New trade value chart

minutemancl

Everyone, including NFL teams, have been using the Jimmy Johnson chart for years.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

There's a new one that some football nerds came up with that they've been trying to push.

https://overthecap.com/draft-trade-value-chart

The real difference between the two seems to be the value of late round picks. Pick 1 is worth 3000 on both. Pick 200 is worth 9.8 on Jimmy Johnson's chart, but worth 315 in the nerd one. That's about pick 57 in Jimmy Johnson's, so there is obviously a big discrepancy here.

I don't agree with this new one at all. The values seem entirely off. It seems to neglect the fact that those picks actually need to turn into players that need to play well for your team. Picks 193 and 194 and equal to pick 100? I can get into the middle of the 3rd with 2 early 6th round picks (pick 86 is worth 743, picks 178 and 179 are worth 745)? It just does not sit well with me at all. 

Have you seen this new chart? Does it sound as crazy to you as it does to me?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Everyone, including NFL teams, have been using the Jimmy Johnson chart for years.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

There's a new one that some football nerds came up with that they've been trying to push.

https://overthecap.com/draft-trade-value-chart

The real difference between the two seems to be the value of late round picks. Pick 1 is worth 3000 on both. Pick 200 is worth 9.8 on Jimmy Johnson's chart, but worth 315 in the nerd one. That's about pick 57 in Jimmy Johnson's, so there is obviously a big discrepancy here.

I don't agree with this new one at all. The values seem entirely off. It seems to neglect the fact that those picks actually need to turn into players that need to play well for your team. Picks 193 and 194 and equal to pick 100? I can get into the middle of the 3rd with 2 early 6th round picks (pick 86 is worth 743, picks 178 and 179 are worth 745)? It just does not sit well with me at all. 

Have you seen this new chart? Does it sound as crazy to you as it does to me?

While there were a few hold outs, I don't think anyone in NFL uses the JJ chart anymore. As mentioned, there are various other more data driven charts available and several teams have their own in house boards that they use. I don't think we'll have a consensus "everyone uses X board" like JJ again but all of the new charts are much closer to each other anyways with proper value.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

mine is quite similar:

Did you try with and without QBs?

EDIT: Nevermind, thought the grey was the mean not the median. I'm still interested as to why yours is flat near the top, guessing that's due to the poor performance of the number 1 overall QBs in that period.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

18 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Did you try with and without QBs?

EDIT: Nevermind, thought the grey was the mean not the median. I'm still interested as to why yours is flat near the top, guessing that's due to the poor performance of the number 1 overall QBs in that period.

It's not built around pick data, it's built solely around career earnings. 

i.e. Tom Brady factors into the #1 overall pick value and not the 6th round pick. The intent is to map a draft class potential overall.