TABT - HuskieBear Edition

Ty21

32 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

Look into a SalesForce job, it only takes their certificates. My wife got some of them and then networked, her first job that she signed a contract for was $90k and she has work for over 20 years raising our kids. In the 9 months she has been there she has had multiple other offers to leave for a different company. She is getting her resume and linkin updated to put out some feelers to possibly job hop but there is also rumors of her company giving her a huge raise. Oh and it is all remote work.

As for me I'm stuck where I am for another 5 years at minimum, can't move can't ask for a raise but it's what I signed up for and I want the retirement.

youre-awesome-dean-winchester-296whd3n84

Seriously, I appreciate that a lot man. I'll be looking into that this weekend.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you are a believer prayers for our guy @Ty21who is awaiting a lung transplant.   

@SugashaneHow is your wife doing?  How is job hunt going?  

I think we need a brotherhood check in.   We have another brother here is going through a real hard time this month, but he cannot talk about it publicly.   Just say a prayer for him.  

How is everyone doing?   

I had a Gout attack for a full 2 months, never had a bout last longer than 2 weeks before, but thankfully my ankle finally feels fine and I can start being active again.   Went on a bike ride this week and have resumed lunch time walks at work.   I might try pickle ball.  

Had to go to doctor last month and get on medication which I was staying away from for about 2 decades.  My wife is a big believer in just controlling it with diet, but I lack discipline to everything necessary to go that route.  I did keep attacks to a minimum for many years by giving up alcohol and red meat.   But, to totally wipe it out I basically have to become vegan and give up grains.

Coming up on first full year of starting my own business.   Real estate market is down 40% so it has made it tough, but I am still paying bills.   My very first client in my new firm came from this forum.   That is special to me.   

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I had a Gout attack for a full 2 months, never had a bout last longer than 2 weeks before, but thankfully my ankle finally feels fine and I can start being active again.   Went on a bike ride this week and have resumed lunch time walks at work.   I might try pickle ball.  

Had to go to doctor last month and get on medication which I was staying away from for about 2 decades.  My wife is a big believer in just controlling it with diet, but I lack discipline to everything necessary to go that route.  I did keep attacks to a minimum for many years by giving up alcohol and red meat.   But, to totally wipe it out I basically have to become vegan and give up grains.

Coming up on first full year of starting my own business.   Real estate market is down 40% so it has made it tough, but I am still paying bills.   My very first client in my new firm came from this forum.   That is special to me.   

Sounds like a worse flare up could be from stress from starting the new business? My good friend had gout that he just blew off and continued living rough. Since he left bartending, it sounds like he’s cleaned it up though. 

29 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Sounds like a worse flare up could be from stress from starting the new business? My good friend had gout that he just blew off and continued living rough. Since he left bartending, it sounds like he’s cleaned it up though. 

100%  I had a real stressful month or two.  Stress causes flare ups more than any other factor with me.

Part of it was my own, part of it was me helping some clients in very stressful situations and me feeling their extreme stress and anxiety and taking it upon myself.   

Plus, I wasn't sleeping for some reason to boot which was exasperating everything and magnifying the stress of events.  I was averaging about 2 - 3 hours a night for a very long time last spring.  I can get by okay on 5-6 hours, but 2-3 hours isn't enough.   

So combination of things kind of got me. 

• Like 1

Wife is doing pretty well. Meds have been in her system for a good month or so and she's more active than she's been in a few months. Struggling with physical therapy but that's more due to trying to ignore the issues she's had for so long.

My boy is killing it in baseball. He's been playing catcher and loves it. As a pitcher he seems to hate people crowding the plate as much as I do, already got one warning that he was about to get booted from the game.

Oldest daughter has been acting like an assistant coach for her team since her arm is broken. Been a big help but she is super mad she's missing the whole season.

Youngest girl is already too competitive. Teeball is kind of a big deal I guess. She's a lefty but switches since she saw me practicing with the older two from both sides of the plate. She's the only one trying in games though. Lol

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 11:09 AM, blkwdw13 said:

Look into a SalesForce job, it only takes their certificates. My wife got some of them and then networked, her first job that she signed a contract for was $90k and she hasn’t work for over 20 years raising our kids. In the 9 months she has been there she has had multiple other offers to leave for a different company. She is getting her resume and linkin updated to put out some feelers to possibly job hop but there is also rumors of her company giving her a huge raise. Oh and it is all remote work.

As for me I'm stuck where I am for another 5 years at minimum, can't move can't ask for a raise but it's what I signed up for and I want the retirement.

Would you mind sharing a little more info on what this job is all about? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Pool said:

Would you mind sharing a little more info on what this job is all about? Thanks!

Seconded.

From just my digging there's a TON of options.

https://trailhead.salesforce.com/

That site has free training courses to kind of see what you can do.

I've spent more time on YouTube than anything. Every answer opens up 10 more questions. Lol.  But the primary jobs I've seen were - Salesforce Administrator, Salesforce Consultant, Project Manager, Business Analyst, Salesforce Developer and Technical Architect. They are the jobs I see that are paying crazy high. I'm still looking around to see what would gain entry level roles that could lead to those jobs though. From the bit I've seen most of these need extensive experience in salesforce so the "career path" is murky for me.

12 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Seconded.

From just my digging there's a TON of options.

https://trailhead.salesforce.com/

That site has free training courses to kind of see what you can do.

I've spent more time on YouTube than anything. Every answer opens up 10 more questions. Lol.  But the primary jobs I've seen were - Salesforce Administrator, Salesforce Consultant, Project Manager, Business Analyst, Salesforce Developer and Technical Architect. They are the jobs I see that are paying crazy high. I'm still looking around to see what would gain entry level roles that could lead to those jobs though. From the bit I've seen most of these need extensive experience in salesforce so the "career path" is murky for me.

I personally don't know a lot about it since I am still in the military for at least five more years. But you pretty much hit the jobs on the head, my wife is a consultant but also has the administrator certificates. Salesforce is a software suite that a crap ton of businesses around the world use to kind of run everything digital for them (this is my dumbed down understanding). As for the extensive experience, like I said my wife for almost 20 years was a stay at home mom didn't work at all since day care for multiple kids is expensive. She got a job shortly after getting the certificates, I think I mentioned it but the best way to get to a job is the networking aspect of it. By us they have these salesforce meetups and they all just talk and network. It also doesn't take anyone super smart to make there way, I went to one of these meet ups with her just to see if it is something I wanted to do on my own time and most of them were a box of rocks I seriously didn't know how they are getting paid as much as they do. Even in my wifes company it's kind of the same, she is getting put on every project and now is a lead on multiple ones in less than a year because she is one of the few competent people and the companies they are doing these jobs for keep requesting her.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

I personally don't know a lot about it since I am still in the military for at least five more years. But you pretty much hit the jobs on the head, my wife is a consultant but also has the administrator certificates. Salesforce is a software suite that a crap ton of businesses around the world use to kind of run everything digital for them (this is my dumbed down understanding). As for the extensive experience, like I said my wife for almost 20 years was a stay at home mom didn't work at all since day care for multiple kids is expensive. She got a job shortly after getting the certificates, I think I mentioned it but the best way to get to a job is the networking aspect of it. By us they have these salesforce meetups and they all just talk and network. It also doesn't take anyone super smart to make there way, I went to one of these meet ups with her just to see if it is something I wanted to do on my own time and most of them were a box of rocks I seriously didn't know how they are getting paid as much as they do. Even in my wifes company it's kind of the same, she is getting put on every project and now is a lead on multiple ones in less than a year because she is one of the few competent people and the companies they are doing these jobs for keep requesting her.

Thanks again man.

That makes a lot of sense too. When I am looking at some of the jobs it may say 3 years experience in ___________ but that could specifically be for outside applicants. Those who have a good internal record like your wife were probably able to move up quicker since they already KNEW she was competent with the system/processes. When I was working in sanitation I was much happier with potential management hires that had worked in the company without a degree than a college grad looking to make their first real job, there was a level of understanding with the job they already had so I wasn't starting from scratch (plus the shock of how gross the job could be really messed with the 22 year old guys who had only done some customer service based jobs   lol).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Thanks again man.

That makes a lot of sense too. When I am looking at some of the jobs it may say 3 years experience in ___________ but that could specifically be for outside applicants. Those who have a good internal record like your wife were probably able to move up quicker since they already KNEW she was competent with the system/processes. When I was working in sanitation I was much happier with potential management hires that had worked in the company without a degree than a college grad looking to make their first real job, there was a level of understanding with the job they already had so I wasn't starting from scratch (plus the shock of how gross the job could be really messed with the 22 year old guys who had only done some customer service based jobs   lol).

And literally she got one of her last required certificates at the end of May 2022 and got hired on mid July of 2022, funny thing she did the interview while we were on a cruise.

Oh she's putting out resumes like crazy right now possibly looking to job hop to get a big raise. She has had a few offers and informal requests so she is seeing what she can really jump up to.

Edited by blkwdw13
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

Oh she's putting out resumes like crazy right now possibly looking to job hop to get a big raise. She has had a few offers and informal requests so she is seeing what she can really jump up to.

I bet, and best of luck to her on that job hunt. For the jobs I listed there were a TON that were projected to be paying at like $120K to $140K. Just crazy good money.

And even as someone who was hiring people constantly for 2ish years, there isn't a company alive that won't replace us at their earliest convenience, so our loyalty should reflect what is given to us. IE - Get that bag. lol

• Like 2

I helped fund and build a Christian school in Uganda.

They are building it as we speak.  It is what they asked for, when asked what they needed and wanted.  Options of Hospital, etc.  It is for them.  

The village has no electricity.  It had no water - until we dug a well for them.

They have no machines or equipment.  It is being dug and built by hand.  It does have brick and cement.

The playground equipment was shipped in.  So that is commercial.   The kids have never seen or been on a playground before.   The playground isn't completely done, but they are already using it.   To see the videos is amazing.

I don't know if you guys know the game "wood chips" but that is a game all the kids play on playgrounds now a days in States.   It is quite fun.  I described it to our contact over there and I am hoping they try it out.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I helped fund and build a Christian school in Uganda.

They are building it as we speak.  It is what they asked for, when asked what they needed and wanted.  Options of Hospital, etc.  It is for them.  

The village has no electricity.  It had no water - until we dug a well for them.

They have no machines or equipment.  It is being dug and built by hand.  It does have brick and cement.

The playground equipment was shipped in.  So that is commercial.   The kids have never seen or been on a playground before.   The playground isn't completely done, but they are already using it.   To see the videos is amazing.

I don't know if you guys know the game "wood chips" but that is a game all the kids play on playgrounds now a days in States.   It is quite fun.  I described it to our contact over there and I am hoping they try it out.

My wife takes 2-3 showers/baths a day and I always thought if she ever died prematurely, I'd remember her by going to a third world country and helping with water filtration, clean water/well digging, etc. Cool cause.

• Like 3

I have decided that I need to become really wealthy.

Wife’s company put us up in a 5* resort and covered everything. Lots of down time and hammock laying and massages and top notch food. I feel like I could live my best life if I could just make that something I do all the time. 🤷‍♂️