TABT - HuskieBear Edition

Ty21

I know you are all getting you HBO Max subscriptions fired up to take part in the annual tradition of watching the Costner classic Draft Day next week

But if you have a Disney+ subscription, make sure you revisit one of my favorite Sports Documentaries ever, Elway to Mario

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

I know you are all getting you HBO Max subscriptions fired up to take part in the annual tradition of watching the Costner classic Draft Day next week

But if you have a Disney+ subscription, make sure you revisit one of my favorite Sports Documentaries ever, Elway to Mario

I watched Draft Day before we traded the first to get a logical look at what we could trade it for. I’m still expecting the Panthers to trade a few seconds for the 8th pick and we give them back everything they traded us and David god damn Putney 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

gf leaving town for 3 days next week for work. guess i know what i'll be watching

• Like 1

20 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I've seen that.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Illinois has legit draft talent for first time in forever.

Lovie recruit those guys?  Or did they come after?

If he did, he apparently took long.  

technically, yes, those guys came in during lovie's years.

witherspoon is a potential top-10 pick, he was a 0 star recruit

Sydney Brown was a 2/3 star prospect that i believe illinois was his only p5, maybe d1 offer. chase actually went to WMU because he wanted to be a pilot like his "adopted" father, but after they got rid of the flying program, he transferred to be with his brother

Quan martin was a 2/3 star prospect as well and illinois was his only p5 offer. also had offers from air force, CMU, FIU, and georgia southern.

honestly, lovie didn't focus on the right kind of recruiting - he lived in texas and florida and got eaten alive. all those guys developed into the players they are after he left and bret came in. Ryan Walters was a hell of a DC - just got the HC job at purdue at 37, i think he's the youngest p5 coach out there. Aaron henry was his db coach and just got the promotion to DC. i would put the development on those guys, not lovie

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 1:53 PM, HuskieBear said:

gf leaving town for 3 days next week for work. guess i know what i'll be watching

update - my boss is gone for the day, so i'm watching now at the office.

this movie is so bad, i hate myself for wanting to watching it draft week every year

15 hours ago, Ty21 said:

You were right the first time 

Nah, its just SO close to being a great sports movie. Costner is fantastic, as always, so are most of the other GMs. Even Leary is a great backstabbing coach. Its also one of the few times Ive ever liked Jennifer Garner

It just needed actual sports fans to look over the situation they have set up, to flesh out all of the other Top 10 prospects, and someone not trapped in the 1980s when it comes to the actual Football parts.

If the Jets hadn't backed out at the last second to be the team who had the 1st pick, it makes a whole lot more sense. Seattle may have been the most wrong fit for that team. They they just won the Super Bowl, they had Russell Wilson (makes the Wisconsin QB thing is just too much). Heck, even if they use the Cardinals, or Rams, just not the Seahawks.

And on the other side, Vonte Mack being a MIDDLE LB? FOR A 34 DEFENSE?  They had the idea about him being a sack artist, but he should have been Vernon Gholston with the talent to back it up. But that Comp is why people are afraid to take him. Plus maybe his super agent (Rosenhaus-esque) is a pain in everyone's butt

We should have learned about the Prototype LT prospect, the Diva WR, and the solid as a rock DL who all would be going 2-5 after Callahan, which is why no one will pass up on those guys for a QB that is suddenly on a mystery slide. Not to mention Ray Jennings should have been the Super Back, should have been Bijan, which is why he would even be a consideration at #7.

And then the trade with Jacksonville, even if it gets close on the TVC, its still absolutely preposterous. The Browns should have had a malcontent DB who wont stop causing the issues (do the Tweeting story with him, not Vonte) but he is All-Pro level, who continues to talk bad about Cleveland, since the minute they Drafted him 3 years ago. And thats who they send to JAX along with a bundle of picks for #7. 

One day Im going to fully rewrite that script when I have the time. Its just so close to great. I get they wanted it all to happen on "Draft Day", but we need to know there is some backstory here. That all of these things have been in motion before the final 13 hours prior to Radio City. That the Browns have had talks about #1 for months now, that Antony Molina (owner) has constantly told Costner that they need the 'splash' this year (and NOT at a waterpark) We see Vonte blowing up the Combine, we see Brian Drew's rehab and secret workouts to where he looks amazing. Maybe even see what really happened wit Ray Jennings' fight he got in. We also hear that Seattle (or a better replacement teams) owner is the eccentric one, and this first trade is made without his approval, and he lays into the GM and PoPP saying they better not mess this up, because he wanted his Franchise QB because their current guy is on his last legs or secretly contemplating retirement, even if his Bozo son gave them the go ahead earlier that day.

Edited by StLunatic88

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

My son just had a track meet and qualified for state in all 4 events. I'm absolutely dreading it, track is SO...DAMN...BORING. 😕

I was just talking about this recently lol. I miss playing football and baseball but even though I’m the second best thrower in my high school’s history for track, if I did it all over again I’d never do track. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

I was just talking about this recently lol. I miss playing football and baseball but even though I’m the second best thrower in my high school’s history for track, if I did it all over again I’d never do track. 

My first meet was an invitational with a TON of schools. Needless to say that was my last one too. GF at the time brought a blanket to lie on and i fell asleep, since the girls did their events first, and got sunburnt like hell.

• Like 1