🔥 Pick #7 is in: Tyree Wilson, DL, Texas Tech

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

He's not 100%. He said so in recent interview.

The Raiders didn't expect him at 100% this season. 

Taking an injured player with suspect technique that required a position switch to be playable over an All-Pro player at DT will go down as one of the biggest blunders in Raiders history.

That can in some way explain the lack of explosion and speed but what about the complete lack of technique, counters, hand fighting? That is the biggest disappointment to me I think.

Man, to be drafted by the Raiders, Maxx Crosby is the perfect teammate to sponge information and glean technique from. He’s famous for his eating, breathing, living football. It’s still early of course but something is amiss I feel……..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

he has had 2 strong games the last 2 weeks. The defense has been looking amazing the last 2 weeks.... is this a trend? 

A top 10 pick that doesn't rank in the top 5 for rookies in any category and has 2.5 sacks this year. Dude is Ferrell 2.0

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

he has had 2 strong games the last 2 weeks. The defense has been looking amazing the last 2 weeks.... is this a trend? 

Well, the defence I can say has been playing very well given their talent level certainly. Wilson has had a few flashes but we’re kinda setting a low bar on a top ten pick if that’s his best performances though. I sincerely hope he pulls his socks up and starts to dominate but I’m also a realist and starting to worry a little if I’m honest.

• Like 1

Still, for a rookie who was drafted so high and with so much potential, to be putting up such pedestrian, replaceable, backup DE numbers just because you're not at 100%.....is still pretty indicative of his ceiling IMO. 

He's done not one thing to show me "oooh, that's what we get to look forward to" in an entire year. Even if he wasn't 100% to start the year, he has to be darn near close to it now. If he's not healthy by now, it's a mental issue, not being able to play at full pace because you're scared of reinjury? 

I'm all for being patient but at the same time once a certain amount of time goes by, I start putting more weight into your trajectory. Right now he's nothing more than a mediocre rotational piece.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Still, for a rookie who was drafted so high and with so much potential, to be putting up such pedestrian, replaceable, backup DE numbers just because you're not at 100%.....is still pretty indicative of his ceiling IMO. 

He's done not one thing to show me "oooh, that's what we get to look forward to" in an entire year. Even if he wasn't 100% to start the year, he has to be darn near close to it now. If he's not healthy by now, it's a mental issue, not being able to play at full pace because you're scared of reinjury? 

I'm all for being patient but at the same time once a certain amount of time goes by, I start putting more weight into your trajectory. Right now he's nothing more than a mediocre rotational piece.   

I don't disagree, but you could say the same thing about a guy like Ranshawn Gary after his first 2 years. Similar players. Raw and developmental. And it all clicked for him year 3.

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I don't disagree, but you could say the same thing about a guy like Ranshawn Gary after his first 2 years. Similar players. Raw and developmental. And it all clicked for him year 3.

I really wanted him that draft. Thanks for reminding me 😔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Taking an injured player with suspect technique that required a position switch to be playable over an All-Pro player at DT will go down as one of the biggest blunders in Raiders history.

The hyperbole of this statement is laughable. You have to be incredibly shortsighted to even remotely think this. 

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

If Wilson ever learns to use his hands he will be a problem. Kind of crazy to get to the NFL and not have a swim move in your bag lol 

I think that is normal actually. Save the really polished guys like Nick Bosa, most these guys win in college with speed and size. They don't have to do much else. Koonce is a good example right now. You really see his hand fighting improving every week now. 

29 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I think that is normal actually. Save the really polished guys like Nick Bosa, most these guys win in college with speed and size. They don't have to do much else. Koonce is a good example right now. You really see his hand fighting improving every week now. 

Naw koonce always had technique it was just strength and size issues imo. Coming out of college he had a toolbox of moves. Just couldn’t get a nfl coach to believe in him until pierce. 

• Like 1

I have to be honest. He was the last player I wanted us to draft. When Jalen Carter fell to us, I was screaming for us to draft Carter.

I understood why we wouldn't/couldn't draft Carter after the Ruggs situation, but the one player I did not want was Wilson.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and see if he develops but I have my doubts.

If by some miracle Dallas Turner drops to us in this next draft, that's who I want. If Tyree develops into a stud in the meantime, all the better for us.

I'll give him time but I ain't counting on him.

• Like 3