I went back and watched his highlights to compare and contrast with Quentin Johnston and he looked infinitely better to me, he did all the things Johnston should be able to do with his size but doesn’t. 

7 minutes ago, john305 said:

Robert Gallery. T-Rex arms was the reason many said he busted at LT but I always wondered if there was more to it.

For once Al didn't take the flashy weapon (Larry Fitzgerald) and opted to go the safe route on OL.... and he's a historical bust. FFS. Gallery turned out to be a solid-ish Guard but he was supposed to be an elite LT for 12+ years man.

• Like 1