Who went no.1 overall and who should have gone no.1 overall?

Kiwibrown

5 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

I think Jamarcus has to be one that stings the most. The next two picks were hall of famers and I'm curious if there's ever been THAT big a bust followed by two hall of famers....and Peterson will likely get in as well who was picked a few picks later.

Patrick Willis and Darrelle Revis we’re also picked in that top 15, too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

I think Jamarcus has to be one that stings the most. The next two picks were hall of famers and I'm curious if there's ever been THAT big a bust followed by two hall of famers....and Peterson will likely get in as well who was picked a few picks later.

Maybe Tony Mandarich? Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas and Deion Sanders picked right after him. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Trojan said:

Is this hindsight like so and so went 1, but other guy made HOF so they shoulda been first. Or is it hindisght, but like would have been realistic at the time? Like does Brady go #1? Either way Joe Thomas (or the what would have been a realistic Al pick in Calvin Johnson) over Jamarcus.

These are my questions as well. Because then you might argue RW over Luck kind of thing.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Patrick Willis and Darrelle Revis we’re also picked in that top 15, too.

Was that the same draft? I feel like those guys were younger than Adrian Peterson & Joe Thomas.

EDIT: I was being lazy. Googled it & you're right--same draft. Wow, what a great draft class that was!

Edited by BetterCallSaul
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Was that the same draft? I feel like those guys were younger than Adrian Peterson & Joe Thomas.

EDIT: I was being lazy. Googled it & you're right--same draft. Wow, what a great draft class that was!

I recall those two because the Texans passed on them both (as well as Marshawn Lynch) for Louisville DT Amobi Okoye - who amounted to nearly nothing at the NFL level. His claim to fame was being the youngest person ever drafted at 19 years old, but it turned out he wasn’t a good DT. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I recall those two because the Texans passed on them both (as well as Marshawn Lynch) for Louisville DT Amobi Okoye - who amounted to nearly nothing at the NFL level. His claim to fame was being the youngest person ever drafted at 19 years old, but it turned out he wasn’t a good DT. 

yeah, I still remember him being like 16 years old at Louisville..  pretty wild and an unreal athlete as a kid, just didn't work out in the league. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

yeah, I still remember him being like 16 years old at Louisville..  pretty wild and an unreal athlete as a kid, just didn't work out in the league. 

He lacked the proper temperament to succeed at the pro level. You have to have some aggression and play with a mean streak at DT - he wasn’t that sort of guy. Good kid overall, overcame some scary stuff post playing career (he had a really rare brain condition - had to spend some time in a medically induced coma, IIRC). Just wasn’t going to work out at this level.

Edit: Wow, forgot he tried to come back post-coma. Was on the Cowboys, don’t think he made it out of TC. But that’s incredible, put into a 13 month coma and losing close to 100 lbs, then getting out of the coma and giving it a shot.

https://memorialhermann.org/services/specialties/tirr/healthcare-professionals/journal/2015/summer/amobi-okoye-history-of-firsts

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

He lacked the proper temperament to succeed at the pro level. You have to have some aggression and play with a mean streak at DT - he wasn’t that sort of guy.

Good kid overall, overcame some scary stuff post playing career (he had a really rare brain disease - had to spend some time in a medically induced coma, IIRC). Just wasn’t going to work out at this level.

Edit: Wow, forgot he tried to come back post-coma. Was on the Cowboys, don’t think he made it out of TC.

https://memorialhermann.org/services/specialties/tirr/healthcare-professionals/journal/2015/summer/amobi-okoye-history-of-firsts

dang, I never even heard about the post career stuff... that's rough... hope all all is going well for the man now.

And that was a good read..  I liked the end when he said something like we take for granted what we are put on earth for... seems like a really good man. 

Edited by fluhartz
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

With how the Raiders handled the pre-draft process, I don't see how he's not the worst draft pick of all time.

Matt Millen is the worst GM in NFL history, is picking #2, and unprompted tells Al Davis to not draft Jamarcus by providing him first hand info that Russell couldn't get through 5 minutes of talking football without wanting to leave.

"He couldn't even pretend" was an actual quote. And they still took him. (Millen later said if the Raiders took Calvin, they'd have taken Adrian Peterson, but that was hindsight so take it with some salt.)

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

With how we handled the pre-draft process, I don't see how he's not the worst draft pick of all time.

Matt Millen is the worst GM in NFL history, is picking #2, and unprompted tells Al Davis to not draft Jamarcus by providing him first hand info that Russell couldn't get through 5 minutes of talking football without wanting to leave.

"He couldn't even pretend" was an actual quote. And they still took him.

...and the Browns tried to trade UP for him and Al Davis said no...and the inept Browns lucked into Joe Thomas at #3 instead. What a "South Park Little League" vibe that mess had.

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

...and the Browns tried to trade UP for him and Al Davis said no...and the inept Browns lucked into Joe Thomas at #3 instead. What a "South Park Little League" vibe that mess had.

I never imagined the pick could actually get worse but turning down a trade would do it. That's incredible.

And holy hell is there a toxic, bust QB that you haven't either traded for or tried to trade for at some point? That's like Larry King levels of stepping on unnecessary landmines.

I never imagined the pick could actually get worse but turning down a trade would do it. That's incredible.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/browns-qb-draft-history-could-be-worse-they-wanted-to-take-jamarcus-russell-in-2007/

And then there's this postscript, shared last week by former Browns GM Phil Savage: In 2007, holding the No. 3 pick, Cleveland liked LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell. Had the Raiders not taken Russell with the top choice, Savage says he would have drafted him. His pick instead that year: tackle Joe Thomas. Russell's an all-time bust, Thomas an all-time great. Imagine that: Saved by Al Davis. So the team's best draft choice of this century turned out to be part luck.

And holy hell is there a toxic, bust QB that you haven't either traded for or tried to trade for at some point? That's like Larry King levels of stepping on unnecessary landmines.

You'd legitimately have better luck pulling names out of a hat for 30 years. Talk about statistical outliers. As much as I loathe and hate the Browns for the Watson debacle, at least I get it...what's 3 1sts and a quarter of a billion dollars guaranteed in the grand scheme of their history since their return in comparison?

• Like 1