2.50 - Jayden Reed [WR; Michigan State]

CWood21

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Got through two 2022 games last night. This tape is a grind. Man this is a boring offense. You're scouting tools here, they do nothing exciting whatsoever with Jayden. 

I'm curious if it jumps out to anyone else, but when I saw him he looked like a guy who can excel on option routes because he's a magician at setting up his DB. If he has an option built in, I think he's gonna absolutely dust guys.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm curious if it jumps out to anyone else, but when I saw him he looked like a guy who can excel on option routes because he's a magician at setting up his DB. If he has an option built in, I think he's gonna absolutely dust guys.

Remember, I'm not overly excited about this kid, but.....

I do see some very nice stuff on routes like you talk about above.

There's a lot of quickness and agility there.  I still can't tell if he's straight line fast, but I'm coming away feeling that, with pads on, he's fast enough, for sure.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Somebody posted some tape of Reed working out--whether combine, pro day, or senior bowl I can't recall. He ran a post and his first wiggle created five yards of separation! The route then converted to corner before the defensive back had reacted fully to the first move and the dback was right back in coverage. Reed caught the contested ball anyway.

I wish I had confidence that our coaching staff was up to the task of properly using the talent it seems to be acquiring.

1 minute ago, Uffdaswede said:

Somebody posted some tape of Reed working out--whether combine, pro day, or senior bowl I can't recall. He ran a post and his first wiggle created five yards of separation! The route then converted to corner before the defensive back had reacted fully to the first move and the dback was right back in coverage. Reed caught the contested ball anyway.

I wish I had confidence that our coaching staff was up to the task of properly using the talent it seems to be acquiring.

I noticed multiple times where he'd juke TOO quickly a 2nd time and didn't allow the defender to fully commit to first fake. 

I think whatever that fix is:

1) one less juke move per route

2) option routes

3) hesitating a split second between his double moves

IF he's able to do so, he's gonna be out there breaking ankles like Diggs/Brown/Jennings 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Option routes are more based on coverage reads, if I read zone, I do this, man I do that, or sometimes based on the read player, if the safety goes here, I do this, or there I do that. You're more describing a double move, setting up a DB based on a preconceived route and then breaking him off into another route, and yes, he's brilliant there so far. 

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Very interesting stretch of players here after the trade. Other than Branch (who I did not expect to be there in the 2nd), I probably mocked each of these 46-49 guys a few times to GB. 

Love Jordan Reed, but Keeanu Benton would have been a great pick also. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Very interesting stretch of players here after the trade. Other than Branch (who I did not expect to be there in the 2nd), I probably mocked each of these 46-49 guys a few times to GB. 

I don't think we trade down if we think there was risk of someone getting the guy we really wanted there. Pretty confident Reed was our target all along. Sort of a "surprise" pick, I think we felt good moving back and still getting him.

The others that went 45-49 we'd have just taken at 45 if we wanted them IMO. Those were all guys more or less expected to go around that range.

Right or wrong, TBD, but I think we definitely got our target and got those two bonus picks.

Edited by incognito_man

22 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I don't think we trade down if we think there was risk of someone getting the guy we really wanted there. Pretty confident Reed was our target all along. Sort of a "surprise" pick, I think we felt good moving back and still getting him.

The others that went 45-49 we'd have just taken at 45 if we wanted them IMO. Those were all guys more or less expected to go around that range.

Right or wrong, TBD, but I think we definitely got our target and got those two bonus picks.

I will believe that Reed is the player they wanted and felt they could get away with the move back, BUT to think that only one player was an option there would probably be naive on our parts. It is also possible that they trick bagged themselves there with the first trade back of 3 spots. Maybe White and Martin (both were 30-visits) were the next two players on their board they wanted and were ok with either and were confident one would be there 3 picks later only to get bitten. 

57 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I noticed multiple times where he'd juke TOO quickly a 2nd time and didn't allow the defender to fully commit to first fake. 

I think whatever that fix is:

1) one less juke move per route

2) option routes

3) hesitating a split second between his double moves

IF he's able to do so, he's gonna be out there breaking ankles like Diggs/Brown/Jennings 

I saw those things too.  In the Senior Bowl drill.  No pass rush.  No safety help, LB help....etc.

And I wasn't sure if he was beating someone legit or someone who would be flipping burgers in a few weeks.

I think it could be fun to have a quick, jukesy guy. 

I wonder if MLF will do much jet-sweep with him?  He's no Watson in terms of sprint speed to get around a boundary, so maybe not.  But sometimes a shifty guy might actually be somewhat effective in that role, too?  Fast enough to maybe get around the edge, if the blocking is good; but quick and shifty enough to cut upfield and dart through a gap while defender is running all out to close the boundary?