1.23 - Jordan Addison, WR, USC - #3

SemperFeist

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think that's clearly understood, but the original suggestion was that we would see an increase in 11 personnel, which would be 3 WRs...that's clearly not going to be the case...and when Addison gets going, Osborn gets his snaps cut. 

He was making the claim about 1st down personnel.

10 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

I’ve posted in the entire NFC North today. But I’ve never hated Minnesota. The lions are a dying piece of roadkill you see on the street and laugh at, the packers are an abomination, but the Vikings have always been like an even cousin to Chicago for me. We’ve even had very similar teams and schemes. 

Not really. I don’t know if you were watching the Lions last year but they were not a piece of roadkill. Historically they have been, but they’ve really turned it around as of late. I like their draft picks from the past two years and I sure as hell ain’t happy to face them twice a year now. I think they’ll have a better record than the Bears next season. I never liked the Bears because of the rivalry and the Brian Urlacher/ Lance Briggs defense with Lovie Smith. That was one of the best defenses that I remember. Nothing against you or any Bears fan, but I’m not rooting for my division rivals. 

Edited by Purplepride323

As I mentioned earlier, I am agnostic regarding Addison.  The more I think about it,  I am surprised that the Vikings couldn't find a trade down partner that would have garnered a 2nd round pick.  I don't think they have enough ammunition to move up to into the 2nd. This drafts 2nd round is shaping up to have some great value in my opinion. I really hate that the Vikings are likely to miss out.

3 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

He was making the claim about 1st down personnel.

That's fair to think, but if they want to increase their rushing attack (which they've suggested with the signings), it's going to happen on 1st down, and they'd want Oliver in on that for blocking purposes.  I could be wrong, but I just don't see them spreading it out on 1st down to run the ball.  That would be a waste of signing Oliver...and Ham, for that matter.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think that's clearly understood, but the original suggestion was that we would see an increase in 11 personnel, which would be 3 WRs...that's clearly not going to be the case...and when Addison gets going, Osborn gets his snaps cut. 

Well since we’ll be having more 12 personnel looks, we needed a better WR2 and we got one. I think that the pick makes a lot of sense and fills a big need, but the fact that Deonte Banks was there just makes it bittersweet. I still can’t get over the fact that Byron Murphy, Evans and Booth are the only CBs on the roster. Hopefully we address that today. 

Edited by Purplepride323

3 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Not really. I don’t know if you were watching the Lions last year but they were not a piece of roadkill. Historically they have been, but they’ve really turned it around as of late. I like their draft picks from the past two years and I sure as hell ain’t happy to face them twice a year now. I think they’ll have a better record than the Bears next season. I never liked the Bears because of the rivalry and the Brian Urlacher/ Lance Briggs defense with Lovie Smith. That was one of the best defenses that I remember. Nothing against you or any Bears fan, but I’m not rooting for my division rivals. 

That’s fair. I’m obviously calling the lions roadkill in a historical sense lol. They’re my favorite to win the north this year and I’m afraid of them. Personally, if the bears aren’t making the playoffs but the Vikings do, I’m lowkey hoping they do pretty well. If they won a super bowl, I wouldn’t have the same sinking feeling as when the packers merely make the playoffs. I just don’t feel animosity towards the Vikings. Possibly because my best friend growing up was a fan. Possibly because Minnesota people in my experience are affable and kind. It’s fine if you don’t like my team, I wasn’t asking you to. But I don’t hate yours. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Then what was the point of signing Ham, Oliver and Mattison?

Clearly, the drafting of Addison, along with those signifies more 12 and 22 personnel than 11. 

I guess we'll see. It certainly isn't out of the question and those signings to support the trend that KO may be putting his own touch on the offense rather than following the McVay route. 

I wish the data was available for all downs rather than just 1st down.

Draft Grades:

Grade: A

The wide receiver run continues, much to the chagrin of the Giants and Chiefs. And each of these wide receiver picks gets an A from me. These were the top four receivers and all were taken at a slight discount. Addison is a perfect replacement for Adam Thielen and should be able to step into his shoes sooner than later.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2023/4/27/23653652/nfl-draft-2023-round-1-day-1-live-grades-for-picks-team-needs

Grade: B

The Vikings don’t have very much capital in the 2023 NFL Draft, so whatever picks they have, they need to make them count. One of Minnesota’s biggest needs entering the draft was a complementary threat to Justin Jefferson. They scored just that amidst a run on WR prospects, taking 2021 Biletnikoff winner and USC standout Jordan Addison at No. 23 overall.

Addison was the fourth receiver off the board, and his value lines up with his tape. He’s lighter than preferred in the 170-pound range, but Addison’s an undeniably dynamic athlete with the lateral twitch and change of direction to support his profile both as a separator and a RAC threat. In 2021, particularly, he showcased his ability to win above the rim and rise vertically for passes.

Addison puts extra pressure on defenses with his combined vertical and lateral appeal, and in turn, takes pressure off Jefferson. That in and of itself is a good thing. That said, the Vikings had Will Levis available, and Kirk Cousins is entering a contract year. That might’ve been an opportunity to capitalize on, but maximizing the window with Cousins makes sense.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/overall-nfl-draft-grades-2023/

Analysis: Addison was too strong a value for the Vikings to pass up. He would have been picked earlier if not for his slight build, average top-end speed for his size and occasional drops. Addison is such a tough player, though. He will be a great complement for Justin Jefferson working from the slot.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-draft-day-1-quick-snap-grades-for-all-32-teams

Grade: C

The run on receivers continued in Minnesota, with the Vikings taking Addison to play opposite Justin Jefferson. While the player is terrific, Minnesota had one of the league’s worst defenses in 2022 and still has ample holes. There were terrific options in edge rusher Nolan Smith and corner Deonte Banks as well. Good player, strange pick. 

Jordan Addison (scouting report) is the purest route runner in this class. He plays fast and has good quickness to separate off the line of scrimmage. The former Biletnikoff winner will get to line up opposite Justin Jefferson and see single coverage looks the majority of the time. He can play inside and outside. He can run past you on the deep ball as well as grind out tough yards underneath.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/nfl-draft/2023-nfl-draft-grades-analysis-for-every-first-round-pick/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

That’s fair. I’m obviously calling the lions roadkill in a historical sense lol. They’re my favorite to win the north this year and I’m afraid of them. Personally, if the bears aren’t making the playoffs but the Vikings do, I’m lowkey hoping they do pretty well. If they won a super bowl, I wouldn’t have the same sinking feeling as when the packers merely make the playoffs. I just don’t feel animosity towards the Vikings. Possibly because my best friend growing up was a fan. Possibly because Minnesota people in my experience are affable and kind. It’s fine if you don’t like my team, I wasn’t asking you to. But I don’t hate yours. 

I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing that you don’t hate us. Maybe it’s because we’ve never been dominant in the matchups. I know that the hate for rivals is fueled from the hate of losing to them. Maybe you guys haven’t lost to us enough for you to hate us. Like I said earlier, when I think of the Bears I think of Urlacher, Briggs and that defense. I’ve met a lot of great people who were Bears fans, but I’ll never root for that jersey. I guess that’s just a testament to how good you’ve beaten us in the past.

Edited by Purplepride323

9 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing that you don’t hate us. Maybe it’s because we’ve never been dominant in the matchups. I know that the hate for rivals is fueled from the hate of losing to them. Maybe you guys haven’t lost to us enough for you to hate us. Like I said earlier, when I think of the Bears I think of Urlacher, Briggs and that defense. I’ve met a lot of great people who were Bears fans, but I’ll never root for that jersey. I guess that’s just a testament to how good you’ve beaten us in the past.

You guys lead the series on us by almost 10 games. I think it’s just a mutual respect. We’re both on average pretty mid teams, hence me calling us similar. More often than not we split the series against each other. Last few years you guys have taken it entirely but we’ve fielded some pretty miserable teams. 

• Like 2

In the end, maybe their plan will make sense, and I will have a clearer picture of what it actually is.  I like to consider myself a hybrid, understanding how data can help in decision-making, but don't think it should ever be relied on completely...that a "gut" opinion also needs to factor in as well.  But, I'm not sure where this decision falls in that spectrum and what their plan is, as it seems to be counter-intuitive to BPA, team needs, and value...at least to me.   

Maybe, their grand plan is to just overpower the other team offensively and not worry about the defense (call it a modern-day version of Denny's Vikings) as much yet.  Until they were able to get a rare talent like Moss, all that led to was seemingly endless 1st round playoff exits.  I don't really want to go through that again.

• Like 1