🔥 Pick #7 is in: Tyree Wilson, DL, Texas Tech

RaidersAreOne

18 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

The trouble is usually if a DLine is going to be something you’ll see flashes, you’ll see traits that will then be developed, for example when watching rookie Malcolm Koonce you could see he had ‘something’ in his rookie year. You could see the explosiveness, the bend, the quickness and some rudimentary moves. Now, we didn’t see a lot as they didn’t play him but you get glimpses. 

Or take my boy Nesta for example, his game tape shows glimpses of explosiveness, they show him blowing the line up and collapsing the pocket, they show his short area quickness and leverage. He might never amount to anything but the tape clearly shows skills there. I’m genuinely struggling with Wilson to see anything on tape.

With Tyree, we should see flashes of something, we should see a move by now or a counter. We should see him destroy a third string guard or use his length to blow up run plays. He simply has no moves, he hasn’t improved that at all which is worrisome. Even his so called ‘traits’, he’s not really using his length, or strength, his bull rushes have been predictable, laboured and ineffective against 2nd and 3rd stringers. He doesn’t even get his hands up in the passing lanes for goodness sake. I get that he was injured and recovering last year but what is most worrisome for me is that he’s had so long with a good coach and the best teammate you could wish for as a mentor and what has he flashed that we can be excited about. Even his run defence is iffy as he simply can’t disengage. 

I’d love nothing more than him to be playing possum and explode this year, unleash some awesome moves that he’s been hiding but it seems very unlikely given the evidence. He looks like a poor man’s Jerry Tillery with no moves to me sadly. I’m not saying he’s 100% a bust but man, he’s got so, so far to go based on what we’ve seen.

What’s super weird is that he did begin to show some capacity to be disruptive from inside at the end of the year. Got a few sacks, blew up a few run plays. Nothing spectacular but something to build from. Felt like he was trending upwards - albeit from the lowest starting point.

He’s gone right back to where he was. I just can’t fathom it. It’s why I keep coming back to there being some processing difficulty or something…

One thing is for sure, he will have to show something early on, or he soon lose any chance he has of meaningful playtime and it’s really hard to get that back once it starts to slip away

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, reddevil said:

What’s super weird is that he did begin to show some capacity to be disruptive from inside at the end of the year. Got a few sacks, blew up a few run plays. Nothing spectacular but something to build from. Felt like he was trending upwards - albeit from the lowest starting point.

He’s gone right back to where he was. I just can’t fathom it. It’s why I keep coming back to there being some processing difficulty or something…

One thing is for sure, he will have to show something early on, or he soon lose any chance he has of meaningful playtime and it’s really hard to get that back once it starts to slip away

Yep, totally agree. I don’t know if he was just the beneficiary of everyone else stepping up late last year but I was expecting so much more! After hearing he’d been working out with Maxx and at the Sack Summit I was expecting to see a couple new moves, a counter, maybe some variation but if anything, he seems to have gone backwards. Perplexing 🧐

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

The trouble is usually if a DLine is going to be something you’ll see flashes, you’ll see traits that will then be developed, for example when watching rookie Malcolm Koonce you could see he had ‘something’ in his rookie year. You could see the explosiveness, the bend, the quickness and some rudimentary moves. Now, we didn’t see a lot as they didn’t play him but you get glimpses. 

Or take my boy Nesta for example, his game tape shows glimpses of explosiveness, they show him blowing the line up and collapsing the pocket, they show his short area quickness and leverage. He might never amount to anything but the tape clearly shows skills there. I’m genuinely struggling with Wilson to see anything on tape.

With Tyree, we should see flashes of something, we should see a move by now or a counter. We should see him destroy a third string guard or use his length to blow up run plays. He simply has no moves, he hasn’t improved that at all which is worrisome. Even his so called ‘traits’, he’s not really us or strength, his bull rushes have been predictable, laboured and ineffective against 2nd and 3rd stringers. He doesn’t even get his hands up in the passing lanes for goodness sake. I get that he was injured and recovering last year but what is most worrisome for me is that he’s had so long with a good coach and the best teammate you could wish for as a mentor and what has he flashed that we can be excited about. Even his run defence is iffy as he simply can’t disengage. 

I’d love nothing more than him to be playing possum and explode this year, unleash some awesome moves that he’s been hiding but it seems very unlikely given the evidence. He looks like a poor man’s Jerry Tillery with no moves to me sadly. I’m not saying he’s 100% a bust but man, he’s got so, so far to go based on what we’ve seen.

Would you say we saw flashed towards the end of last year? I feel like the arrow was pointing up at the end of season. 

You're not wrong and certainly concerning given his draft position. Need to hope he's a late bloomer, but that's been every pick the last decade for us unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

With Tyree, we should see flashes of something, we should see a move by now or a counter. We should see him destroy a third string guard or use his length to blow up run plays. He simply has no moves, he hasn’t improved that at all which is worrisome. Even his so called ‘traits’, he’s not really using his length, or strength, his bull rushes have been predictable, laboured and ineffective against 2nd and 3rd stringers. He doesn’t even get his hands up in the passing lanes for goodness sake. I get that he was injured and recovering last year but what is most worrisome for me is that he’s had so long with a good coach and the best teammate you could wish for as a mentor and what has he flashed that we can be excited about. Even his run defence is iffy as he simply can’t disengage. 

This. dline imo comes down to can you beat someone 1v1. If you can you’ll be ok if you can’t you’re gonna struggle. There’s so many diff ways to win. He’s not even really getting push anymore. He’s so far behind it’s sad. I love watching koonce his technique is hella underrated. If Wilson had koonce technique he’d be the next Julius peppers. Watching him vs Dallas he look so uncoordinated like a baby deer learning how to run. The play where he made trey lance look like Mike Vick is disgusting. That’s day 1 stuff all you gotta do is chop your feet. Saw a interview after Dallas where I think it’s was hondo that asked maxx about the young guys. No mention of Wilson. I can imagine it’s not easy tryna teach him.

• Like 1

I knew from the beginning he wasn't gonna pan out. The thing that prolonged it is a fact that because he had the foot injury , the bar was low from the fan base, so whenever he did something (which was very little)a bigger deal was made out of it then it should've been due to the fact that the expectation wasn't high. Now the differences the expectation is for him to do more than just look good for someone with a bad foot.. the guy was really big and talked about a lot so it was assumed that the stuff that people said it was true like for example, he was athletic supposedly, which never showed up on film. he was destined to be a bust. unfortunately, like Jimmy Garoppolo and Josh McDaniels, we were the ones that had to

24 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I knew from the beginning he wasn't gonna pan out. The thing that prolonged it is a fact that because he had the foot injury , the bar was low from the fan base, so whenever he did something (which was very little)a bigger deal was made out of it then it should've been due to the fact that the expectation wasn't high. Now the differences the expectation is for him to do more than just look good for someone with a bad foot.. the guy was really big and talked about a lot so it was assumed that the stuff that people said it was true like for example, he was athletic supposedly, which never showed up on film. he was destined to be a bust. unfortunately, like Jimmy Garoppolo and Josh McDaniels, we were the ones that had to

We had a layup pick in Carter and took Wilson just like with CeeDee when we took Ruggs

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Would you say we saw flashed towards the end of last year? I feel like the arrow was pointing up at the end of season. 

You're not wrong and certainly concerning given his draft position. Need to hope he's a late bloomer, but that's been every pick the last decade for us unfortunately. 

Imo some of that was kinda luck some plays were from missed blocks or that throwaway sack vs chi iirc on the sideline. I can’t think of any play where I could honestly say from start to finish that he won the rep.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Personally, I would say so. He certainly was getting some pressure and disrupting from the inside. Vikings game was the best example of this. Other than that, it was just a flash play here or there.  He did some solid work as a stunt guy as well, which is something I guess.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Honestly, at the time yes, but after watching the last few games again I think I was wanting to see flashes more than he actually started to put things together if you know what I mean.

He did get a couple of sacks but really when you watch it again he still didn't really create much, his getoff was certainly better and he’d obviously worked on that but it still was only below average. He’s still the last one off the line but is comparable to the others rather than being a whole second behind. It’s frustrating as he genuinely is strong and has ideal length. In terms of leverage and hand usage and moves, counters, those types of things I think we saw minimal improvement. 

Looking back in hindsight I wonder was he really improving and showing signs or was he just a beneficiary of Crosby, Koonce and Butler all finally blending well. At the time I was optimistic but it was an emotional response probably. In the cold light of day I think he was better and healthier than he’d been initially but we still should have been expecting more. Funnily enough, yesterday I rewatched the Jets Raiders game and Koonce has a rep where he just bull rushes Becton I think, and literally bowls him over onto his back as he hits the QB just after he throws, that is 6’2 and 245 Koonce and if Tyree did that everyone would be going crazy, we saw the odd thing here and there of course but just nothing you could hang your hat on and say ‘see, that is the talent, that is what’s going to make him great when he polished it up’ I just never saw that.

It is still only pre season obviously, maybe he’s keeping stuff under wraps, but it feels more like we’re making excuses if I’m honest with myself.  Hope I’m wrong, Tyree breaking out would be massive for the team.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Looks way better inside than out

He should definitely play inside. We already have good D ends. I am still holding out hope for him to make the leap in his third year. I don’t expect to see a leap really this year. Maybe better technique but still 4-5 sacks this season. Which would be decent for a DT.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2024 at 5:16 PM, reddevil said:

I know they're slow-rolling it for a reason, but the minute we extend Koonce will be the minute Tyree Wilson is officially a bust. 

They want him to pan out, because it would justify letting Koonce test FA. When they decide Koonce is staying (and won't be cheap barring unforseen regression or major injury), you'll know the plug has been pulled on Wilson being anything meaningful. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Looks way better inside than out

Yes he does. That is a good play by the RE also to be fair. He’s got great length too and uses it there. What I thought was good was to see Tyree reasonably quick off the snap and great that he didn’t hesitate at all, that is good to see. Is it me or is he much slower off the snap and more hesitant at end that at tackle?

• Like 1

I really hope Koonce lives up to the hype some have from him around here. He flashed some serious ability late last season, but can he do it consistently this season? Feel like we are getting way to ahead of ourselves with him. Some in here acting like he's a step below Crosby and a priority re-sign. I see a guy who got some sacks, but still has question marks. 

• Like 1