TABT - HuskieBear Edition

Ty21

My advice for youth sports is just enjoy it.  It goes by really fast.   First middle school kids I ever coached are all in their 30s now.   You build relationships and friendships for life with the kids and their parents.  Those connections are very beneficial.  Just treat it as entertainment and character development.  

Ignore the psycho parents as best you can.  Try not to be one.  

For some perspective, I coached 1000s of kids from 9 to 14 on and off for around 20 years,  a lot of really great athletes in that time, and none of them have gone pro to date in anything.   Only a handful played football in college and none for a major program.  Some few played baseball in college. 

In last decade or so in our entire county, which is pretty populated, around 311k, we had R. Tonyan and Bryan Bulaga.   That was it.    A lot of really big kids.  A lot of really fast kids.   They just didn't make it for whatever reason.   Competition is fierce at elite levels and when numbers are in millions.  

Not saying don't try for a dream, but try to be realistic.   Remember money spent on trainers and whatever can be redirected in savings for college, there is a time value to invested money.    Reminder also that outside football and basketball most scholarships are partial and nearly all sports glory is fleeting.

• Like 2

Pros of being a contractor by trade

-can do repairs yourself

-buddy discounts to have work signed off by electricians

- if there is any equipment you need you know someone who will loan it for cheap

-need $200? Someone is always needing a hand.

Negatives

-wife volunteers you to spend your entire memorial day weekend doing several grand worth of work for free for her mother. Happy belated mother's day, dear mother-in-law   🫡 /s

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

-can do repairs yourself

- if there is any equipment you need you know someone who will loan it for cheap

Negatives

-wife volunteers you to spend your entire memorial day weekend doing several grand worth of work for free for her mother. Happy belated mother's day, dear mother-in-law   🫡 /s

I love that my brother became a journeyman electrician at the age of 40. I get so much free work done out on my acarege (even though im fully capable doing any electrical work). But he has over 50 trucks parked on my property, so i deserve it lol.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

-can do repairs yourself

Negatives

This is why I don’t tell anyone about my construction life and I also don’t offer up help. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

This is why I don’t tell anyone about my construction life and I also don’t offer up help. 

To be fair I met my wife because I was working with my big brother, who was working at her mother's house.

I've never worked a job that cost me more. 😆

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

And it's clearly still taking payments!

Reporter - "Sugashane, how do you view your investment in marriage?"

Me - "Well, it has been more fruitful than investing in Blockbuster."

Reporter looks at the financial summary - "Are you sure about that?"

Me - crying-laughing.gif

On 5/31/2023 at 7:28 AM, Sugashane said:

Reporter - "Sugashane, how do you view your investment in marriage?"

Me - "Well, it has been more fruitful than investing in Blockbuster."

Reporter looks at the financial summary - "Are you sure about that?"

Me - crying-laughing.gif

My man, there are some sunk costs you just don't want to dig into. The other week my wife joined me at work for tacos, and I'd just been looking at our house books and asked her how it was possible to buy that much gardening dirt from so many places, on so many different days all in one spring, suggesting that the size of our lot could not possibly contain that much new dirt without some sort of space time weirdness going on. Well, she stretched and kinda looked at my wall of windsurf stuff and said "Hey is that a new foil? How much gear do you have anyway?" and all of a sudden my interest in the dirt went away.  Helps to think of these things as investments in peace. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

My man, there are some sunk costs you just don't want to dig into. The other week my wife joined me at work for tacos, and I'd just been looking at our house books and asked her how it was possible to buy that much gardening dirt from so many places, on so many different days all in one spring, suggesting that the size of our lot could not possibly contain that much new dirt without some sort of space time weirdness going on. Well, she stretched and kinda looked at my wall of windsurf stuff and said "Hey is that a new foil? How much gear do you have anyway?" and all of a sudden my interest in the dirt went away.  Helps to think of these things as investments in peace. 

Windsurf?  Lake Michigan?  Isn’t water really cold? 

Think you get come home to some pretty landscaping.

I got through two of most stressful closings of my career on Tue.  I was also depending on a third closing I was not involved in.  Everyone needed money from one deal for another.

Just about everything that could go wrong looked like it was going to right to last minute and through a sequence of events by several people it was looking like an old woman and her pets were going to end up with no place to stay and also no money to stay in a hotel until problems got solved and no place to put all her belongings.  

It all ended up working out though.

🙏🙏🙏 answered again.  

• Like 3

So yesterday I put in my notice to my boss and her boss that after my 12 month contract was up I would be immediately leaving. We were doing a performance review and things were going well but they pushed the idea of me taking over a case management role again after I have rejected the offer at least 4 separate times. I've been thinking of leaving for a while but this last weekend I really knew I didn't want to stay. Probably not the best timing, I think my review was also my boss's review from her boss.

I love psychology but would never recommend working in the mental health sector anymore (unless you have your own practice, or can do your own billing at least). You can make more as a server at a run of the mill franchise than most roles demanding a BA, BS, or masters.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

So yesterday I put in my notice to my boss and her boss that after my 12 month contract was up I would be immediately leaving. We were doing a performance review and things were going well but they pushed the idea of me taking over a case management role again after I have rejected the offer at least 4 separate times. I've been thinking of leaving for a while but this last weekend I really knew I didn't want to stay. Probably not the best timing, I think my review was also my boss's review from her boss.

I love psychology but would never recommend working in the mental health sector anymore (unless you have your own practice, or can do your own billing at least). You can make more as a server at a run of the mill franchise than most roles demanding a BA, BS, or masters.

I had a similar problem at my old job.  They really wanted me to do divorces.  When I was hired I said I don’t do divorces.  I have a moral problem with many types of U.S. divorces and our system.  And it also makes me sad and I don’t want to be sad at my job all the time.  Don’t take that wrong way.  Many of my loved ones and friends are divorced and I love them still. 

But it is such a huge money maker that they wanted it so they would bring it up again from time to time.  

Divorcé attorney’s have a lot of work available these days.  There is bank to be made there.  But I don’t want it.  

If I was willing to do divorces I would still be at my old job and making a lot of money.  

But instead I started my own firm and am doing well enough and growing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I had a similar problem at my old job.  They really wanted me to do divorces.  When I was hired I said I don’t do divorces.  I have a moral problem with many types of U.S. divorces and our system.  And it also makes me sad and I don’t want to be sad at my job all the time.  Don’t take that wrong way.  Many of my loved ones and friends are divorced and I love them still. 

No I completely get it. I'm in large part the same way with kids. Kids are innocent (at least generally, life circumstances are thrown at them and not caused by their own actions) and seeing how many of them are in terrible environments makes me sick to my stomach. Literally. Even shows like Criminal Minds and such make my stomach drop when it mentions a kid is murdered, even though I know it is fake. Makes it hard to enjoy a lot of shows/movies. So when I am working with a kid that has trauma it sticks with me for the whole day. I've expressed this before and that is one reason I was getting so annoyed that they kept pushing it. 

But it is such a huge money maker that they wanted it so they would bring it up again from time to time.  

Divorcé attorney’s have a lot of work available these days.  There is bank to be made there.  But I don’t want it.  

Yep. I could have went to school for counseling, I could have pursued several jobs that would have made more money, but I took this job as a chance to get into the door and only deal with initial crisis. There was no follow up on my part and I was going to be overnights before they took that shift away, so 95% of my interactions were with adults before. If I would have known that I'd be switched to the am shift and most of my interactions would be students I would have never taken the job to begin with.

If I was willing to do divorces I would still be at my old job and making a lot of money.  

But instead I started my own firm and am doing well enough and growing.

Here's where we differ. Money is crap here at this place. lol   To be fair my wife and I had no idea she would have such dramatic health issues pop up, otherwise I'd have never looked at this job to begin with. It is one that with dual incomes you can make it work easily, but with just one income it is impossible to run a household of 5. So I do construction on the side, thankfully my brother stays busy because he has kept me busy since I left contracting. Gotta get something more permanent before winter though, construction dies by November.

Going to start looking for remote work. I have looked into being a Data Analyst and it actually seems like something I could enjoy and fit around my home life. Google has a certificate that is very reasonably priced, like $40 per month or something. Even if that isn't the end all be all certificate it should be a good introduction and an inexpensive way to find out if that is a career I really want to pursue. If not, hell I've wasted a LOT more money for less. lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

No I completely get it. I'm in large part the same way with kids. Kids are innocent (at least generally, life circumstances are thrown at them and not caused by their own actions) and seeing how many of them are in terrible environments makes me sick to my stomach. Literally. Even shows like Criminal Minds and such make my stomach drop when it mentions a kid is murdered, even though I know it is fake. Makes it hard to enjoy a lot of shows/movies. So when I am working with a kid that has trauma it sticks with me for the whole day. I've expressed this before and that is one reason I was getting so annoyed that they kept pushing it. 

Yep. I could have went to school for counseling, I could have pursued several jobs that would have made more money, but I took this job as a chance to get into the door and only deal with initial crisis. There was no follow up on my part and I was going to be overnights before they took that shift away, so 95% of my interactions were with adults before. If I would have known that I'd be switched to the am shift and most of my interactions would be students I would have never taken the job to begin with.

Here's where we differ. Money is crap here at this place. lol   To be fair my wife and I had no idea she would have such dramatic health issues pop up, otherwise I'd have never looked at this job to begin with. It is one that with dual incomes you can make it work easily, but with just one income it is impossible to run a household of 5. So I do construction on the side, thankfully my brother stays busy because he has kept me busy since I left contracting. Gotta get something more permanent before winter though, construction dies by November.

Going to start looking for remote work. I have looked into being a Data Analyst and it actually seems like something I could enjoy and fit around my home life. Google has a certificate that is very reasonably priced, like $40 per month or something. Even if that isn't the end all be all certificate it should be a good introduction and an inexpensive way to find out if that is a career I really want to pursue. If not, hell I've wasted a LOT more money for less. lol

Look into a SalesForce job, it only takes their certificates. My wife got some of them and then networked, her first job that she signed a contract for was $90k and she hasn’t work for over 20 years raising our kids. In the 9 months she has been there she has had multiple other offers to leave for a different company. She is getting her resume and linkin updated to put out some feelers to possibly job hop but there is also rumors of her company giving her a huge raise. Oh and it is all remote work.

As for me I'm stuck where I am for another 5 years at minimum, can't move can't ask for a raise but it's what I signed up for and I want the retirement.

Edited by blkwdw13
  • Like 1