Lunatic's FINAL Mock

StLunatic88

Ive come to an opinion, and while its been an underlying implication to other Mocks that Ive done, this one its very much on the forefront of the moves made. Im not sure Poles likes this Draft class, at all. Yes we got an absolute HAUL for #1 (future 1/2 and a #1 WR) but if we really loved some guys in the Draft, we probably would have hung on longer and tried to stay in the Top 4. And Honestly, Im really starting to agree. There are some guys I like alot, but theres just no one I NEED to have. That even includes Jalen Carter, who is my #1 prospect, by a pretty comfortable margin. (comes down to 'want to' and Ive heard things I dont like)

As for the Draft itself for this one, Im leaning into a bit of the Chaos that is currently being talked about (mostly because its more fun, and thats what the Simulator did in front of me) All 4 QBs went in the Top 4, then it was 2 of the D-lineman and the Top 2 CBs. Which leaves us staring at Jalen Carter at #9...

NFL Draft

R1: #9 – TRADE to New Orleans for #29 + #40 + Denver's 2024 2nd Rounder

• We make a MASSIVE Trade down, and most of you are going to hate it. But even with all of the OTs on the board, we drop all the way to the end of the 1st, but its because not only do we add another high 2nd, but also a future 2nd (gambling that the Saints are going to be bad again) but also because I think we have started to over inflate some of these OTs that many are saying we HAVE to have. They are good, but none of them are Franchise changing Tackles. Id like to have just about any of them, but Im not going to be devastated like some of you if we dont. The Saints still think they are Contenders, as their ancient roster shows, but Im betting the wheels continnue to fall off, even after grabbing a shiny new defensive toy to replace the 6 guys they lost from the DL.

R1: #29 Anton Harrison OT Oklahoma

• Some (including myself initially) overlooked Harrison as an option for the Bears. But I think he could be a great fit for what we need right now, as well as moving forward. I find him as just as good of a pass protector as anyone else in the Draft right now. Plus he has the length and athleticism that we are looking for along with that Pass Pro. I havent even talked about his feet, which I think are his best asset right now, and allow him to keep speed at bay as well as hold up against power (although less than the speed)All of this comes with some downside to him right now though, he isnt a great run blocker. But he isnt bad either, its just he doesnt have power to uproot a defender or anything. He can shield block very well, and anchor enough that its not a hindering the run game. He should get better there with some more strength and good weight (has the frame to add that) and as he refines the technique. He has the right demeanor, he just needs coaching. Id bet pure power running teams shy away from him, which is why he slips alittle at the end of the first, but in our Zone scheme, hed be great. Id have him slot in at LT, and flip Braxton over to RT and just call it a day.

R2: #40 – TRADE to Washington for #47 + 2024 3rd Rounder

• This seems to be the best case scenario for us, as we get to 40, and both Centers are still on the board. Id expect atleast one off the board, and that would probably make me select the other at #40. But this situation allows u to drop down a bit, and recoup some future assets. You might think I may be getting cute with some of these move downs, but I do truly believe we may value the future picks over this years, as we may be looking at some young Vets to acquire mid-season and next offseason, as well as using them to make sure we get the right players in next years draft. The only players worth looking at here when this Trade came across was Bresee whos medicals bother me, and Keion White, who Im willing to chance as well (Adeboware went one pick ahead of our pick).

R2: #47 John Michael Schmitz OC Minnesota

• The gamble pays off, and we are able to take one of the Centers. Seems this forum's preference would be Joe Tippman (myself included) but the more I look the more it would seem that the Bears pick would be JMS. Guy is absolutely plug and play, Id say he should be the Bears Center for the next decade assuming we dont change the offensive scheme. Now he isnt going to be dominant, or probably ever get the national recognition that he should, but he will alway have the line ready, and should be super solid in his play. Thats an a to the Line we desperately need as we try to rebuild on the fly for Fields. Im not going to b shocked if he goes in the late 1st, but Id sure love to have him.

R2: #53 – TRADE to Tampa Bay for #82 + 2024 2nd Rounder

• This is a bit of an odd one, I had a guy who I was all set to pick, based on pure value (Mazi Smith, although I dont love him or anything) but Hendon Hooker was still on the board, and Tampa came in with a hammer offer. Ive said that I dont have alot of difference in prospects from like 55-80, so getting a future 2nd for what could be a middling-bad team is great value here. I had to go back and look and see why the Bucs didnt just take him with their pick in the 50s, but I guess they made a package deal to move around in the 1st and didnt have that selection any longer. Weird things happen, but I do think the Buics (as well as the Vikes and Seahawks) will be the ones targeting Hooker in the 2nd.

R2: #61 Derick Hall DE Auburn

• A lot of us are on Hall at this point, and Ive talked myself so much into him that I think Ill be shocked if we dont come out of this weekend with him. I wouldnt be heart broken or anything, just generally surprised. But he does give off all the characteristics of exactly what Flus wants to build his defense around. And while the DE isnt what makes this defense work (we all know its the UT by now) Hall could quickly become the heart and soul of the defense, which would be just as important as the most talented player out there.

R3: #64 Keanu Benton DL Wisconsin

• Seems like this may be a coveted pick at the Top of the 3rd, but weve already made some big moves, so I passed up on all the offerings. It also helped that weve already grabbed some extra assets. As for the pick I absolutely LOVE Benton as a DL prospect. It is completely independent of scheme fit, as he is a bit unorthodox of a UT, and a tad small to be a NT in here, but the thing is, you wont have all perfect fits, and If Benton can be the 3rd man in our ideal rotation and slide in for reps at both UT/NT it would be a great rotation. Always a plus to have a former wrestler along the lines.

R3: #82– TRADE from Los Angeles (C) for #85 + #239 + 2024 6th Rounder

• Im not locked in on anyone left here, an Id be all about some of these small deals to move around and gather late picks next year, which sets us up for next year to make this similar type of moves to ensure we get our guys. The only note about who was still available, Jaelyn Duncan who would have been a great pick here had I not been able to grab Harrison in the 1st.

R3: #85– TRADE from Baltimore for #86 + 2024 6th Rounder

• Just another little move, which was actually for them to grab Ducan, who was still there after the Chargers trader. I wouldnt have predicted these little deals, but they were offered, so Im taking advantage, and I just dont think there are any Must Haves in this range.

R3: #86 Zach Harrison DL Ohio St

• Ive laid out why he is a great project pick, and I took him even earlier here. Seems like he has everything we would want in a DE for this defense, just less sure if he will ever hit those ceilings. Honestly Id be really happy if he only gets halfway there and is a super solid/reliable end tp pair with the superstar on the other side. But he should be an immediate rotational piece amongst those guys who can play inside and out for this D-line

R4: #103 Kayshon Boutte WR LSU

• I just realized that if we hang on to this pick, we will get to debate it all Friday night/Saturday Morning long. And actually might be the pick that gets us some good future return, depending who is still on the board. I didnt have any good offers, and the guys I really wanted (Jayden Reed/Kyu Blu Kelly) went right at the end of the 3rd. But here is a guy who has legitimate Superstar potential outside of the Top 100 picks. Yes there are some risks, but I think pairing him up with DJ Moore could be the best thing for him. We solidified the foundation of this team in the first 5 picks, so its time to take one home run swing.

R4: #129– TRADE with Dallas for #133 + #218 + #258

• There is one guy who is still on the board that I really want. I tried to make like 5 different trade ups to get him,, and he kept slipping. We send only a few extra 7ths that we have to jimp like 4 spots, and grab the last guys who I really want, even it it actually creates a Surplus for ourselves.

R4: #129 Wanya Morris OL Oklahoma

• Ive been talking about Wanya for months now, and I honestly believe he will go in the early 4th (maybe late 3rd if someone is desperate) but we were already set with grabbing Harrison in the 1st, and Boutte was available at 103. But here we suddenly find some GREAT O-line depth. Morris has the measurables, athleticism and strength that he could fit in at Tackle or Guard for us. We honestly dont have a guy I see as reliable backup at either spot right now even after the 2 previous OL picks (Whitehair at G would be solid) but with the injury history of Jenkins, we need to be prepaird. Not to mention Im not sure Jenkins is here next year, much less on a new contract. So right now Morris becomes your utility man, and then could take over at either T or G in 2024 depending where Braxton ends up.

R5: #136 Riley Moss DB Iowa

• Moss is a favorite of mine, but in my mocks he kind of more represents more of the idea of grabbing some versatile DBs this year. Seems like Eddie is going to be good to go, and we have 2 starting CBs so Im not sure we are for sure finding a guy in this drat that can crack the starting lineup, but Moss could be a nice do-it-all playuer in the secondary, and we can find out where he best fits ion the league. I still think its at Safety, but if he can be a CB that would be even better. An actual playmaker who gets overlooked, would also add to the identity of the Defense that I think we are looking to build (big, explosive, playmaking)

R5: #147 Colby Wooden DL Auburn

• Ive been staring at Wooden for a while now (funny that I ended up with 2 Auburn DL and 2 Oklahoma OL) and the more I watched Derick Hall, the more I also wanted Wooden. Guy is built exactly how we want a UT to be. He is long, uses leverage well with good/stong hands and is more of a rusher than a run defender. He is quicker than strong, which has been a concern for some, and many see him as a tweener, but that is actually great for us. Taking a shot on traits here, could be washed out in a few years, could be the next coming with the right coaching. Probably somewhere between that chasm of predictions

R7: #239 Brenton Strange TE Penn St

• Im back on Strange, and if he really does fall into the 7th I HAVE to have him. Guy is the perfect H-Back/Fullback an he  has hands that he can still be a weapon that alot of defense will overlook. Some have him going early on day 3, and I can see it, but most project him in the 7th, and that would be a steal of a pickup in my mind.

Kind of a lot to follow due to trades however going into 2024 with two 1's, three 2's, and two 3's is sweet (I do like the players drafted though), but my main takeaway is dropping 20 spots is a ton to only swap 1's and get two 2's. Yes it does match up on the trade chart, but it just seems light if that makes sense; in 2018 KC moved up 17 spots and swapped 1's and got a 3rd + the following year's 1. Next year's 1 is what I'd have to get from the Saints here

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

2023 Bears Roster

QB: Justin Fields, P.J. Walker

HB: D'Onta Foreman, Khalil Herbert, Travis Homer, Khari Blasingame

TE: Cole Kmet, Robert Tonyan, Brenton Strange

WR: D.J. Moore, Chase Claypool, Darnell Mooney, Velus Jones, Kayshon Boutte, Equanimeous St. Brown

OL: BAnton Harrison, Tevin Jenkins, John Michael Schmitz, Nate Davis, Braxton Jones, Cody Whitehair, Lucas Patrick, Alex Leatherwood, Wanya Morris, JaTyre Carter

P/K: Trenton Gill, Cairo Santos, Patrick Scales

DE: Derrick Hall, Rasheem Green, Zach Harrison, Trevis Gipson, Darius Robinson

DT: Dremarcus Walker, Andrew Billings, Justin Jones, Keanu Benton, Colby Wooden

LB: Terrell Edmunds, TJ Edwards, Jack Sanborn,  Terrell Lewis, Sterling Weatherford

DB: Jaylon Johnson, Eddie Jackson, Jaquan Brisker, Kyler Gordon, Kindle Vildor, Jaylon Jones,  Riley Moss, Michael Ojemudia, Josh Blackwell

Just now, beardown3231 said:

Kind of a lot to follow due to trades (I do like the players drafted though), but my main takeaway is dropping 20 spots is a ton to only swap 1's and get two 2's. Yes it does match up on the trade chart, but it just seems light if that makes sense; in 2018 KC moved up 17 spots and swapped 1's and got a 3rd + the following year's 1. Next year's 1 is what I'd have to get from the Saints here

I get it, but its all about the value of the players in the draft. And I just dont think all that many teams see alot of value in these top of the draft guys compared to through the end of the 1st. There just arent alot of guys teams are desperate to go get. To me, getting 40 would be way more important than a 2024 first here, as there will absolutely be guyhs there who will be immediate impact guys for this team, that may not still be around at 53

I'm not sure we make that big a trade down in the 1st...would seem like a big gamble...I could maybe see then trading down multiple times but not this big a jump...

If we did I really like Harrison in this scheme and if they don't have full belief in Braxton at LT it would make a ton of sense...JMS would be a really solid pick at that spot...I'm a big fan of Hall...no way I see Benton getting out of the mid 2nd round...I like Zach Harrison & Morris but I am not sure they last that long...a little too early for Boutte for me but I do like the gamble on him...I think the last 3 picks would all be excellent at those spots.

55 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm not sure we make that big a trade down in the 1st...would seem like a big gamble...I could maybe see then trading down multiple times but not this big a jump

I definitely recognize that hat it’s a big risk. But I’ve soured on a lot of this draft class. Or atleast where they are going. I don’t see much difference in PJJ to Harrison. Or from Wilson to Murphy, etc. When there are this many prospects with warts, I’d rather get more swings (and future swings) at them than pretend that we can obviously identify who’s better. 

57 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

If we did I really like Harrison in this scheme and if they don't have full belief in Braxton at LT it would make a ton of sense...JMS would be a really solid pick at that spot...I'm a big fan of Hall...no way I see Benton getting out of the mid 2nd round...I like Zach Harrison & Morris but I am not sure they last that long...a little too early for Boutte for me but I do like the gamble on him...I think the last 3 picks would all be excellent at those spots

I agree that some of these guys are going higher than they did here. But on this exercise they were still available, so I picked them

17 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

not only do we add another high 2nd, but also a future 2nd (gambling that the Saints are going to be bad again)

you're giving Denver's 2nd in this trade, so the gamble that the saints are going to be bad seems off.

it's a big drop for sure, but i can't argue with the players who are taken, nor the picks received (2 2s, 3, 2 6s). I would love to say "X player wont be there then" but of course none of us know anything for sure (I will be the *remember jake kirkpatrick* drum until the day i die).

would really like going into next draft with 2 1s, 3 2s, 2 3s, 4, 5, 3 6s, and a 7 tho. that would be nice

• Like 1

I'd argue to do this many trades down he'd have to love the depth of the draft class. Going into 2024 with 2 1sts, 3 2nds, and 2 3rds gets me irrationally happy. 

Like all the players but don't know Strange. If he can provide TE depth and give Blasingame competition though I'd be damn happy with him as well I'm sure.