2.58 - TE Luke Schoonmaker - Michigan

textaz03

1 minute ago, matt79511 said:

Taking back to back guys from the same school just feels so myopic. I know Philly is getting praise left and right for doing just that but still. It gives the impression of tunnel vision and a lack of due diligence

Philly is getting praise because they got great value on their picks… not because they happened to go to Georgia.

2 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

Philly is getting praise because they got great value on their picks… not because they happened to go to Georgia.

I mean, between Carter and Smith this year after Davis and Dean last year, I do feel like a lot of the praise is based on their decision to target players from that defense.

2 hours ago, Northland said:

He's a nice player but not in round 2.  When you look at our 2nd round picks going back to Sean Lee in 2010 there are some hits, however there have been some massive misses.

I don’t understand how they manage to screw up their 2nd round picks almost every year. Sean Lee, D-Law and Trevon Diggs are the only hits since 2010. 

5 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

I don’t understand how they manage to screw up their 2nd round picks almost every year. Sean Lee, D-Law and Trevon Diggs are the only hits since 2010. 

Solid track record in the first round.  Head scratching results in the second.  It's Jekyll and Hyde like.  Schoonmaker will be a nice player, but I will question passing on Torrence.  We have to address OL at some point in rounds 4-7.  Depth in the OL is a concern.

This pick was a reach the Cowboys can spin it any way they want. Torrence should have been the pick. Seems like they were going to pick the best tightend available unfortunately Washington has a medical as he would have been a much better pick. Schoonmake is not really much of an upgrade to what they already have 

7 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

People overestimate the caliber of player teams tend to find in the second round, imo. I wouldn’t call Chido or C-Will busts for instance. An average 4-year starter is a pretty decent outcome. I think the main reason our second round track record looks so bad is because our first round track record is so good.

That said, I do still think this pick was egregiously stupid.