2.58 - TE Luke Schoonmaker - Michigan

textaz03

18 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Philly is getting praise because they got great value on their picks… not because they happened to go to Georgia.

I officially retract this.  If this was Twitter, I’d delete the post.  Apparently, philly really wants to be the Athens of the NFCE.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Slamman said:

I officially retract this.  If this was Twitter, I’d delete the post.  Apparently, philly really wants to be the Athens of the NFCE.

I feel like we should play into the hype, make them paper champions to lose focus.

and Boom eliminated in the playoffs by big Deuce

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

1 hour ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

I feel like we should play into the hype, make them paper champions to lose focus.

and Boom eliminated in the playoffs by big Deuce

Sadly, the hype is deserved.  I really believe our entire draft was dedicated to stopping phillys offense.  But philly is also setting up to have one of the best defenses in the nfl again.

If they were going to draft a Dalton Schultz clone, why not pay an extra few bucks, keep Schultz, and not throw away another pick on the position?

To clarify: Schoonmacker can literally do a bit of everything. He is an absolute jack of all trades at his position, but as is usual, he is a master of none. Whereas there were better blockers, better pass catchers, and better down field options, Schoonmacker makes all of those work to a point. 

It isn't a bad selection. Much like the Mazi pick. What I don't get is the strategy behind it. Schultz didn't exactly get a huge payday, and he was affordable for what he provided. If you weren't going to aim for the stars at this spot, you could have either kept Schultz or kept developing the two rookies from last year who both look just as promising as Schoonmacker if not moreso 

It was as if they felt like, well we missed out Kincaid, so let's just come back in the second round and take a guy we know can play some for us. And in doing so, passing on top very elite level ceiling guys like Torrence.

Not a bad pick. Not a good pick. Just a sensible pick. With a nonsensical strategy.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

6 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

If they were going to draft a Dalton Schultz clone, why not pay an extra few bucks, keep Schultz, and not throw away another pick on the position?

If Age is the topic, then I can argue for him he is more pro ready than Schultz while they came out.

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

13 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

To clarify: Schoonmacker can literally do a bit of everything. He is an absolute jack of all trades at his position, but as is usual, he is a master of none. Whereas there were better blockers, better pass catchers, and better down field options, Schoonmacker makes all of those work to a point. 

It isn't a bad selection. Much like the Mazi pick. What I don't get is the strategy behind it. Schultz didn't exactly get a huge payday, and he was affordable for what he provided. If you weren't going to aim for the stars at this spot, you could have either kept Schultz or kept developing the two rookies from last year who both look just as promising as Schoonmacker if not moreso 

It was as if they felt like, well we missed out Kincaid, so let's just come back in the second round and take a guy we know can play some for us. And in doing so, passing on top very elite level ceiling guys like Torrence.

Not a bad pick. Not a good pick. Just a sensible pick. With a nonsensical strategy.

I disagree that we should have re-signed Schultz, even for what Houston gave him. I think he had to go after the back to back screwups at the end of the SF game. But agreed on the rest. Schoonmaker looked just like Schultz to me when I watched him earlier, all the way down to the jersey number, and pick 58 is rich for a Schultz clone.

Generally, I would say of this draft that I like some of the players but dislike the overall process, investing in NT, TE, and LB with your Top 100 picks. As always, hope they all prove me wrong.

1 minute ago, matt79511 said:

I disagree that we should have re-signed Schultz, even for what Houston gave him. I think he had to go after the back to back screwups at the end of the SF game. But agreed on the rest. Schoonmaker looked just like Schultz to me when I watched him earlier, all the way down to the jersey number, and pick 58 is rich for a Schultz clone.

Generally, I would say of this draft that I like some of the players but dislike the overall process, investing in NT, TE, and LB with your Top 100 picks. As always, hope they all prove me wrong.

That's what gets me ... Is they did all this with three top 100 selections. Ideally these are the slots where you try to select difference makers...not role players.

Everyone disliking the Mazi selection compared it to the Taco pick. I don't. (Mazi is better at least). I compare it to the Felix Jones/Mike Jenkins draft. Because you had some premium picks and you spent them on roleplayers. That is what they looked for in that draft, and in this one: roleplayers.

And it will likely but hopefully not turn out the same way.

I’m coming around on this pick. Sure, he seems like a reach, but there was a serious run on TE’s. Brenton Strange was picked 3 picks later, and it seems like Schoonmaker was generally graded higher by a decent margin.

With that said, just because there is a run doesn’t mean you have to participate in it. I wanted an LG badly, and Torrence was sitting right there. However, he doesn’t seem athletic enough for what they were wanting, and he’s not even that strong in his upper body for such a big guy. He benched 225 lbs 23 times. For reference, Mazi Smith benched 325 lbs 22 times.

Also, I looked back at draft profiles of Ferguson and Hendershot, and Schoonmaker seems much like a much better prospect than both. Not only more athletic, but a better blocker too. I know he’s old, but he may just be hitting his stride. Time will tell.

9 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

I’m coming around on this pick. Sure, he seems like a reach, but there was a serious run on TE’s. Brenton Strange was picked 3 picks later, and it seems like Schoonmaker was generally graded higher by a decent margin.

With that said, just because there is a run doesn’t mean you have to participate in it. I wanted an LG badly, and Torrence was sitting right there. However, he doesn’t seem athletic enough for what they were wanting, and he’s not even that strong in his upper body for such a big guy. He benched 225 lbs 23 times. For reference, Mazi Smith benched 325 lbs 22 times.

Also, I looked back at draft profiles of Ferguson and Hendershot, and Schoonmaker seems much like a much better prospect than both. Not only more athletic, but a better blocker too. I know he’s old, but he may just be hitting his stride. Time will tell.

I don't ever really worry about perceived value and reaching, because if a team covets a player, go ahead and take them. If they fit what you want to do and you think they will be special doing it, there is no such thing as a reach. Dallas "reached" for Fredrick. And Zeke. And others. It works out in the end of the player is precisely who you targeted.

The problem I have is the player himself. He doesn't really scream upgrade or impact player to me. He is a run of the mill do it all depth guy who could crack a starting lineup if you covet his ability to get down field. Which we may, since we have lacked that. But that doesn't mean he himself is that immediate upgrade over the potential Ferguson provides or the potential Hendershot provides.

By comparison, Hendershot athletic ability is up there with guys like George Kittle and his potential to be a deciding factor on offense is through the roof. 

Schoomaker doesn't provide an immediate upgrade over either of those two guys. He doesn't have some standout feature that makes you think, OK, WOW,, this guy in a couple years is going to be a star on this Dallas offensive show. He is just a reliable guy.

And for a pick barely outside of the top 50, you should aim much higher than that.

6 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

By comparison, Hendershot athletic ability is up there with guys like George Kittle and his potential to be a deciding factor on offense is through the roof.

Can you elaborate? Schoonmaker ran a faster time in every drill except short shuttle, where he was .02 slower. He ran a 4.63 40. Hendershot ran a 4.8.

21 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

This is what I’m trying to do to rationalize the pick. Maybe at 25, he’s already a Year 3, Year 4 Schultz level player out of the gate? Probably reaching here, but that’s exactly who he looks like on tape.

Still looks like a bad pick, definitely the  main reason our draft is being graded so poorly. I understand why this team felt it was a priority to replace Schultz though. Dak loves his TEs

What best describes your feeling on this pick?

a) You’re happy with it.  
b) You’re disappointed because you think he’s a worse prospect than other TEs that you preferred.  
c) You’re disappointed because you think he’s a worse prospect than players of other positions you preferred.  
d) You’re disappointed because you don’t think he’s a significant upgrade over what we already have.   
e) Other

2 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

What best describes your feeling on this pick?

a) You’re happy with it.  
b) You’re disappointed because you think he’s a worse prospect than other TEs that you preferred.  
c) You’re disappointed because you think he’s a worse prospect than players of other positions you preferred.  
d) You’re disappointed because you don’t think he’s a significant upgrade over what we already have.   
e) Other

D. 

But I was largely anti TE as a whole.