Who went no.1 overall and who should have gone no.1 overall?

Kiwibrown

7 hours ago, scar988 said:

2001 - Drew BRees should have been the pick over Michael Vick.

LaDainian Tomlinson was the better prospect than Brees tbh. Vick was special though and passing on him would be such an identity change for ATL. It's unfortunate what he did that ended his time there, but I don't think you pass on him in retrospect... but if you do I think it's LT. If you are revising to the point of undoing the Mike Vick trade (5 for 1) it's the Chargers pick also, and I think they pick LT too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

LaDainian Tomlinson was the better prospect than Brees tbh. Vick was special though and passing on him would be such an identity change for ATL. It's unfortunate what he did that ended his time there, but I don't think you pass on him in retrospect... but if you do I think it's LT. If you are revising to the point of undoing the Mike Vick trade (5 for 1) it's the Chargers pick also, and I think they pick LT too.

If they re-did the trade with the Chargers, LT and Brees would have killed it here in Atlanta. 

3 minutes ago, scar988 said:

If they re-did the trade with the Chargers, LT and Brees would have killed it here in Atlanta. 

Brees was the Chargers pick and not involved in the trade though.
1.1 and 2.32 (no Texans existing) was San Diego, 5 was ATL. I think the Chargers go LT #1, and Brees #32 if undo the trade, like same thing as #5 LT #32 Brees post trade.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Brees was the Chargers pick and not involved in the trade though.
1.1 and 2.32 (no Texans existing) was San Diego, 5 was ATL. I think the Chargers go LT #1, and Brees #32 if undo the trade, like same thing as #5 LT #32 Brees post trade.

Naw, I think the Chargers go Vick at 1, and then the Falcons have 5 and take Tomlinson and then get Brees in the 2nd that year bc chargers wouldn't go with 2 Qbs. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 7:20 PM, ET80 said:

Mario Williams over Reggie Bush was right.

Jadevion Clowney over Khalil Mack was wrong.

David Carr over Julius Peppers was wrong.

(Jeez, I’ve lived through a lot of these).

We ultimately ended up with David Carr, so the universe righted itself.  At least on our side. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Sam Bradford over Suh

Jamarcus over Megatron

Mandarich over Barry (not technically the 1-2 picks although they were on draft day)

Travon Walker over Aidan 😏

Lions have done very well at #2. 🙂 To bad, they did build compete teams around them. Imagine if we had rookie wage scales back when the Lions had Calsin, Stafford and Suh. 😢

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Lions have done very well at #2. 🙂 To bad, they did build compete teams around them. Imagine if we had rookie wage scales back when the Lions had Calsin, Stafford and Suh. 😢

It does seem like whenever the Lions pick at #2, the #1 team screws up. Even in 1988, they traded down from 2 to 3 and took Bennie Blades, and Chris Spielman with the second round pick they got. KC got Neil Smith though so they did good too.

Only exception was 2003, Cincinnati got Carson Palmer, not that bad, and the Lions got Charles Rogers.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 9:49 PM, Trojan said:

Is this hindsight like so and so went 1, but other guy made HOF so they shoulda been first. Or is it hindisght, but like would have been realistic at the time? Like does Brady go #1? Either way Joe Thomas (or the what would have been a realistic Al pick in Calvin Johnson) over Jamarcus.

For me i think it would need to be these 3 guys were considered 1a 1b 1c talent wise and all 3 were looked at possible 1st overall pick candidates at the time.   Not hey this guy taken in the later half of the 1st round ended up a hall of fame player and should have been taken higher.  Because they weren't thought of they way coming out :)

On 4/28/2023 at 11:58 PM, Forge said:

I was only considering those who actually would have been reasonable first overall picks at the time of the draft. Basically considering it from a perspective of those who had a real choice to make at number one

So from the first draft I followed properly:

Year - Actual - Should Be

2008 - Jake Long - Matt Ryan

2009 - Matt Stafford - Matt Stafford

2010 - Sam Bradford - Ndamukong Suh

2011 - Cam Newton - Von Miller

2012 - Andrew Luck - Andrew Luck

2013 - Eric Fisher - Lane Johnson

2014 - Jadeveon Clowney - Khalil Mack

2015 - Jameis Winston - Amari Cooper

2016 - Jared Goff - Joey Bosa

2017 - Myles Garrett - Myles Garrett

2018 - Baker Mayfield - Saquon Barkley 

2019 - Kyler Murray - Nick Bosa

2020 - Joe Burrow - Joe Burrow

2021 - Trevor Lawrence - Trevor Lawrence 

2012 and 2021 are hard as there really weren't any viable alternative no.1 overall candidates. Some bad years too where there aren't any good realistic choices.